Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2003 CBR600RR. For e few months I had it in a garage and haven’t ride. Now when I turn ignition on (without touching start button) it drains battery almost instantly. The voltage at battery goes down from 12v to almost 0. I killed the second battery by just trying to find the issue. Any idea what could cause something like that?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery...twice! Do you smell anything, or notice heat anywhere when you turn on the ignition (when it's supposedly draining)? If your battery was truly charged to begin with, and drained that "instantly", all that juice has to go somewhere, and it would produce a smell and/or heat. If no heat or smell, suspect battery wasn't any good to begin with. Charge your battery again and check it with a load tester.
Have you added any accessories recently?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Sounds like you have a dead short somewhere in the electrical system. What have you done to the bike recently? Was it in a wreck, hence the fact it’s been sitting? Anything aftermarket on the bike?

I’d charge your battery, pull the fuses of the lighting circuits, try to turn the bike on and see if something in there is shorting.

If it starts then you know it’s something in that’s circuit.

Reactions: dixon cider

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sounds like you have a short circuit somewhere. No fuses blown right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No smell or blown fuses, what I noticed when testing the battery was when I pull out a first fuse which is marked clock the battery voltage drops to 5v instead of zero

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, nothing was done to the bike. All stock. It was just sitting in a garage for a few months when I was doing new floor collecting a lot of saw dust lol. I pulled it out, washed it and tried to start it but nothing happen. No light, no speedometer, no noise just like there was no battery connected at all. When I measured voltage it was showing 3v. I bought a new battery connected and again tried to start it up. No luck. Checked battery and it was already at 9v and going down. At ignition on (without touching the starter) the voltage would drop to 0.3v

·
Registered
389 Posts
So something is drawing a LOT of current from the battery.

And in my mind it has to be a short that is bypassing any fuses otherwise the fuse would have blown already and stopped the short from draining your battery.

You could try pulling all the fuses and see if it still does it, although I bet it would.

If you don't have the wiring diagram PM me your email and I'll send it your way.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
i think this is ********.

there is ONE unfused circuit on the bike, and it's the starter motor. there's no way in hell that your starter relay has failed shut AND your starter motor has seized solid, it's just not happening.

the stock battery size is 9 amp hours or 108 watt hours. if you have a load that is draining the battery in a minute, you have a load of 6480 watts, which is 540 amps. your bike would be on fire.

take the battery you just purchased, charge it overnight, then try it again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered the third battery, connected and bike started right up. I was 100% sure it was a short somewhere but it was just a bad battery. Two of them ?
Thanks for all responses

1 - 10 of 10 Posts