Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Because a cop doesn't cite you for it, doesn't make it less illegal - just means its your lucky day. I would not recommend printing a DOT sticker and adding to a helmet, that constitutes fraud and in the case of DOT regulations, is a Federal (not State) offense. Might seem a trifle, but I wouldn't want to risk going to the pokey over a helmet. Are we being robbed? In many cases, yes. The proper way to address the issue is by writing your Congressman.
Yes we get it, we could go to jail for wearing a non dot sticker'ed helmet.. Or maybe if our plates are tucked slightly, or maybe if we're using non dot turn signals or non dot headlight bulbs, or if we go slightly above the speed limit with our sport bikes ;)

But no need to write this non-issue to our congressmen (are you serious), there are far more important issues out there than this lmao.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes we get it, we could go to jail for wearing a non dot sticker'ed helmet.. Or maybe if our plates are tucked slightly, or maybe if we're using non dot turn signals or non dot headlight bulbs, or if we go slightly above the speed limit with our sport bikes ;)

But no need to write this non-issue to our congressmen (are you serious), there are far more important issues out there than this lmao.
Wear a DOT compliant helmet... or else!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'll chime in.

Bought my Nexx Carbon XR2 Carbon helmet from Germany for $345 shipped to my door. Cheapest I could find it in the US was for around $545 and I am a online shopping Ninja. Shipping took 10 days and I will tell you my heart skipped a beat thinking I had been scammed when I picked up the box from my local P.O. It was so light I thought they shipped sticker and the manual.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I don't know about the US but in Ontario ECE is also accepted for street use. This was a recent and sensible change.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'll chime in.

Bought my Nexx Carbon XR2 Carbon helmet from Germany for $345 shipped to my door. Cheapest I could find it in the US was for around $545 and I am a online shopping Ninja. Shipping took 10 days and I will tell you my heart skipped a beat thinking I had been scammed when I picked up the box from my local P.O. It was so light I thought they shipped sticker and the manual.
Holy hell thats a great price!! Would've kept my carbon zero if it fit my head better, it was a bit narrower than all my other intermediate ovals (rf1200 / rpha11)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I doubt cops look for that decal when they stop you.. If anything, you have better chances of getting stopped for your exhaust vs your dot decal. Harley guys wear plastic buckets on their head with no decals and I'm sure they haven't been stopped lol. But for those that are paranoid, they can always just print a DOT sticker if needed ;)
The bigger concern would be if you are in an accident and are somehow injured to the point lawyers and insurance are involved assessing permanent damage and it's determined your helmet was not DOT compliant. Insurance could easily deny your claim on that basis alone.

Would it happen? I doubt it.

But could it? Yes, especially if it's being replaced by insurance where they want to see the receipt for value and they notice it's not bought in the US.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The bigger concern would be if you are in an accident and are somehow injured to the point lawyers and insurance are involved assessing permanent damage and it's determined your helmet was not DOT compliant. Insurance could easily deny your claim on that basis alone.

But could it? Yes, especially if it's being replaced by insurance where they want to see the receipt for value and they notice it's not bought in the US.
If someone is so worried about and making life choices based on such far fetched improbabilities then maybe they shouldn't be riding a motorcycle... or leaving the house for that matter.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,856 Posts
I have not heard that internal headshapes are different between the same helmet in USA and Japan - do you have some literature on that?

I do know that Shoeis and Arais from Japan will not be Snell compliant (which I prefer.)

the japanese market shoeis are very different than the us market ones. the japanese shape is very much more round (shorter front to back, wider side to side), a large us shell fits me exactly, i can barely get my head into a large japanese shell

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
If someone is so worried about and making life choices based on such far fetched improbabilities then maybe they shouldn't be riding a motorcycle... or leaving the house for that matter.
Personally I think someone who fails to look at the inherant risks and possible long term outcomes of their life choices maybe shouldn't be on a motorcycle or leaving the house either......

Unless you've dealt with an insurance entity trying EVERYTHING to not pay on a claim they should be, you have no idea how something minor like where the helmet was purchased COULD possibly be an issue.

Not saying it is, just saying it could be is all.

·
Registered
862 Posts

I'll chime in on this one. If a claim gets elevated to the point of involving attorneys and courts, then absolutely the rating on the helmet will come into question. The insurance will first broadly deny all claims but likely just settle on covering everything except what would have been "protected" by the helmet. As the claimant, you can try to prove that whatever standard the helmet was rated for is at least as good if not better than DOT, which isn't very hard to do, but you're going to need to provide independent test results (not just some marketing jargon) so it's going to be a huge and a massive headache and probably only result in partial payout at best.

I don't think insurance alone is going to bother going into those depths but if they do catch on, by chance, that the helmet is illegal for US roads, then it's going to suck.

So yeah, that DOT sticker is a big deal even though the standard is garbage.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Personally I think someone who fails to look at the inherent risks and possible long term outcomes of their life choices maybe shouldn't be on a motorcycle or leaving the house either......

Unless you've dealt with an insurance entity trying EVERYTHING to not pay on a claim they should be, you have no idea how something minor like where the helmet was purchased COULD possibly be an issue.

Not saying it is, just saying it could be is all.
Your stance comes across as the polar opposite of what you're arguing against in that one should look at the most extreme possible outcome and base their decisions on that. I'm simply saying that if we all did that, none of us would do anything that involves some risk because we'd all be scared of what could happen.

That is correct and applies to your argument as well. You may be recommending taking precautions and spending hundreds of dollars on something that may not apply to anyone in this country, like trying to sell ice to an Eskimo. However, if you or anyone here has experienced this or if it's a common problem, please chime in and inform everyone.

Perhaps I'm much more of a risk taker, but I don't see the point of wasting time, money, and most of all the emotion of concern on something so minuscule and improbable. I buy quality helmets that pass DOT or Snell inspections and are comfortable, and if I can save a few bucks so I can pay off my house sooner or spend on something else that brings me joy, I will.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If it ever comes to that point, I'll just say I removed it. It is a quantum x after all ;) - sold at your local cyclegear. SNELL rated (both the japan and US version).

Yes, I'm sure if they want to, they can analyze the foam and determine if the helmet was made from the magical jdm rivers of Japan. but lets hope they won't go that far lol.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If it ever comes to that point, I'll just say I removed it. It is a quantum x after all ;) - sold at your local cyclegear. SNELL rated (both the japan and US version).

Yes, I'm sure if they want to, they can analyze the foam and determine if the helmet was made from the magical jdm rivers of Japan. but lets hope they won't go that far lol.
Eh, your call and you've already made the decision. I'm not questioning the safety of one over another but merely pointing out a legal issue. It makes no sense to me either that US won't recognize helmets that are rated by more stringent standards but the guys rolling out the red tape don't care.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Your stance comes across as the polar opposite of what you're arguing against in that one should look at the most extreme possible outcome and base their decisions on that. I'm simply saying that if we all did that, none of us would do anything that involves some risk because we'd all be scared of what could happen.

That is correct and applies to your argument as well. You may be recommending taking precautions and spending hundreds of dollars on something that may not apply to anyone in this country, like trying to sell ice to an Eskimo. However, if you or anyone here has experienced this or if it's a common problem, please chime in and inform everyone.

Perhaps I'm much more of a risk taker, but I don't see the point of wasting time, money, and most of all the emotion of concern on something so minuscule and improbable. I buy quality helmets that pass DOT or Snell inspections and are comfortable, and if I can save a few bucks so I can pay off my house sooner or spend on something else that brings me joy, I will.
You're taking what I'm saying way to extremely and jumping to a lot of conclusions insinuating I'm not about taking risks you deem worth taking. I'm simply stating there are possibilities a person needs to aware of and while the odds are very small it could be an issue, the fact is it's a helmet that does not have the DOT approved stamp it's supposed to have to be legal in this country.

Agree or not, have it be an issue or not, consider is a risk or not, it's the truth; the OP's helmet is, in fact, illegal for use in this country.

If I could get a helmet that fit my head and it happens to be from another country so be it, I'd have no issue buying it. But I'm aware if I'm injured it could come back to bite me. As should everyone else.

As far as chiming in with experience, I've had insurance companies look at my damaged helmet and gear, want to know where I bought them and what I paid for them by sending them receipts, and ask about things I've installed aftermarket during damage claims. They replaced everything without issue.

But if I had a head injury, was being paid out for it and my helmet was from overseas who knows what could have happened.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Eh, your call and you've already made the decision. I'm not questioning the safety of one over another but merely pointing out a legal issue. It makes no sense to me either that US won't recognize helmets that are rated by more stringent standards but the guys rolling out the red tape don't care.
I get you, but chances of that happening like u said, is slim. It's a non issue really, I have more chances of getting bit by a shark than this specific scenario ever happening but guess what, I'll still go to the beach when summer comes lol.

If by chance this exact scenario happens, I don't think it'll be a done and dead deal either.. But either way though, just gotta live life n not worry about every possible consequences/red tape out there, or else we'll all be living inside a cave lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, where did you buy the Astral X. I'm looking for one online but couldnt find a source other than ebay.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts