Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I got an '05 CBR 600 and the previous owner failed to mention that the ignition switch wire was faulty. Now, I tried to repair it but I don't quite like the way it turned out (and I'm not sure I want to have that cable patched up), so I searched to see if the part can be replaced. Luckily I found the part (35101-MEE-641) but I not sure of one thing: if I replace the part do I need to do anything else (on the electronics side) or I just replace it and that's it?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
I haven't seen that part listed. I checked on my ignition and it does look like it could come apart. I would remove the one off your ignition now to make sure that will solve your problem. Never tried to remove that part from the ignition. I see it has security bolts being used.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
That's what I found. The question/concern I have is how does that part get removed from the cylinder. You typically buy this as one piece. I haven't tried to remove that part from the cylinder before. Might be easy might be a PITA, I would take yours apart before getting that piece to see how difficult it is going to be to replace.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see that there are 2 screws at the bottom of it, so in theory it should just pop out after I take those out.

I would take yours apart before getting that piece to see how difficult it is going to be to replace.
I was thinking the same thing (considering that the part isn't cheap either).

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
I would remove the cover slowly. Please let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I managed find the tools and a bit of time to try and take out that part. Thing is, I undid both screws (almost all the way) and it still remained into place so I'm guessing it either has some screws I cannot see or it pops out in a different way. I'll take another look during next week and hopefully I won't have to remove the entire ignition from the steering stem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took another look today and indeed I missed a screw which was near the wires. When I unscrewed that one as well, the part started to move (didn't take it out completely since the screws are quite difficult to get to, but that's good enough for me)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
I have had it down that far, just wondering how that is disconnected from the ignition. If you get that part please follow up and let us know how it goes. Very interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I finally got to replacing the faulty part, but it was a bit more difficult then it should have been I guess because one of the screws that holds the contact body to the top bridge was busted so basically I could not remove it.

I needed to remove the contact body from the top bridge because I could not get the bottom part out due to the fact that it hit the metal bracket that holds the front fairing (don't know what's that called). Instead I had to remove the top bridge to be able to remove the part. The connector which connects it to the main harness is located under the tank cover so you will need to remove that too.

Some notes:
1. The part has a spring between it and the contact to careful when removing it.
2. Be careful when you mount the new part so you have the contact in the Off position (if the part does not go all the way in try and twist the key slightly to line them up)

I attached a picture with the new part (also comes with new screws)

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts