Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Southern Cali riders with bad record and paying full coverage only please:

Who are you paying through and how much are you paying?

I'm having the hardest time trying to get my bike insured. That single-no other vehicle-accident is affecting my insurance rates. Oh btw, this is why you don't want to claim your single-accidents through your insurance. It affects not only your car but your bike insurance as well.

I'm getting quoted $1000 a year. That's a lot. Keep in mind this is just basic, minimum requirement 10/something/something.

Got the quote from State Farm - tried 5 different places.

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
i have three speeding tickets in 1 1/2 years nad i only pay 34$ a month full coverage through AAA....

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
teleinfoncarr said:
i have three speeding tickets in 1 1/2 years nad i only pay 34$ a month full coverage through AAA....
Cool but can you be a little more specific. I mean, do you have other vehicles insured with them? If so, that's probably why.

Anyone out there that just have their bikes insured separate from their automobile/home/wateva insurance?

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
Yeah I Have A 01 Ram 1500, On My Policy My Truck Is Considered My Main Transportation Even Though I Havent Driven It In About A Year

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
teleinfoncarr said:
Yeah I Have A 01 Ram 1500, On My Policy My Truck Is Considered My Main Transportation Even Though I Havent Driven It In About A Year
See, I'm tempted to insure my car with my bike but I'm paying such a great rate with my current ins. company that I don't want to let it go. And if I do I know I'll lose out big time.

They're ranked #1 in Socal--better than AAA.

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
Who Are You Going Through Now For You Ins

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
teleinfoncarr said:
Who Are You Going Through Now For You Ins
For my car? Wawanesa. They're located in San Diego. They were rated the cheapest and best service in Socal.

They don't advertise...they rely on their customers: Word of mouth.

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
Hum... Well Best Of Luck To Ya If You Need Any Outher Info From Me Like What The Deductable Is Let Me Know

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have AAA insurance, full coverage on all three (cars and bike on same insurance).
with all the multiple discounts I pay $530/yr for my bike alone, but that will vary based on where you live. Mine is based on santa monica.

but, recently I had 2 points show up on my record for tickets, both of which should not have been on there. I have since removed them but in the interim I got my insurance premium, which doubled with the 2 points (and loss of good driver discount).

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you guys think? You think I should just insured the bike and the car to get the lower motorcycle ins.? I'll give AAA a try.

·
Registered
771 Posts
i got a quote of about 824/year from state farm. i have 1 ticket and an accident that will drop off next year. if i insure both my cars with them the insurance for the bike drops to 363/year....but i think the girl is having a hard time matching my current insurance price (i go thru mercury). I'm going to check out Wawanesa tho, thanks for that Nem.

I currently have liability only for my bike through McGraw and I paid $143/year.

Good luck with finding a good quote. Earlier this year I got quoted $7k/year for full coverage. can u believe that chit? that was before the ticket too. If you want my friend works for State Farm and I can have her call you. Just PM me ur info and i'll pass it on.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'll insure both my bike and car with State Farm because they said the points will drop March of 2007 but I won't see a difference until late September of 2007.

·
Registered
144 Posts
try aaa ive had it for a year. 1st time driver 27 yrs old. i had to put a car in the policy but after almost a year i took off the car in the policy and im paying 487.00 06-07. i had a friend i recommend him to try aaa. he got a good deal considering first time driver and under 21. he had to have a car in the policy thou. but you can take out the car after year and its still cheaper.

·
Registered
771 Posts
it also depends heavily on what your zip code is. apparently where i live there are a bunch of morons who either don't know how to drive or have a history of not having insurance.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
R'aying'R said:
try aaa ive had it for a year. 1st time driver 27 yrs old. i had to put a car in the policy but after almost a year i took off the car in the policy and im paying 487.00 06-07. i had a friend i recommend him to try aaa. he got a good deal considering first time driver and under 21. he had to have a car in the policy thou. but you can take out the car after year and its still cheaper.
That's a good idea, bro.

Thx.

Thx to everyone.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have statefarm insures, I pay $250 dollars a month full coverage 60/30/20 On a 02 expedition 04 chrysler 06 R1 and $250.000 dollar life insures,
It comes in handy when riding a bike. I have a friend that works for statefarm, as a agent, am pretty sure he will hook you up with a better quote then the one they gave you over the phone.
Usually a bike is a recreational vehicle, so they are quoted differently. if an agent does hes work he could give you multy car discount and put you in the less expensive car, making that car your primary vehicle and the bike your spare that you hardly use and you don't even ride or do wheelis or put more then 7500 miles a year, if you know what I mean..Pm me if you want more information or the # hes offices are based in torrance, but everything could get done over the phone....Goodluck
btw I had wawanesa ins also and chaged to statefarm, save me some $$

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I called state farm and they wont be competitive if you dont already have a car with them. they do my homeowners insurance and my broker told me as much...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Okay, I got insured. Kinda sucks but I'm insured.

Here's the jist of it:

I called AAA to get a quote. They see the accident on my record and automatically the rate goes from $2118 (both bike & car at 250 deductible for the bike and 500 for the car) to $3058 a year.

So, I try another State Farm office and I'm getting all sorts of different quotes but they all seem to fall in the $600-$800 every 6 months just for the bike. And if I added my car it would come out to $211 ($49 for the bike and $162 for the car). And that's with 1000 deductible for the car and 500 deductible for the bike, and minimum coverage.

I pull out my Wawanesa policy and it's got 15/30/25, uninsured motorist protection, towing, comp & collision at $500 deductible paying $83.58 a month!!! That's $1003 a year.

I ask him why they charge more than Wawanesa if they're allegedly the cheapest? The agent says, "Yeah, well, Wawanesa is really good."..........hahahaha

So, I end up calling another State Farm office and was able to get the bike insured for $79 a month (sucks man!!). Full coverage, 25/50/25 with a 500 deductible. Not bad.

But the best part of this is that the policy is only good for 6 months which is all I need because my point comes off when my policy ends so I'll be able to get the $42 a month rate. Woohoo! Good thing I didn't add my car with my bike because I would have lost out big time if I cancelled my policy with Wawanesa. If you cancel and try to come back you start all over. Meaning, the insurance company treats you like a new customer, giving you the higher rate.

So, think twice before you total the bike through you insurance. It's not worth it IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts