Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to paint my oem exhaust to give it a different look, until I can afford a slip on... I know I have seen a thread on how to properly clean and prep the exhaust before you paint it, but I can't find it anywhere.. If someone could post that thread, or any tips would be awesome.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I've heard that even high temp paint will eventually flake off. Have you thought about ceramic coating it?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
you could take it off the bike. Clean it up real good (get all the grease, oil, and dirt off of it). Then rough it up with some sandpaper. Then spray it all with a couple coats of some high temp self etching primer. After that Spray it with some coats of High temp engine enamel. Should work, just time consuming

·
Registered
397 Posts
Any auto parts store has high temp spray paint for engine blocks and headers.

I've done a few HEADERS! they come out well. Only one flaked, but the steel was rusty and i didnt clean it off. The stainless headers on my BMW never even chipped. Stained a bit from the oil that dripped on it and burn't off.

conclusion. rust, no bueno. no rust spray paint it.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the high temp paint, I just wasn't for sure if I should do anything to it before I paint it. Suppose to rain all day tomorrow, so I think I'll pull it off an see what happens after work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
In that case give it a shot and post pics! Not much to lose IMO except some time. What colour are you planning to paint it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
High temp spray paint will work well, just make sure to take your time and do the prep work. It will make the paint last longer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used VHT on my exhaust, worked like a charm and looks awesome!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In that case give it a shot and post pics! Not much to lose IMO except some time. What colour are you planning to paint it?
I have the 07 red/silver scheme, so I think I'm going to keep it simple and go matte black.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah I used the 2000 degree, but they have a lot lower rated stuff as well

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

·
Registered
225 Posts
View attachment 59234

Just looked at the paint..so I got the right stuff. Only 48 today. Hopefully it is warmer then 60 Friday.

I did mine in the middle of the winter lol temp didn't matter at least when I did it. Did 2 or 3 coats and installed and idled bike for a few min to cure paint. It'll smoke when its curing, looks kinda cool lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts