Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have my bike in my driveway after just cleaning it. I go inside to get a drink and a quick bite. My 15 yr old son comes running into the house, "Dad! I need help". I'm like what!?, what's wrong? I'm like dude, why are you freaking out? "Just come out". So I go outside and here is my bike knocked over on it's side. I lift it up and no major damage. So I'm giving the bike a look over and I see the graphics and tail have minor scratches. I also noticed that the bracket for my slider busted. So now I look at the kid like Homer looks at Bart. I’m what the “F” happened? Turns out he was trying to be cool for his friends and sat on the bike and it tipped over on him. (No he does not have bruises or my hand prints around his neck).

Now, I’m like great, gotta spend money on new sliders. I’m the type of guy that believes you get what you pay for. So I start thinking, my [email protected]$$ bought some off-brand cheap crap in the place which is why they broke so easy…not again.

I bought some LSLs (heard nothing but good about these). I ordered them off of kneedraggers for 150.00 and can’t wait to get them….

So the moral of the story, learn from my lesson, kids will be kids, but………DON’T BUY CHEAP!! I can’t imagine what would have happened if I had “parked at speed”….lol

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Is it safe to assume that someone will be pulling LOTS of extra chores for awhile? Glad you son wasn't hurt, by the falling bike or by you! LOL!!!! So how many times have you heard "I'm so sorry, Dad!"?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sucks dude, but like you mentioned it's a good thing you found out those sliders were crap then rather than on the road. Next time rub his nose in it, he won't do it again.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hopefully your son doesn't plan on getting a bike next year when he gets his license! If so, tell him to hit the gym!!!! The bikes ride alot better rubber side down.

In all seriousness though, glad he wasn't hurt, and you learned about those sliders before they had a chance to really screw things up for ya.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In all honesty, no punishment for the kid. He got a good yelling at, but no punishment. He really is a good kid who keeps out of trouble. He is 4.0 student/athlete (baseball). So it’s hard to punish the kid for one rare mistake. Especially when he was up front and honest right away on how it happened. However, with that being said, he is contributing 50.00 to the “Dad Needs Sliders Fund”.

Definitely glad I learned about the sliders on the driveway vs. road. I hope people read this and learn from my mistake in “saving in the wrong area”. Spend the extra cash when it comes to the sliders and protect your bike right instead of possibly damaging it worse.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
soooo....in a way your son did you a favor by knocking the parked bike over resulting in minimal damage rather than you finding out (hopefully not!) with actual speed resulting in more damage to fairings and engine covers due to crappy sliders. haha sorry I couldnt resist

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
In all honesty, no punishment for the kid. He got a good yelling at, but no punishment. He really is a good kid who keeps out of trouble. He is 4.0 student/athlete (baseball). So it’s hard to punish the kid for one rare mistake. Especially when he was up front and honest right away on how it happened. However, with that being said, he is contributing 50.00 to the “Dad Needs Sliders Fund”.

1+ on that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Now that you mentioned it, your son should punish you for purchasing those sliders. If he had the balls he should have went in and got mad at you. lol

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
+1 on the rear stand. Hell I have almost knocked over my own bike washing it without the rear stand. One thing though, the sliders took the direct force of a stationary fall, if you were going around a turn and lowsided at speed, you are more likely to get the slider to do its job than at zero mph.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
You mean you haven't taught him how to ride?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Somewhere, right now, there is a 15 yr old mowing the lawn...
LOL, Thats right! I can hear it in the distance.

You should really teach him and have him make yard duty rounds to all your 600RR brethrens homes :)

Actually though, he technically, possibly saved you money in the damage that might have happened if you really lowsided with the cheap sliders..

;) Just tryin to help the kid out a bit :icon_lol:

·
Registered
310 Posts
In all honesty, no punishment for the kid. He got a good yelling at, but no puni....
That's good to hear, I was going to have to suggest he chip in for the repairs. He did after all commit the ultimate motorcycle sin. Sounds like you handled it pretty good though, if I may say so.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good parenting call on your side! +1 on that (although i'm in no position to give out parenting advice...but what you did sounds good :D)

Also, you should teach the kid how to sit on the bike and don't let it be an iconic item that he's never allowed to touch or see (i don't know if this is the case) because that would make him want to touch and see it more. Of course, teaching him too much about your bike, might tempt him to take it for a ride...but then again he might do it anyway, so i guess it's better for him to know something about the bike in any case. Even might steer him out of riding with someone at school...(we can ride 125's in Ro from 16...and those kids are pretty crazy, i dnt have to tell you what a bike does to a 16 year old...)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts