Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to paint the subframe today with a semi-gloss black spray can cuz i couldnt find any semi-flat black paint anywhere in reno. Keep in mind this was my first time spray painting anything. Took me about an hour or so to prep the bike and another 20 mins sanding down the frame. Then I began doing short light coats on the frame. People told me that it was going to take about 4-5 coats but it took me about 10-13 coats.

After I was done, I went out for about 3 hours and came back home. Looked at the frame and it looks aiite inside the garage but when I shine the light to it, it looks wayyy to dark and not really smooth but theres no sign of dripping paint.. I know this was my first time but Im pretty ocd...Should i sand it down and do it again? or just forget about it?

I wish i can take pics for you guys but my digi camera is broke. Just wanted to vent out. Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
It would probably look better if it was flat black like the frame is...but it sounds like you know what your doing to maybe sand it down again and look harder for some flat black paint. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea...I was being inpatient and decided to go with the semi-gloss. But I went down to the garage and did a few more coats and its starting to look more "smoother"

·
Registered
189 Posts
man thats probably going to chip pretty bad from rocks etc. did you consider PC? if i were you i would put a top coat on it like that dull clear. you know what im talkin about?

edit-was thinking swingarm when i read that at first. probably wont have as much trouble with chipping on the subframe lol

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry for your troubled outcome. I am NOT a paint expert, but to me it sounds like it would look more to your liking if you sanded off a little bit and went over it again with a flat black.

Samson's idea of dull clear sounds solid as well.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
that not-smooth look is called orange peel. Sand all that krap off and do it right this time.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
try using 2000 grit and wet sanding it. clean it, let dry. and recoat. 10- 13, dude is way to much. should only take 5 at most. if patience isnt something you have. take it to a paint shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts