·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
Was that T1 at summit JC?
You don't look that bad really.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
you don't look too bad, maybe just drop your head a bit more and to the right. that rear GoPro setup should help you see how you look from the back.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Right hand turns are awkward due to the fact that you are holding the throttle with your right hand and trying to maintain a solid throttle input.

Try holding the throttle like a screwdriver, it will free up your arm and allow you to open up your shoulders to the turn.

give it a shot :)

·
19,904 Posts
Yeah man, where the hell were you?!
broke, thats what... did Rd Atl on easter, and havent seen a track since..
working on a double shot of main in august tho.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You need to use reference points on your bike for right hand turns, don't base your body position off of how it 'feels', base it off of where it needs to be.. let me elaborate..

On a left hand turn, I can have perfect body position based 100% off of feeling because thats just how my mind works, it can handle left handers much better for some reason, plus when you take a left hander it takes less effort and concentration to work the throttle because you can just roll it when you move your body left... on the other hand, in a right hander it feels akward as hell and the throttle takes a little more work, so in order to get perfect positioning I use reference markers.. when I lean it I literally try to kiss the mirror, lean over, move forward and push my head down toward where the mirror would be. I also reference my legs and ass, I will feel for when I have 1 butt-cheek off the seat and my left knee hits a certain lump on my gas tank.. it might feel weird, but its right, and I know that because of my markers...

Try it out :toothy4:

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
Weird. I'm the same exact way. I never thought it was because of my throttle hand position that made right turns so awkward. I feel myself constantly trying to correct myself mid turn, but when I go left my body just naturally slips right into the perfect position.

I thought it was just me. haha.

·
19,904 Posts
Cling is 100% correct. Fine example is T1 at road atl. I nailed that thing all day long, because I had so much time to set up, and I remember straining to "kiss the mirror" so much I felt I was gonna punch myself in the chin with my right hand a few times, yet on lefty turns, it seems to just happen effortlessy.

I can't wait to hit the track again, I've been mildly working on staying low to the tank on my last few rider in the twisties.

·
Registered
355 Posts
practice

yeah, i need to practice that too, i get my head off to the left on left turns, but on right turns, i barley move my upper body.. feels awkward to go any further, good to know i'm not the only one having this

·
Registered
903 Posts
I use to have a lot of problems with the RHanders too. I low-sided back in 2005 at approx. 85 MPH and for a long time, the RH's just didn't work very well for me. I think I had myself psyched out because of it. Last year, while doing a trackday at Nashville, I decided to try and figure it out on T3 as to what was wrong and why I couldn't do RH's very well. So, on every LHer, I paid particular attention to what I was doing.....where were my feet....where was my butt....where was my upper body.....where was I looking!!!! Basically, my RH setup was identical to my LH setup........with ONE MAJOR difference..............where I was looking! On my LHers, I was looking all the way through the corners as far as I need to. On my RHers, I was looking maybe 30 or 40 feet in front of me. As soon as I realized that I was doing that, I started working real hard on making myself look through the corners on the Right side! It was like someone threw a switch on..........day and night difference. I still catch myself not looking through the RHers once in a while, but now I know what to do and it's kind of funny.........when I'm not looking through the corner correctly, the entire RHers feels wrong. When I'm doing it correctly, the RHer feels just like my Lefties.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Meh. I must be the odd one out then, I love right handers, I can do them without bothering myself. But with left handers I have to think what I need to do & how I should do it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wonder if it is a left hand versus right hand type of person or if it is a left brain versus right brain type that would affect ones more comfortable turning strategy.

·
19,904 Posts
^ i doubt it, i think its the throttle that causes the difference

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I think its also looking through the corners as previously stated. I dont know why, but as I am getting faster I catch myself not looking at the exit and its kinda pissing me off. When I consciously tell myself to look through the corner, I do much better. Then the next corner or the one after I catch myself doing the same thing.

I guess its probably cause I am "trying" to go faster and not doing something correctly. Stupid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts