Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding all day today.

I stopped for a moment to grab a slice of pizza, come out, and try to start my bike and the key will not turn to the ON position.

Had to push it to my friend's house.

Here is what I checked so far:

* I have 2 keys; both don't work
* The key turns fine to the LOCK position
* The key works on the gas tank latch and the storage compartment
* I have wiggled the handlebars while trying to turn the key
* I have applied pressure to the key in different directions while wiggling it in the cylinder

I think something is up with the cylinder.

I attempted to take out the two phillips-head screws under the ignition cylinder, but I can't get them to budge.

Do I call a locksmith for this or a motorcycle repair shop?

Please advise...

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Put some graphite in the cylinder and see if that makes it any better... T

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Just keep pushing the key in and taking it out, something might have got caught in one of the barrels.... T

·
Registered
560 Posts
this happened to me. tap the key with a wrench or screwdriver while you are applying pressure to turn it. should do the trick

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
turn the wheel and try getting the key to go tot he on position, i forgot where the wheel is supposed to be while its locked because i haven't riden in a while. but i've had this problem before.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've had the same problem with an F4i and my RR. I graphite the shite out of the ig. every time it rains day prior as that seems to be the catalyst. Still hard to start some time but WTF you gonna do. Buy a Duck or a BMW and then this problem will look silly! Still sucks though. When it dorks up @ a gas station I generally cuss and wiggle the key and it seems to work.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

Last night, after 4 hrs and some grease, anti-seize, silicone lube, a bent key that wouldn't come out of the ignition, the tap while you turn, and the in-and-out thrust trick, the key finally budged...

Drove it home in the cold evening... but the key was so bent that I couldn't take it out of the ignition.

Put it back to the lock position... bent it back (counterclockwise) and pulled it out.

One of my two keys is officially bent to FUBAR.

The good news is that the good key appears to be working again.

WTF?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You think I need to go to Honda??

It's kinda far...

I have the little plaque with the key number... but Honda is just too far. I was gonna take a trip to the locksmith...

If I absolutely HAVE to go to Honda, can I go to any Honda dealer, even a car dealership?

What do you think?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Any motorcycle dealer that sells honda cycles will either be able to cut you a new key if they have a cutter or order you one from honda by giving them your Vin #. It takes a bit if you order one but you could call it in and then pick it up when it's ready.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It seems easier if i tilt the bike side to side while trying to turn the key, like looking for a sweet spot. Also trying different steering angles? Make any sense? Almost like the bike needs to be EXACTLY straight up and down with the wheel perfectly straight also.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any motorcycle dealer that sells honda cycles will either be able to cut you a new key if they have a cutter or order you one from honda by giving them your Vin #. It takes a bit if you order one but you could call it in and then pick it up when it's ready.

What I'm asking is can I go to a locksmith and just cut the key? Is there something special about this key?

I still have one straight key that can be used as a template for the cut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts