Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused on exactly what a squid is... I know you'll say it's someone who doesn't wear gear, someone who rides too fast, someone looking for looks... etc.

Truth is... I've done all of the above at least a few times... and I think you'll all be hard pressed to tell me you've never done any of that stuff. Why does this come off as personally offensive to some of you...

2nd post and I'm gettin the boot.... nice.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
'Squid' is one of those terms that means different things to different people. You'll often hear it used interchangeably with 'poseur' (some people spell it poser, but it really does originate from the French word 'poseur').

So, with that said....to me, they are slightly different things. Squid is commonly said to be a contraction of 'squirrely kid' and generally used to denote someone who does not ride proficiently, or is out of control. (Not necessarily fast, just out of control and/or beyond their own abilities such that they would not know how to get out of an emergency situation.)

A poseur, to me, is someone who is into sportbikes for the image. Hence, into it for the looks, regularly rides with little gear, prefers to hang out at Starbucks rather than the track or the twisties. I really have no problem with poseurs....it's a free country. If a guy can admit that he bought a 600RR for his first bike because it looks awesome and it'll help him score with the chicks, I say, hey, at least he's honest! :razz:

You're right that we've probably all fit the above descriptions at one time or another. I started riding about 14 years ago, and in retrospect I probably was a squid for those first 2 years...I wasn't very proficient, actively tried to drag a knee *on the streets* :roll: and generally was not a very good rider.

I was fortunate, though, to have had a group of friends who took riding seriously and always stressed the importance of wearing proper gear. So, the idea of going out in a T-shirt, shorts, and/or sneakers has never crossed my mind, and never will. And I can't say that I was ever into it for the image either. For me it's always been about the ride. Not parking the bike to pose.

- D

P.S. I'm confused by your post. Getting the boot? I didn't see anything in your previous posts (or their replies) that would indicate anyone taking offense...? Anyway....welcome to the board!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quasi888, thanks for your input... I just see all these posts with people ripping on others when it seems we're all a little nuts. My $0.02.

Haven't been posing at the local hangout lately, but I sure as hell don't mind the hard look from that hot girl on the sidewalk when I ride by...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts