Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..

I need to increase my engine power about +-15hp. I'm racing on brazilian championship and rules allow only to add HRC power up kit. Dont allow to change velocity intake airs, pistons and extras parts. Yamahas and Kawasakis are going to 123ho on wheel, and my cbr600rr 08 has only 110cv.

Someone to help-me? How many HP hrc power up kit can increase?

I have a RAPID BIKE RACE (8 injectors controller + ignition controller + engine brake controller + auto tune + quick shifter) + full custom made exhaust.

I'm afraid to buy HRC power up kit and results are not so good. Actually every one in brazil was leaving 600rr and going to zx6 and r6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is probably a valid reason for that.
Championship organization change the rules just to to equalize the differences between hondas and other brands. Only 600rr can modify cams, gaskets, springs and etc..

But I dont want to go to yamahas or kawas because I have a local honda sponsor.. So want to try to improve my engine.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I am only curious for curiosity's sake what you find out but for help what about writing to Ten Kate Honda. If you're contesting a national series on a Honda they would probably be interested in helping. They are in the Netherlands so you might not purchase the kit from them but they could definitely tell you what it would do for you.

https://www.tenkateracingproducts.com/overig/contact.html

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
mill the cylinder head 0.15mm (HRC specs), set the squish clearance to 0.60mm by using thinner head gaskets (cometic & athena make thinner head gaskets) or milling the cylinder, degree the camshafts by slotting the stock camshaft sprockets, are you racing under superstock rules where no porting of the cylinder head is allowed?

·
Registered
6,774 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mill the cylinder head 0.15mm (HRC specs), set the squish clearance to 0.60mm by using thinner head gaskets (cometic & athena make thinner head gaskets) or milling the cylinder, degree the camshafts by slotting the stock camshaft sprockets, are you racing under superstock rules where no porting of the cylinder head is allowed?

Thanks..

Yes, porting cylinder head is not allowed. How much power I can expect doing what you suggest?

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Thanks..

Yes, porting cylinder head is not allowed. How much power I can expect doing what you suggest?
maybe +5 to +10hp at the most along with radius cut valve seats, it's so hard to get power out of these engines in superstock trim but with a good mechanic you might be able to pull it off.

you can also free up a little hp by making the oil clearances on the crankshaft bearings larger & use thinner viscosity oil like 10W30 for racing, every little bit helps.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have HRC cams, ECU, JE pistons, ceramic bearings, decked head, and some other common race motor mods. It puts 122.4hp 48.1 tq to the wheel. I did the cams last and they added only 2 hp but much better power curve. In my opinion going the Honda route is a waste. I could have had a 130 hp yamaha for less money.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,826 Posts
I have HRC cams, ECU, JE pistons, ceramic bearings, decked head, and some other common race motor mods. It puts 122.4hp 48.1 tq to the wheel. I did the cams last and they added only 2 hp but much better power curve. In my opinion going the Honda route is a waste. I could have had a 130 hp yamaha for less money.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bingo. There is the winner.

Honda wins for durability and rideability, but it is the most difficult and expensive to get more ponies from. This applies to pretty much all of their bikes.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Bingo. There is the winner.

Honda wins for durability and rideability, but it is the most difficult and expensive to get more ponies from. This applies to pretty much all of their bikes.
Certainly. That's been their MO for years. They want it to be a better street bike out of the crate than the others. For a few years now club & superstock racers have been ditching CBR's for R6's & ZX's. When it comes to taking the gloves off though HRC knows how to make weapons out of them. Current World Supersport Champ? Michael Van der Mark, 2014 CBR600RR. Curious what they do to make it competitive on that level.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
i read a story where Honda was developing the 600RR engines for the Moto2 class that they managed to coax 150hp at the rear wheel but the engine needed rebuilding every 2 races which isn't cost effective as they were also after reliability, they they had to detune the engine to 125hp to get decent longevity.

i'd be happy if could get anywhere near 125hp, most of the gains can be had from good headwork (porting, milling, radius cut seats), good pistons aren't cheap & only JE makes 13.5 CR for our bikes, velocity stacks from FW Developments aren't cheap but they are proven alongside the TenKate stacks, then there's the engine management system which costs thousands if you go with the HRC ECU, i'm going the cheaper route with a used HRC ECU combined with a PCV/WB2/LCD200 to tune the fuel delivery to coax as much out of my motor as possible. cams are the last thing on my mind, hard to find & cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Again just out of curiosity but aren't WSS and Moto2 using Motec M800's as the brains behind their money dump chasing power out of the 600RR motor? Definitely not inexpensive there. Brain, sensors, loom, & dash will cost the price of a new Panigale to say nothing of the paycheck to the guy to get something good out of it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
OverRRev, do you know why Honda never publishes its power and torque figures in their service manuals whereas Kawasaki does?

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
OverRRev, do you know why Honda never publishes its power and torque figures in their service manuals whereas Kawasaki does?
i don't know, my guess is as good as yours.

care to enlighten us why?

·
Registered
537 Posts
i don't know, my guess is as good as yours.

care to enlighten us why?
I'm not sure either, first I thought it was because different regions have different power specifications, but Kawasaki gives a few different numbers for various countries.

I suppose it has something to do with them knowing that their power outputs are generally a bit lower and that it may affect sales if it were officially released.

Honda Japan however has published their power outputs, it's severely restricted, something like 78bhp peak. A far cry from 118bhp.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts