Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a power commander 5 on my 600rr-c. I'm waiting to get it custom mapped within the next month or so. However, I was wondering about the ignition module? Is it necessary to get it? Also will it make a difference to the performance of the bike? Anyone noticed anything with using it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a PC5 (fuel controller only) on my '11, along with a Yosh RS5 full system. Running an "off the shelf" map from Dynojet's website. And I love it. The power output and throttle behavior is beyond reproach. Up until about 12,500 RPM:

This is where the ignition retard kicks in. Honda's ad-hoc solution to emissions requirements, apparently. I wasn't sure I'd even notice it. But it was obvious from the first ride. The party is clearly over well before redline. No fear of hitting the rev limiter on this bike. Nor the need for a shift light.

Everywhere else in the RPM range, I really can't imagine there's much more power to be had from additional timing advance.. unless you were running race gas. Despite their "retarded" approach to the top end, Honda seems to have done a fine job optimizing the stock ignition map.

So far, riding on the street, the missing top end hasn't really bothered me. But at some point I do plan to add a Dynojet IRC (or Bazzaz Z-Bomb, they are otherwise identical). And add a few points to the fuel map in the top end, per Dynojet's instructions:

http://www.powercommander.com/Downloads/Support-Released/Manuals/IRC-2.02.pdf

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
IMHO get the DJ IRC, it's a must have........!

have it on my 09 (first yr for ignition retard)

bike keeps pulling good above 13k+rpm in 6th.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 09 is stock engine wise except for a k&n drop-in and an akro exhaust. Would the IRC help or hinder this setup without a power commander or like device?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts