Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys heres my dilemna. I've searched everywhere to include the allmighty Google and to no avail. I am finally moving back t CA frm AK and need to ship my bike. Well I need to come up with 11,000 pounds (military move) so the bike will be going in with my house hold goods. My question is: How or where can i get schematis on building a sturdy crate for it? I dont want to surround it with boxes and i figure with a crate it will weigh more. like I said, I have found nothing on building this crate and my local honda has none. Another thing is companies that manufacture these crates charge an arm and a leg. I should be moving out of here within the next month or so. Hopefully one of yous has an idear...

TIA

·
Testicular Fortitude
8,952 Posts
measure your bike and and buy 2x4s and plywood and build your own..

If I still had CAD i could design you one and send you it via email. Dont have it anymore those. Ask Demented he could probably design you one though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If your handy, which since your entertaining building one, you should be able to design a simple crate sturdy enough to protect the bike. I would suggest measuring your bike, specifically wheel base, width(at handlebars as its the widest point usually), and height(to top of windscreen). Then build a platform with a some cross memebers and lay an OSB floor. Determine the location of the wheels and attach rails so the tires will not slide left or right. For anchoring, I would advise wrapping the tie downs around the floor boards, as opposed to making anchor points. This is a simple idea for a crate. Make it as fancy as you want but the basics should be the same. Just use basic engineering principles and place some diagonal supports to prevent racking of the crate. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the help guys. I guess I'm gonna start measuring to get an idea of how its gonna be. Measure twice , cut once. It would be cool if their was like a diagram or schematics on how to build it. Maybe I'll be the first...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have autoCAD on my computer and would draw a crate design up for you but I just don't have the time right now. Like I said, start with a box, brace it appropriately and it should be plenty strong. Common sense should kick in and you'll realize where you need reinforcements to keep the crate from falling apart.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Dude, the military will provide. Let them know you are shipping a motorcycle as part of your household goods and they will crate it themselves.

·
Testicular Fortitude
8,952 Posts
Dude, the military will provide. Let them know you are shipping a motorcycle as part of your household goods and they will crate it themselves.

true true mine came out has a "coffe table". They made a good crate for it too. put padding and everything on the inside of it. Of course i told them it was my baby and if they hurt it I would hurt them

·
Registered
86 Posts
true true mine came out has a "coffe table". They made a good crate for it too. put padding and everything on the inside of it. Of course i told them it was my baby and if they hurt it I would hurt them
+1 i saw thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Thats what i did, they moved my bike from Pearl Harbor to San Diego. They did a A+ Job.

D

·
0 Posts
measure your bike and and buy 2x4s and plywood and build your own..

If I still had CAD i could design you one and send you it via email. Dont have it anymore those. Ask Demented he could probably design you one though.
If he still needs some layouts I would.

Airborne_Guy, let me know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts