Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as stated in the my title i'm a total :retard:. i was changing my oil today and everything went smoothly until i had to take the filter off. i figured it would be a little tough but good lord i didn't expect it to be welded on pretty much. well i tried with my hands and that didn't get me anywhere so i resorted to punching a screw driver through it. well i thought i finally got it to budge but in fact it just tore the housing of the filter :banghead:. so i go to punch another hole through it and i thought it wasn't going through so i hit it a few more times and finally got it to go through. what i didn't know is the thing that it was hitting was the oil cooler and i punched a hole in that as well. i figured that out because it was puking antifreeze and i was like WTF is going on. so pretty much i still haven't gotten the oil filter off and now its going to cost me $$$ to fix it.
so the moral of the story is... don't be cheap by the appropriate tools to get the job done because if not it's going to cost more in the long run and many more headaches.
ALSO if somebody has one of those oil coolers for a 06 i will buy it from ya.
please help me its part number 9 that i popped a hole in
thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know it was a bad idea but i know a few guys on here have done it. i just didn't have the tools on hand and didn't want to go buy more tools just to do it but im going to have to any way.

·
Registered
457 Posts
i know it was a bad idea but i know a few guys on here have done it. i just didn't have the tools on hand and didn't want to go buy more tools just to do it but im going to have to any way.

i loving buying more tools, especially the ones that make jobs easy :gun1:

·
Registered
457 Posts
what prices are you looking at for a replacement cooler

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well if i were to buy one from motosport its like 170 FML so whatever any body has used ill certainly take it if its priced right

·
Registered
457 Posts
just got off the phone with a local parts shop here in ca for a price on a rearset for me, and asked for a price for a oil cooler too. ill post up when i get #$

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm gonna skip the part where I question your methods, as your title and description say, you've already got that one covered :drunk:

Sorry to hear about the results man.

Check out bikebandit; it's where your diagram likely came from, if you didn't find it there yourself.

This Link will take you to the page with engine diagrams, and find "oil pan-oil pump"

It'll spit you that same diagram at the bottom of the page, as well as prices listed by number of EVERY component you could possibly want.

The bill on your punctured oil cooler can? $165.91

Obviously, you'll want to try and find it used.
At least I did, when I was replacing the starter clutch and gear on my '88 ninja 600r, but 22 year old parts in my case, or lesser-purchased ones in yours, are often difficult to find.

Happy hunting man, I hope I didn't just throw information at you that you already knew.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^thanks for the info man, ya i know that its probably going to be tough to get this part but im hoping i can get one off of somebody's part out or something.
cross your fingers!!!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Ive been forced to use the screwdriver method a few times. Nothing wrong with it if you're CAREFUL. Some of the people that responded need to get off their high horses. If a screwdriver didnt work, then a filter wrench would not have worked any better. Whoever did your last filter change put that oil filter on WAY too tight. Sorry to hear about your mishap. Unfortunately I dont know of a place to get the part cheap. Try Ronayers.com...they're parts are usually pretty cheap.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If a screwdriver didnt work, then a filter wrench would not have worked any better
You're using the wrong type of filter wrench if you figure it wouldn't have worked any better than a screwdriver...lmao...wow.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts