Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think there's an ideal weight as a rider? This is not to insult you heavy set guys but I was just curious on riders opinions. Aside from the obvious that a 150lb rider would take advantage of the motorcycles engineering compared to a 250lb rider. To you engineers and physics geeks out there, the motorcycle must have an ideal weight for a rider so the power-to-weight ratio is balanced.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The bike is set up for a 180lb rider (total weight, with gear) stock, from the dealer.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
The bike is set up for a 180lb rider (total weight, with gear) stock, from the dealer.
i do not dispute your statement, but just because that is what factory spec is, does not mean it is the perfect weight...right?
:cruising:

dont quote me on this, but i have heard that the rims do have a specific weight that is optimum, and that if they are too light it would be undesirable. :retard:

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I'm just stating what the bike is setup as stock.
I don't think there is an ideal weight.
Of course the lighter the better as far as power/weight ratio.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I'm 130 pounds and my bike is pretty slow, there must be something wrong with it :p Hahaha.

I'd imagine there could be an "ideal weight" in that there could be an optimum amount of weight pushing down on the tires to make it grip perfectly? I'm sure it can be tested, but no one would go that far just to figure it out, right?

·
Ain't Even Excited
1,769 Posts
I'm with James here.... I am on the underside of what "stock" weight is, rocking a hefty 130 without gear.

I plan to get my suspension tuned here in the next couple weeks and I will try to come back here and let you know what kind of differences I feel from stock setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im 130 lbs 5"9. A bike can be setup for any rider, light guys have seem to have the best power to weight ratio but when it comes down to suspension it can be a bit stiff. Heavier guys exorb the road a bit better but wish they could be faster in manovering and speed. All in all the happy medium would probably be about 150 to 160 lbs

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
105! i get 48 mpg's and 6k miles on tires!

i read an article where some people were saying smaller riders like dani have an unfair advantage, but there are people who say that they can't use their weight to manipulate the bike like a larger rider so who knows

·
Registered
166 Posts
Man I thought I was light at 160, nope we got a bunch of 130 pounders here

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think the argument goes beyond power to weight ratio. Someone else mentioned the riders body weight and its effect on CG during turning. That must be considered. And "zero weight" doesn't end the thread because last i checked the bike is going nowhere without a rider.

As a 150lb guy I have a warning for similarly weighted riders on the 07 + models. Be wary of the stock springs. My 07 had ridiculously stiff springs front and rear from the factory. I think Racetech's calculator had the factory springs working well for a 210lb rider at track stresses.

My first suspension adjustment tech didn't bother to tell me the springs were outside what he could account for in the settings. It put me on my ass a couple of times at the track before I found better support. A complete swap of Racetech springs front and rear and it was a whole new bike.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I am 180, and my bike says, YES!!!!! You are the man!!!!! then I eat a donut and it bucks me off, hahahaha

TIP!!!!

NEVER fill up your gas tank, only fill it half way, you will waste gas carrying the excess around,

1 gallon equals 8lbs of weight, the more weight the harder your car/truck has to work to get momentum

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You don't really understand what power-to-weight means do you? There is no "balancing". More power, less weight. End of

:drunk:
I do understand what power-to-weight ratio is. It is calculated by the engines power output divided by the weight of the vehicle as a whole. Although the factory measurement is not taking into account the additional weight of the passenger, my question is taking into account the additional weight of the rider.

It is very simple minded to argue "more power, less weight" as a conclusion but the adverse effect is if you don't have enough weight to shift to the rear tire, wouldn't that effect your launch from the line and coming out of corners? Like it or not, there is some type of balance.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I do understand what power-to-weight ratio is. It is calculated by the engines power output divided by the weight of the vehicle as a whole. Although the factory measurement is not taking into account the additional weight of the passenger, my question is taking into account the additional weight of the rider.

It is very simple minded to argue "more power, less weight" as a conclusion but the adverse effect is if you don't have enough weight to shift to the rear tire, wouldn't that effect your launch from the line and coming out of corners? Like it or not, there is some type of balance.
Let's not debate this please, I'm looking for an excuse to drop a few pounds :spank:

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm with James here.... I am on the underside of what "stock" weight is, rocking a hefty 130 without gear.
I plan to get my suspension tuned here in the next couple weeks and I will try to come back here and let you know what kind of differences I feel from stock setup.
Im 130 lbs 5"9. A bike can be setup for any rider, light guys have seem to have the best power to weight ratio but when it comes down to suspension it can be a bit stiff. Heavier guys exorb the road a bit better but wish they could be faster in manovering and speed. All in all the happy medium would probably be about 150 to 160 lbs
105! i get 48 mpg's and 6k miles on tires!
i read an article where some people were saying smaller riders like dani have an unfair advantage, but there are people who say that they can't use their weight to manipulate the bike like a larger rider so who knows
Holy crap people let's go for a ride to grab a burger with bacon and cheese then hit up friendlys for some ice cream with extra whipped cream!

Man I thought I was light at 160, nope we got a bunch of 130 pounders here
I'm with you bro I'm 5'9" 175 LBS withOUT gear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.