Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of the guys in my unit claimed 3 years riding experience. He said he had an f4i before and he bought a 600rr when we got back from iraq. The other day, we were at cyclegear, and he was looking at aluminum frame sliders. I advised him against them since they don't absorb impact like delrin sliders. His response was "I'm not going to crash". I don't know anyone who'se been riding for 3 years that thinks they wont crash. So I asked him why he wanted sliders if he wasn't going to go down. "They look cool". I like a clean bike more than one with sliders for looks, but the sliders are just worth it. Oh well.

FF one week to today. He's riding in a t shirt (cause he's cool and doesn't need gear) "I'd ride without a helmet if it wasn't illegal...". Riding along at 30mph, I guess he was looking at some chick or something, cause next thing you know, he slams into another one of our newbie riders on a new gixxer 600. His shoulder is broken...bone was sticking out of the skin. The other guy is OK, but his bike isn't.

I almost don't feel sorry for him at all. People with the "I wont crash" attitude are retarded. I've been riding every day for 5 years and I still know I could crash with one little slip up. I still have close calls. Guess there will be even more rules enforced on the riders in my unit now, expecially after the other newbie wrecked his zx-10. Every new rider we have had has crashed their band new sportbike within the month and a half we've been back. Ugh.

·
Registered
646 Posts
About 6 or 7 years ago I had a "friend" who was looking for a bike. Since I had an old Kawi standard that I wasn't riding I offered it to him for a nice price. Well he responded "I want to buy a new bike so all the miles on it are from me". Note: this guy had never ridden a street bike and had about a half hour on a dirt bike. I told him that he might want to buy my bike that way if he dropped it there wouldn't be much of a loss. He persisted that he wanted a new sport bike. My wife and I watched his daughter while he took his dumb self down to the Suzuki stealership and bought a Bandit 600. An hour or two later he walks in and throws his brand new helmet across the room. We look up to see him standing there all p'd off with scuff marks on not one, but both knees. He went on to tell us that on his way home he pulled up at an intersection and dumped it on one side. A couple blocks down the road he dropped it on the other side. So here he is with about 10 miles on the bike and laid down on both sides. I thought it was funny because he had the "it'll never happen to me" mindset and he dropped it twice in one day. I wish I could say that was the only time to dropped it but that's not the case. Another time he dropped it on his commute to work (a 2 mile drive, half of which was residential) because of a Armor All incident.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The moment you think you'll never wreck will be one of the last moments you ever think it.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
I wont crash, is about the dumbest thing anyone can say.....total noob...

I prefer my saying..."God , I hope I never Crash!" LOL

·
Registered
225 Posts
My question is this...Why would anyone in thier right mind. Go and buy a motorcycle and not have a clue what they are doing?
I'm military as well ( coast guard ) and they are are strict as hell with motorcycle safety. You cant ride on base without having taken the proper courses, having the right gear. You have to have insurance. I don't know how it is with the other services but if you crash and dont have the right stuff on, your responsible for all of your medical expenses. It sucks that your boy crashed but he kinda deserves it. That " it wont happen to me" mentality will get you killed.

I have to admit that I am determined to never drop my new 600. I'm still not confident enough to say that It will "never" happen.

·
Registered
428 Posts
to each his own, no flaming anyone in this thread, but all of us were newbs at some point and we all made our own mistakes..some worse than others..and everyone learns at different times..just remeber we are all human and bleed the same color blood

·
Registered
919 Posts
RickRR said:
to each his own, no flaming anyone in this thread, but all of us were newbs at some point and we all made our own mistakes..some worse than others..and everyone learns at different times..just remeber we are all human and bleed the same color blood
yah, but this guy seems especially prime

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we picked up the bike.

forks are bent. swingarm is ground down. subframe is tweaked hard. right peg broken. left rearset bent. all plastics ruined. lots of other minor parts damaged.

I'm guessing totalled.

·
Registered
708 Posts
RickRR said:
Yes we are all newbs at one point or another. Some of us might of been born riding a motorcycle while others did not discover our passion until later in life. Regardless there are distinct differences between newbs. I will classify them as follows

Those who think their invincible
Those who believe their machine can hurt them
Those who think they are going to take AMA/MotoGP by storm
Those who think MotoGP is some form of Motocross and believe Matt Miladin is the fastest rider in the world obviously uneducated individuals
Those who want to ride simply to ride <- These People have Passion

all of these people are very different; some will value gear over a bike mod; some will think gear will inhibit their coolness factor. all in all they are different newbs but regardless each should be judged on their own accord, and not all newbs are created equal.

·
Registered
708 Posts
usmcr6 said:
we picked up the bike.

forks are bent. swingarm is ground down. subframe is tweaked hard. right peg broken. left rearset bent. all plastics ruined. lots of other minor parts damaged.

I'm guessing totalled.
sounds like it; tragic end for another machine it seems

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
usmcr6 said:
one of the guys in my unit claimed 3 years riding experience. He said he had an f4i before and he bought a 600rr when we got back from iraq. The other day, we were at cyclegear, and he was looking at aluminum frame sliders. I advised him against them since they don't absorb impact like delrin sliders. His response was "I'm not going to crash". I don't know anyone who'se been riding for 3 years that thinks they wont crash. So I asked him why he wanted sliders if he wasn't going to go down. "They look cool". I like a clean bike more than one with sliders for looks, but the sliders are just worth it. Oh well.

FF one week to today. He's riding in a t shirt (cause he's cool and doesn't need gear) "I'd ride without a helmet if it wasn't illegal...". Riding along at 30mph, I guess he was looking at some chick or something, cause next thing you know, he slams into another one of our newbie riders on a new gixxer 600. His shoulder is broken...bone was sticking out of the skin. The other guy is OK, but his bike isn't.

I almost don't feel sorry for him at all. People with the "I wont crash" attitude are retarded. I've been riding every day for 5 years and I still know I could crash with one little slip up. I still have close calls. Guess there will be even more rules enforced on the riders in my unit now, expecially after the other newbie wrecked his zx-10. Every new rider we have had has crashed their band new sportbike within the month and a half we've been back. Ugh.
that seems to be the major problem throughout the military
branches from what i read. too many service members coming back from
iraq or overseas deployments/duties and gettin a brand spankin new super/sport bike.
lots of money saved......coming back seeing the sportbike
scene and gas prices will make them want one for sure. that seems to be
the two reasons i get when i ask someone coming back who wants a bike. when im
asked questions about my bike from a young Marine coming back ill try
and educate them as much as i can. tell them to look up the forums of
all the makes and models out there for sportbikes and ask questions about
the particular bike they want and to learn from what they read and so on
before gettin one for themselves.

didnt you have a thread with an anal CO about motorcycles?? well i know
why now. tough luck for you mang.
your GSO should have a quarterly safety meet with all the riders and
potential NOOBS about safety, gear and motorcycle related topics as
a preventative measure. i know that it may not work and the riders will
do what they wanna do...but at least the noobs will have that bug in
their ear and be educated on the basic sh!t thats out there. IMO, uneducated
noobs/riders is majority of the problem these days from what i see and read.

but to each their own....all i can do is learn and educate!

Ken06RR said:
I'm military as well ( coast guard ) and they are are strict as hell with motorcycle safety. You cant ride on base without having taken the proper courses, having the right gear. You have to have insurance. I don't know how it is with the other services but if you crash and dont have the right stuff on, your responsible for all of your medical expenses.
yes its like that for all DOD Military. but its never enforced to
its full extent. i wouldnt wanna be the one to find out though.
i always wear the gear that is stated to wear while riding....except for
the reflective vest when im out in town. once in awhile ill put it on and
especially at nite out in town for my own personal safety reasons.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we have monthly motorcycle safety meetings with the GSO. I've tried to get him to make people read "the pace", but no effect yet. Group riding seems to be when most of our guys go down.

I also always wear full gear...minus track pants if I'm not in the twisties. I don't wear the reflective vest though, only on base. I keep it in my jacket so if I go down and I'm concious I can scrape it up and put it on though :p

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
usmcr6 said:
we have monthly motorcycle safety meetings with the GSO. I've tried to get him to make people read "the pace", but no effect yet. Group riding seems to be when most of our guys go down.

I also always wear full gear...minus track pants if I'm not in the twisties. I don't wear the reflective vest though, only on base. I keep it in my jacket so if I go down and I'm concious I can scrape it up and put it on though :p
yah we have those too with our unit.

well youre the smart one then. =)

the noobs either gonna have to take it in and benefit or
jus gonna have to learn the hard way like you mentioned above.

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
I dont feel bad for either one of those guys in the first 2 posts ( the bikes but not the riders)

There is a diffrence between being a noob and making mistakes and learning from that and being a total dumbass oblivious to common sense and saftey.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
Thats why i dont like riding with Marines man, theyre too fricking stupid, i can count on one hand the amount of times i have. thats not includig my boy who actually got me into riding tho.

damn devil dawgs always thing theyre invinsible or some crap.

·
Registered
344 Posts
lol, funny story

i don't feel sorry for him in the least. if he's too stupid to ride with gear he's hopeless. i love how people say, "i'm not going to crash"....it's not like people who crash think to themselves "hmm...i think i'm going to crash today"....idiots...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
snikwad said:
Thats why i dont like riding with Marines man, theyre too fricking stupid, i can count on one hand the amount of times i have. thats not includig my boy who actually got me into riding tho.

damn devil dawgs always thing theyre invinsible or some crap.
Hey, easy there. I'm not stupid. :bitch_ple

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yep not all us Marines are stupid. A select few of us have plenty of common sense and good judgement when it comes to riding (but most of that few rode before joining too...)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts