Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone-

Ive been riding my VT500 shadow for a while now, and i am selling my car to get a 600ss- i have it narrowed down to the 600rr and the 2004 gix.
R6's are sexy but i dont like the front fender or colors, and the 636 i love, but the tank really hurts my nuts. the gix and 600rr feel good between my legs.

anyway.....

I should have at least 7 K for a new bike- i already have gear. I could scrape together another 1K or a bit more if a new bike is a better idea. If i save money its going straight to insurance and frame sliders....

My question is-
Should I put up the extra $$ for a "new" bike like a 2004 600rr or Gix,

or would it be quite comprable to get a "used" 2003 600rr?

The reason i ask such a question is because i was wondering what type of warranty come with a new bike as opposed to a year old bike... (this probably has alot to do with specific dealer- but what did you guys get out of it?)

My ideal bike is a black 03 , I dont like the silver graphics on the 04's and i dont want to pay more for an identical bike if the only difference is graphics i dont like- UNLESS the warranty/ dealer service / saftey of a New bike outweighs the extra 1500 or so..... I dont want to pay a bunch just to watch it depreciate- not like im reselling it, but i like to pay for what i get..

If i can find a left-over 03 in black i would pick it up, but here in Minnesota they are few and far between... i may have to buy from an independent..

I know this is mostly a prefrence thing- im just looking for some opinions on what you guys did, and if you live in MN your response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

oh- and i did search- i couldnt find anything relevant enough

·
Registered
360 Posts
Why don't you look in surrounding states for dealerships that have a new '03. If they have one, make a nice weekend trip... riding the bike back will speed up the break-in process. If not bring or rent a trailer. My suggestion, anyway.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good idea- i may just do that... what about if i need the dealer to work on it though? will any dealer service it under a warranty? I am mainly thinking about what role the dealer plays in this game of purchasing the bike, and what they offer over an independent seller other than peace-of-mind of owning a bike that is brand new....

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The factory warranty is good at any Honda dealer nationwide. What they offer is the factory warranty for the full 12 months and a bike that has no more than 5 miles on it. Plus the ability to set everything up with the bike so you can just come in and ride it home without having to go to DMV and call your insurance company.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When ever I need something serviced on my bike or if I have a problem the Dealer ship by me always ask if I bought the bike through them. And after I say yes they always seem to squeeze me in somewhere. So you might want to look into that and ask a few people you might know that have purchased bikes through you local dealer and ask them if the dealer plays favorites with its own cutomers. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
1 2 NV said:
When ever I need something serviced on my bike or if I have a problem the Dealer ship by me always ask if I bought the bike through them. And after I say yes they always seem to squeeze me in somewhere. So you might want to look into that and ask a few people you might know that have purchased bikes through you local dealer and ask them if the dealer plays favorites with its own cutomers. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.
Yea, that can happen, but they cant refuse to work on it, it just might take em longer to get on it.

C

·
0 Posts
what about if i need the dealer to work on it though? will any dealer service it under a warranty? I am mainly thinking about what role the dealer plays in this game of purchasing the bike, and what they offer over an independent seller other than peace-of-mind of owning a bike that is brand new
I think the warranty is interchangeable between owners. It comes with a 1 year, but they offer extended for 4 more years. I would go new from the dealer if you have that much. Otherwise,
here is one on e bay for $6500
http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2477255519&category=49999

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn you guys respond quick- must be a slow day at work, or a shitty day for riding ;-) :D

its not that i have that much- but i should be able to shell out that much with my car sold, i just want to make the best decision for my situation... so the dealer warranty is only good for the first year? and they cover all expenses (not if i drop it or something obviously) what do they do exactly?.....

Thanks for the responses , and thanks for the ebay link but thats about 2000 miles farther than i want to travel.. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what about break-in? I would like to get an 03, but there are none left over from the dealers... so they are all broken-in already... and i get the impression that many who are selling their year old bike babied them and didnt break them in to get the most out of the engine ....

this is just something i have noticed from FS ads for 03 600RR's, they always say "never raced, not beat on, owners manual break-in..etc" i am kind of convinced that a hard break in is better ...
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

i basicly just want a 'new' o3 i guess, id be willing to pay 7K or so, if i am convinced that it might as well be new adn had the oil changed properly and early and was broken in properly

any thoughts? thanks guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts