Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were the gurus at honda slobberfaced when the kickstand 'foot' design came up? Or was it just an oversight?
It seems to me if the foot of the stand were bigger, it would be more stable and not have the wobble when the bike is on it. You guys think welding a bigger steel plate, maybe 2x the size, would work with no problems. What about a way to put a centerstand on with the fairings in place?
I am to the point of duct taping a rear wheel stand to the bike so I can flop it out every time for peace of mind.. not!

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
the foot really doesn't have anything to do with it.

Unless the bike is sinking into the asphalt. In which case, a crushed soda can under the footstand will suffice.

The bike is unstable because of the length/angle of the stand. Our bikes are alot more verticle when parked than other bikes. You can compare lean angles on any of the other bikes and see that the Honda stands almost completely straight up, where as many bikes lean alot more to the left.

Shortening the stand will give you more lean to the left, but because of where the stand is located, shortening the stand will make the bike more likely to tip over to the left as well since the stand is almost at the very lowest point on the bike already.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wouldn't making the foot of the stand slightly larger in diameter, without efffecting the length of the stand, make it more stable?

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
I agree with Aeteocles. It would only add stabiliy if it's sinking.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Aeteocles said:
the foot really doesn't have anything to do with it.

Unless the bike is sinking into the asphalt. In which case, a crushed soda can under the footstand will suffice.

The bike is unstable because of the length/angle of the stand. Our bikes are alot more verticle when parked than other bikes. You can compare lean angles on any of the other bikes and see that the Honda stands almost completely straight up, where as many bikes lean alot more to the left.

Shortening the stand will give you more lean to the left, but because of where the stand is located, shortening the stand will make the bike more likely to tip over to the left as well since the stand is almost at the very lowest point on the bike already.

this man speaks the truth....

·
Registered
281 Posts
:police: Ok stop right there. You are not allowed to do that. Forget about that idea and never mention it again.

jenga said:
How bout a centerstand? Is it possible?

·
Registered
85 Posts
if you want a center stand buy a vfr

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess it's too much to expect a sensible amount of advice on such a simple question around here. Centerstand was a thought, all you BEAVIS and BUTTHEADS!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Centerstands get flak because they:
1. Weigh substantially more
2. Fugly
3. Substantially lower cornering clearance
4. Are the anthesis of everything a sport bike is designed for

My kickstand is stable...no complaints here. The size of the "foot" is the same as all other bikes, less those massive ducati ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts