Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw a posting on here back in May about insurance prices and at that time I had Allstate and saw how much cheaper State Farm was so after looking into it I switched over to State Farm.

On July 24, 2008 my 07 600RR was stolen out of my apt complex parking deck along w/ 2 other motorcycles that night. So I called the police and informed State Farm of my loss. I was told by State Farm there was a 3-week waiting period and after that time they would figure out a settlement, they had me send them all my reciepts, bill of sale etc.

Three weeks passed and State Farm didn't call so I called them. They told me my case had been assigned to a local office so I call that person and go figure she was on vacation. So a week later I called agian when she was back and left a message asking the status. She called back a day later and said "you hear anything"?" I said no and she then requested all the paperwork (reciepts for mods, bill of sale etc) and pictures, 2nd time I faxed this stuff to them to THE SAME FAX number. I e-mailed the pics and got an aknowledgement from there system.

The very next day I get a call from a guy saying he has my claim now (3rd person)and I need to come in to do a statement like I did on the phone w/ the loss dept, also he need all my paperwork (3RD TIME). So I go into give a statement and am basically assualted w/ questions about my finances, bills etc. I calmly answered all questions although not happy about them obviously this guy could care less what happened to my bike and is more interested in me and pointing his finger ever so slightly. Let me clear some things up: I have title in hand. I have reciepts for over $2300 in mods that there not going to cover. Along w/ my bike 2 others were stolen and one of those was an 08 R6 and had no insurance. The other has State Farm and he getting kinda the same treatment. So at the end I ask the guy how long it's going to take? He says: "well we have a 30-day wait period and I have to do my report and if there's problems you'll be notified by mail"

So here I sit w/ no bike, no settlement as of yet.

To those of you with State Farm i'd give some serious thought about switching to another insurance company although they are cheap remember "You get what you pay for" and I hope you don't find yourself in the situation i'm in.

What can I do? (suggestions welcome here's what i've done thus far)

I have gotton a list of family, friend's, and neighbors of current State Farm Insurance policy holders and have gotton them to agree to switch insurance carriers, 14 total so far for a yearly total of $17K. (they have not switched yet upon the end result, I'm pretty sure I will let them know to change on the same day and give my name and policy # as reason for cancelling) I know they (state farm) don't care but it's better than sitting back doing nothing.

I have filed a complainet w/ the IL Dept of Insurance, this may be useless but at least i'm trying.

Anyone have a similar experience?

·
The Asian Persuasion
28,564 Posts
I'm very happy with State Farm, although I haven't had my bike stolen.
I have had my bike tip over due to hot pavement costing roughly $1200 in damages. I had my $1200+ check in the mail less than 4wks of when it happened. Reported it 2 days after it happened. No filing of police report. Adjuster came to my condo within 4days of report to check it out. He sent in the paper work, my agent called me a few days later saying to wait for my check in the mail. That was it, very simple and easy.

On the other hand, I've had 2 friends that had theirs stolen also with State Farm and got a everything taken care of within 4wks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds very strange for State Farm. I've had very good service from my State Farm policies. I have a local agent though. Did you go through an agent? I would get them to push things for you.

·
Registered
712 Posts
yea...use your agent to pressure the claim dept. your agent...if they are good...should be able to help you out. but if they dont care about customer service. find a new agent.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Just because you're having problems with YOUR agent, doesn't mean somebody else will have problems with THEIR agent.

all agents are different.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I laid my bike down and took it to a shop and the repair estimate came out to be a little more than $5,000. State Farm went to look at my bike, reviewed the estimate and I had a check in the mail for that amount minus my deductable! They even paid for my $600 Shoei X-11 Vermuelen and gave me $200 towards a new jacket. They only gave me $200 because, California doesn't require a rider to wear a jacket. The helmet and jacket were separate from the $5,000 as well. I only pay $40 a month for an 07' 600RR so I have no complaints. It may just be your agent giving you the run around.

I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
712 Posts
sit down with your agent and have the agent assist you in talking with the claims dept.

this maybe more effective in getting your claim processed and settled asap.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
This is not my agent it's the State Farm Claims Dept in Downers Grove, IL
But it is your agents obligation to assist their customers.

·
Registered
753 Posts
yea...use your agent to pressure the claim dept. your agent...if they are good...should be able to help you out. but if they dont care about customer service. find a new agent.
I have had to make three claims on my State Farm policy. One for a bike and two on my homeowners. My agent took care of everything. All I had to do was make a phone call. I am sorry you are having problems, but I have not had any problems. Hope it owrks out for you.

If you have a local agent, hound him until he takes care of it for you. You shouldn't have to be doing all this leg work with claims. That's his job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's messed up that you are trying to get people to switch insurance companies. State farm has been really good to me and most of people that have them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think state farm is the problem. Sounds like your agent or whom ever is handeling your case is a dumb ass. Instead of getting people to change find out who their bosses are and talk to them instead.

·
Registered
712 Posts
That's messed up that you are trying to get people to switch insurance companies. State farm has been really good to me and most of people that have them.

how is it messed up? he is receiving poor service, FIRST HAND. It would be messed up if he did not warn his family and others of this.

insurance companies dont have feelings, only fat and deep pockets.

Go with the company that treats you right.

it is the insurance company's job to restore him to the way things were or close to the way things were. That is why we pay so much.

A lot of the bad things that go on, of course, is not too common. if it was common then state farm wouldnt be as big as they are now. unfortunately, there are some people who get left behind.

if i got screwed over, i would warn everyone i could.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The more I think about it I have them for my bike, 06 WRX, 05 Explorer, and my house and haven't had any problems w/ them. Any claims i've had they handel them quick. your agent must be a dumd ass also. He is suppose to work your claim and follow up to make sure everthing runs smoothly. After all this is over I would find another agent and talk to them about what happened and what should you expect if your ever have any problems.

·
Registered
712 Posts
also, climb up the ladder of management. talk to a supervisor. complain about the agent, claims adjuster, anyone that is involved. that may help. be proactive in getting this done. its your life and your money thats being f*cked with.

·
Vendor
14,330 Posts
Didn't read through all the post but I had my bike stolen and had state farm. Call your agent. They give your claim to a claim adjuster. You give them your info and the police report and your done. Don't do their job for them. Tell them you pay good money monthly so you do not have to do this. It's their job not yours!!!! State farm is a good company you probably just have some lazy adjusters that don't want to do anything. They want you to do the leg work. T

Find a good agent, stick with him/her, they can make your life so much easier. Give them a call or sit down with them. If they aren't the boss then sit down with them and have a heart to heart. T

1 - 20 of 39 Posts