Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I Recently Got Back From Iraq And My Baby Has Been Sitting In My Storage Unit For Almost 7 Months. I Went In There The First Day I Got Back(obviously) To Check On Her And I Am Wondering What All Do I Need To Get Done To Make Sure Nothing Goes Wrong When I Am Riding. I Connected The Battery Back On And Its Dead. Thats A Given. It Has Enough Power To Turn The Lights And Everything On But Not To Turn The Engine Over. I Am Thinking That I Need To Get The Oil Changed Along With The Oil And Air Filter And Get The Chain Cleaned. Anybody Have Any Other Advice Or Recommendations. I Am Thinking That I Need To Get The Radiator Flushed But I Am Not Sure If That Along With Some Of My Other Thoughts Are Too Extreme. Im Not A Total Newb But I Have Been On Here For A While And I Have Learned A Lot From You Guys. I Appreciate All The Help And All Advice Is Welcome. Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
696 Posts
The only other thing besides the weekly checks would be your fuel. Did you put some sort of additive to keep the fuel from going bad? If not you may want to drain it and put fresh fuel.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I Appreciate It, And No I Did Not Add Any Additive To The Fuel But It Was Pretty Much Drained When I Left

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
+ 1 on the fuel... most of that oil would be really settled too so no reving during that first start, let the oil circulate a bit and make sure the engine is warmed up properly. Your air filter should be good if it was that way prior to you leaving..

·
Registered
743 Posts
Kinda off subject, but I think a guy got shipped off in a hurry out at Ft. Irwin, Ca. There's a, what looks to be an 06, Kawi ninja sittin in the front parking lot... been there for a very long time. Rain spotted, seat material is shredding from sun rays and wind... Poor guy. Gonna come back from serving our country :icon_salu and find his bike like that... :sad11:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I Am Def. Gonna Get The Oil Changed. And Thanks For All The Inputs. Anybody Think I Should Keep The Same Battery. Wonder If It Will Keep The Charge. Don't Wanna Find Out Somewhere 100 Miles From My House Or Anybody I Know. Lol. Hope Its On A Hill So I Could Push Start

·
Registered
182 Posts
Charge the battery, air the tires and ride! 7 months is not enough time for the gas to even start going bad.
G

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Air filter should be fine, it's just sitting there not really exposed to anything (unless a mouse got up there and chewed through it, it happens!)

Oil and oil filter changed.

You should have filled the fuel tank full then put in Sea Foam or similar. A fuel tank that is nearly empty can get condensation inside. When you fill up the bike put in some (Not all!) of something that has watter wetter - STP gas treatment and the like. Remember, full bottles treat 12-20 gallons of fuel, so just use 1/4 to 1/3rd of a bottle.

Tires do not like to sit for a long time, they will get flat/hard spots. Not much you can do about this but make sure to check the air, they are sure to have leeched.

Wether or not you need a new battery there's no reason not to try and charge the old one. I would personally pull the battery out, take it to a place that can check it, and see if it's okay. If the cells do okay under load, have them charge it or charge it yourself. It's probably harder to run down the battery a lot of times then just once so I think there's a decent chance the battery can come back to life.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yea I Am Def. Gonna Get The Oil Changed. And Thanks For All The Inputs. Anybody Think I Should Keep The Same Battery. Wonder If It Will Keep The Charge. Don't Wanna Find Out Somewhere 100 Miles From My House Or Anybody I Know. Lol. Hope Its On A Hill So I Could Push Start
First, Thanks for serving. If you live near Milwaukee WI let me know I will get your bike running on me.

It is best to store a bike with the gas tank full. It can rust inside and really screw you fuel system.

Don't worry, one time on a newer bike shouldn't have caused this to happen. If you keep storing this way it will happen in time.

Charge the battery and take it to a battery store they will test it for free.
Storing batteries discharged can kill them. But again just once, it could be revived.

I would recommend fresh fuel with a fuel system cleaner like Seafoam.
Today's oils can be stored a long time, so if the mileage isn't up on this oil ride it some then change.

It is better to change the oil before you store to get the contaminants out of the engine. But again once no biggy just don't make a habit of this:)

Hope this helps

P.S. for sure check tire pressure and don't sweat the air filter unless you think rodents have nested.(it happens)
I have to store bikes every year, I'm way to familiar with this stuff unfortunately.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Kinda off subject, but I think a guy got shipped off in a hurry out at Ft. Irwin, Ca. There's a, what looks to be an 06, Kawi ninja sittin in the front parking lot... been there for a very long time. Rain spotted, seat material is shredding from sun rays and wind... Poor guy. Gonna come back from serving our country :icon_salu and find his bike like that... :sad11:
go put a cover on it?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool thanks. also what do u guys recommend for like cleaning my chain before i lube it up again. im thinking some like light soap and a brush. just to get like the pieces of dirt and stuff that got stuck on it

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
For the chain, just use some simple green, clean it real good, spray water on it to get rid of the clearner.. go ride to heat up the chain and get it dry. Go back to the house and get some lube on there. I like Maxima chain wax. Spray it pretty well, then wipe off the excess lube. You'll be good to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Guys, I Recently Got Back From Iraq And My Baby Has Been Sitting In My Storage Unit For Almost 7 Months. I Went In There The First Day I Got Back(obviously) To Check On Her And I Am Wondering What All Do I Need To Get Done To Make Sure Nothing Goes Wrong When I Am Riding. I Connected The Battery Back On And Its Dead. Thats A Given. It Has Enough Power To Turn The Lights And Everything On But Not To Turn The Engine Over. I Am Thinking That I Need To Get The Oil Changed Along With The Oil And Air Filter And Get The Chain Cleaned. Anybody Have Any Other Advice Or Recommendations. I Am Thinking That I Need To Get The Radiator Flushed But I Am Not Sure If That Along With Some Of My Other Thoughts Are Too Extreme. Im Not A Total Newb But I Have Been On Here For A While And I Have Learned A Lot From You Guys. I Appreciate All The Help And All Advice Is Welcome. Thanks In Advance
Where abouts were you mate?
Im on the PCO compound in Baghad with a PSC....Home for a few weeks now though and trying (mostly waiting for stuff to arrive) to stick everything on the bike.

I changed the oil and fuel, filters etc and got it serviced when i got back. I think they are more resilient than we think (fingers crossed)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts