Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally, I wanted to sell my 750 so I can upgrade to a 1000. Having ridden on the track a lot this year, I no longer see the sense of an SS on the roads. Quite frankly, the thrill of an SS is just not there any more, so I'm looking for a different kind of experience.

I don't know what it is, but this morning I woke up and started thinking about supermotos. I want one but the possibilities are endless and it doesn't make my decision any easier.

The kind of riding I do:
  • Fair amount of city riding
  • Little bit of highway
  • Occasional two up
  • Would like to take it to the track every once in a while
I'm a big boy at ~200 LBS so something with a little oomph would be nice.

I don't mind something with a little higher maintenance cost since I won't be putting on a ton of mileage every year.

What are some bikes that I can look at?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,726 Posts
Buy a KTM 690 smc. They are reliable, not maintenance monsters, well equipped from stock, and still do all the hilarious motard stuff while also bring a legitimately useful bike

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,726 Posts
Its just heavier. Probably won't be as easy to toss and skid around. It shouldnt be any slower though.. The smc has plenty of hp

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its just heavier. Probably won't be as easy to toss and skid around. It shouldnt be any slower though.. The smc has plenty of hp
Yeah, seems to be about 50 lbs heavier than the 530 exc.

Just when I thought I was done spending money on bikes! I'm already looking at mods for this bike and I haven't even bought one yet. :drunk:

Wibbly, do you know the difference between the SMC and the SMC-R? Is one just newer than the other or does "R" have more race oriented parts?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,726 Posts
I'm not 100% sure honestly. Think its just a bit lighter and may come with exhaust etc. Don't quote me though

There is a ton of cool parts for these things. I never did a ton with mine. Just a full exhaust and the evo kit. It went like a raped ape though

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
There was a guy at the last track day I went to with a KTM 690(correct me if i'm wrong guys) I believe. He was getting around pretty well in the intermediate and advanced groups. The seat height was pretty high in comparison but that is to be expected on that type of bike. I'm the same when it comes to not having as much fun on my SS when it comes to the street anymore. We went to Blood Mountain over the weekend with a couple buddies. He rides and R6 so we swapped for a bit and he took the Brutale. He got off the bike with a big grin and said I might have just convinced him to sell his bike for a naked.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was a guy at the last track day I went to with a KTM 690(correct me if i'm wrong guys) I believe. He was getting around pretty well in the intermediate and advanced groups. The seat height was pretty high in comparison but that is to be expected on that type of bike. I'm the same when it comes to not having as much fun on my SS when it comes to the street anymore. We went to Blood Mountain over the weekend with a couple buddies. He rides and R6 so we swapped for a bit and he took the Brutale. He got off the bike with a big grin and said I might have just convinced him to sell his bike for a naked.

Yup... Saw this hooligan at one of the earlier track days of the year and I was pretty impressed. That's kind of what started my love affair with the SUMO's.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
The 690 is a fantastic bike and sounds like probably your best option. I'd also suggest looking at the Husky 510. I used to own one of those and loved it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i sold my 1000 and picked up my 600 track bike and shopping currently for a supermoto and where im at right now is between the yamaha wr450f and then just pick up a set of SM rims and tires to hit the streets or the drz400sm both have a lot of power out of the box and w/ a few quick cheap mods u can really unleash them

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i sold my 1000 and picked up my 600 track bike and shopping currently for a supermoto and where im at right now is between the yamaha wr450f and then just pick up a set of SM rims and tires to hit the streets or the drz400sm both have a lot of power out of the box and w/ a few quick cheap mods u can really unleash them
If that was the case, my decision would have been a lot easier.

You used to be able to buy a dirt bike, through wheels on it and make it road worthy. The laws don't allow for that anymore. The only way you can have a true dirt bike converted to SM is if it was grandfathered in.

Disco, a Husky 510 came up in my search a couple of days ago but their dealer network is weak in Ontario. Wouldn't be an easy bike to maintain.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
If that was the case, my decision would have been a lot easier.

You used to be able to buy a dirt bike, through wheels on it and make it road worthy. The laws don't allow for that anymore. The only way you can have a true dirt bike converted to SM is if it was grandfathered in.

Disco, a Husky 510 came up in my search a couple of days ago but their dealer network is weak in Ontario. Wouldn't be an easy bike to maintain.
If you are moderately mechanically inclined, the maintenance is actually not hard to do by yourself. Oil changes are easy and checking & adjusting the valve clearances is pretty simple once you do it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i get the whole grandfathered in rule but theirs no street legal near u on CL? also their tend to be tons of wr450f in IN and MI all around me because their legal plated and insured their does that mean IL will allow me to title it? because technically im not applying for a title i already have a "motorcycle" title

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, after doing some soul searching and compromises, I've decided on the KTM 500 EXC. I'll be keeping my 750 for the day long trips/2-upping/highway rides. This will be a city commuter/hooligan machine. Can't wait... The hunt begins!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts