Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states I am considering joining a motorcycle club. I want to know your thoughts and opinions on them. The one that I am thinking of joining is fairly new and doesn't deal with any drugs or gangs.

Also, after talking to some members it seems like they are cool with other MC's and like to help out with the community (like a toy run for Christmas).

Yes, there is monthly fees, but that money goes to members of they need it, gas for trips, or back to the community. I'm a little scared and don't want to join HA or SOA... Thoughts?..

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just have this thing about paying to ride with a certain group of people. I have participated in bike events for the community and just paid towards the fundraiser for that particular event to support the community or person in need for example a sick child that needed help with medical bills.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Also, after talking to some members it seems like they are cool with other MC's and like to help out with the community (like a toy run for Christmas).
If you want to give back to your community, there are other ways to do it aside from joining an MC. Like volunteering at a local food bank. Giving your time and sharing your skills at the Boys and Girls Club. Habitat for Humanity is always looking for volunteers.

Yes, there is monthly fees, but that money goes to members of they need it, gas for trips, or back to the community. I'm a little scared and don't want to join HA or SOA... Thoughts?..
Money goes to members if they need it. Sounds like a pyramid scheme.

Gas for trips. If you own a motorcycle and can't afford to put gas in it, then you shouldn't own a motorcycle.

Back to the community. See above.

LOL, bro. One simply doesn't join HA by accident.

Anyhow, I made a majority of my moto friends from riding canyons, hitting up bike nights, and doing track days.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with joining a harmless club as long as they're an honest bunch. Fee structure, community service, whatever... doesn't matter as long as you know what you're getting into. Ask lots of questions first would be my advice. Personally, it's not my kinda thing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Money goes to members if they need it. Sounds like a pyramid scheme.
Lol I never thought of it like that. It's only $15 each month, so it's not that bad.

Gas for trips. If you own a motorcycle and can't afford to put gas in it, then you shouldn't own a motorcycle.
Is for the ladies that don't want to ride on the back of the bikes for a long trip. They can take a car and the money helps pay gas for them.

I don't see anything wrong with joining a harmless club as long as they're an honest bunch. Fee structure, community service, whatever... doesn't matter as long as you know what you're getting into. Ask lots of questions first would be my advice. Personally, it's not my kinda thing.
I still want to join, but I get the feeling that I shouldn't. I will wait a week before I make a decision.

·
Registered
433 Posts
my neighbor is president of his chapter and let me tell you there is A LOT more involved than you think. idk if him being pres has anything to do with that but he talks about quitting all the time because he hates the time he has to put into it. hes 31 now with a kid and two dogs and i can tell he loves his crew but absolutely hates the baggage that come with the club. not to mention i saw him get made into a b!tch in front of hundreds of people for not showing up to an event one time by a HA. that stuff aint nothing to f*ck with, at least not for me. i have enough responsibility as is. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
If you are looking for buddies to ride with... Open a post, either here or on any "non.branded" motorcycle forum.

Even better if the forum is divided by states or cities...

·
Registered
484 Posts
I was considering looking for a non-obscure club to join as well. Only because I don't have any friends who ride.
Decided against it, don't want to pay, don't really want to "represent" anyone either. MC's generally have bad reps. Figured if I go t a trackday or a ride-out next season, I'd probably meet some people that way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am part of an MC. And let me tell you there is way more that goes into aside from paying dues and riding. believe it or not there is a lot of politics, showing up to events (you may not want to go to but are obligated to be there), going to out of town events, meetings, etc. The MC life isn't for everyone. Do your research...as a matter of fact hang around with them for a bit, go to a few events and see if it's for you. If they are asking you to join right off the bat they are probably looking to boost their numbers. There is nothing wrong with hanging around to test the waters, if they aren't willing to allow you to do that then my recommendation would be to walk away.

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you have no social life they are great. If you have one and want to do whatever you want with your own time all the time they don't work out so well. I have a couple friends that belong to em and they seem perfectly happy so for some people its a great option. For me not so much. The references to SOA is funny. Its a TV show.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The references to SOA is funny. Its a TV show.
Haha, and a TV show that doesn't know much about motorcycles, or guns for that matter. When it came out there was this billboard and bus side advertisement. It showed a "bad ass" biker on a Harley with his left hand on the bars, his right reaching back pointing a gun to the rear, and his head facing forward. WTF?

1. if a guy took his hand off the throttle long enough to clear leather and point his gun to someone behind him he'd be slowing so much he'd be going backward to anyone chasing him.

2. Now that he's shooting with his throttle hand what's he going to do if he needs get back on the throttle? Drop his gun in the road or take the time to re holster?

3. If in this image he doesn't care about his pursuers coming up on him because he has what looks like a magazine of 9mm or .40 for them wouldn't it make sense to be looking back at what he was shooting at instead of facing forward like he's screaming "Yee Haaw!"?

I guess it was a cool idea on set of a photo shoot for a bad ass picture but was a glaring "doh!" to anyone familiar with guns or bikes.

Way off topic but whenever anyone brings up SOA in relation to reality it brings this image up.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you're just looking for folks to ride with, scan through the local meetup groups. It's free and doesn't come with any baggage outside of possibly a few a-hole riders. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere than pay to have friends.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont think I like anyone enough to pay to hang out with them. Too many other easy ways to meet other riders. Local FB groups, bike nights, track days, forums and I would imagine plenty of other ways as well. I highly doubt most of those people are as loyal as they pretend to be.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,759 Posts
hahahaha oh man...... the idea of a motorcycle club is just ridiculous. what do you need a formal club for? you want to ride a motorbike, so go do it! there are plenty of like minded folks out there who will ride with you. hell most of my current friends i met through motorcycles, even though a good majority of them don't ride any more, we remain good friends.

just get out there and meet people. paying to be in the presence of a bunch of losers who go around the show circuit to promote their brand of absolutely nothing is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I laugh when I see people with "cuts" on. Especially on a Sportbike.

In my mind there's two types of people when it comes to MC's. 1%ers and everybody else.

I'm not in an MC but I did watch SOA last night.

To answer your question OP, don't. If you want to be a part of a good bunch of guys (and gals) that ride motorcycles, find the nearest track and start riding your bike like it was meant to be riden. Much better than a phony MC. And you won't find any stretched swingarms and mohawks on helmets at the track either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts