Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, I'm pretty new to riding so I figured I'd come to this board since I'm assuming the majority of CBR600RR owners are seasoned mature riders who could actually provide me with some insightful knowledge. I've tried the gixxer forums in the past and... well, let's just say I may have lost a bit of faith in the future of humanity due to that experience. But I digress!

So when I'm stopped at a red light at an intersection and I want to turn left or right, I typically stay in first through the turn. However, I ride a CBR250R and the engine revs fairly high throughout, which is something I'd like to avoid doing given that the bike is brand new and the engine is still not properly worn in enough to tolerate extensive high revving. What do you typically do in my situation? I'm starting to think that maybe I should try to get into second as soon as possible before the turn, but I usually don't have much distance before the initial entry into the corner. That or shift into second during the turn (it goes against intuitive thought, I know, and also against what I was taught at the MSF course, but I figure that at that slow speed I wouldn't be sacrificing too much stability during that short an instance of disengaged power to the rear). But, yeah please let me know what I should do. Thanks a lot, fellas.

·
Registered
793 Posts
There isn't going to be a "right" answer for you because, well, it depends. I shift into whatever gear is appropriate for what I'm doing at the time without really thinking. BUT, I ride a lot so making a shift, even if I muck it up, isn't going to cause a lot of drama even if I'm in the middle of a turn.

But if you're a newish rider you probably don't want to have a lot of things happening at one time so for now I would just cruise through the corner in first and shift to 2nd when your get to a place where you're not dealing with the things that come with a corner (watching for other through traffic, watching for road debris like sand or gravel, etc.). Unless it's a damn big intersection or you're trying to launch off the line like a rocket I don't think you should be so high in rev's that it's going to hurt the engine.

Bottom line... Do what feels comfortable and safe first, worry about the bike second.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You are way over thinking this. Which is a good thing. At least you are thinking.

You shouldn't change gears mid turn, at least not yet. You should have your speed and gearing set before you enter the turn. Just keep the revs as low as the manual says while breaking it in (if it does).

Overall do whatever is safest. Entering a turn in a gear too low in revs can be just as bad as entering a turn with too high of revs. No torque if needed.

Im sorry if I confused you further. Just do what feels right. I wouldnt worry too much about over revving it into turns while breaking it in. (unless you are pinning the revs which im sure you arnt)

·
Registered
321 Posts
As already said above - dont worry about the revs and concentrate on your riding, road position, whats around the corner, what on the road etc etc...

Worry about changing gear when you are back on the straight and narrow and dont start over thinking things.

Also dont worry about high revs unless you are red lining it from cold for extended durations - I came from, uhm something different to an RR, and believe me I thought the whole thing was going to explode at first when I got going (old bike topped out at something like 5K!) Dont have experience of riding a 250 but I dont think you are really over reving as much as you might think you are.

Also reving higher has the advantage that if you need to lose speed for whatever reason as soon as you drop the throttle you will start slowing before you even have to reach for the brake! I used to always under rev my bike until I realised that everyone I ride with would slow down without touching their brakes since they were using the engine to brake. Thats a more advanced stage of riding than what gear to go round traffic lights of course but the principle is the same!

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
i take it easy in first and short shift into 2nd .

never hurry to make a left turn.....

u r crossing the oil lines and personally i like to ride easily thru traffic most all the time anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
As a number of people have already posted, you shouldn't change gears while in a corner. What are the RPM's at when you think you are over revving the engine? The only real solution to this is either change into second gear before the corner, OR, do not open up the throttle (go slower) when making the turn. You want to go through the corner at a speed that you feel comfortable at, but if you are new to riding and you have RPM's near red line while making a turn, you run the risk of spinning out your rear tire. Ride safe and keep asking questions. No question is a stupid question as long as you are serious about asking it. If you have a question usually someone else has the same one, so keep the questions coming.

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
i take it easy in first and short shift into 2nd .

never hurry to make a left turn.....

u r crossing the oil lines and personally i like to ride easily thru traffic most all the time anyway.

:+1: well said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, all your inputs really helped me out. Sounds best to take it as easy as I can around those turns, and if I get into a situation where I'm uncomfortable with the high revving, I'll just let the bike's internals take the bruises instead of myself.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
yeah for now shift after the turn, if you are coming into a turn without the red light keep it in second,

I shift mid turn now, and its actually fun to get that last bit of torque right at the aqex of the turn,

read twist of the wrist if you havent already it will discuss this,

for now just keep it in first and keep the throttle steady,

once you get the hang of it, you will shift into second mid turn and mid lean, then fly out of the corner like rossi, hahahaha j/k flamers with nothing to do,

·
Registered
689 Posts
I would just be careful until you fully get used to your bike. Staying in first you mite give it too much gas and the bike could jerk you possibly leading to a crash. Just be nice n easy and if needed carefully shift into second. Dont brake in your turn either just a nice steady ease off the throttle will do it. I think you will be just fine ...CONFIDENCE! :cruising:

·
Registered
444 Posts
yeah I would keep it in first, unless you see a car screaming at you, you should be able to take the turn with just maintenance throttle below the max rpm during your break in period... then when you through and the bike is pretty much standing back up, slide it into second and be on your merry way...

·
Registered
25 Posts
A right turn from the inside lane is over so fast that first shouldn't be a problem. A left allows you to go across the intersection where you are almost straight long enough to get into second before you really start turning - depending on the size and layout of the intersection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Shift in the turn. Be calm and collected, don't pressure yourself. You don't need too, but once you do, you will realize it is nothing difficult.

·
Registered
183 Posts
From one 250 rider to another, it really depends on the turn as well. Either shift into 2nd before you actually start turning. Or hold it out, keep good throttle control and shift into 2nd after the turn. But for now, try avoid shifting while in the turn.

One thing to remember is that you don't need to speed through the turn. So keep a nice steady pace in and through the turn, and just let it rip once you've straightened out.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
Generally, if the road's wide enough and there's room in my lane then I'll short shift to second very quickly and then turn in/power through.

If it's any tighter then I'll stick in first and change later.

Personal preference and confidence in throttle control have a lot to do with it as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a couple of bikes and one of them is an 08 ninja 250. Now granted its not quite the same as it has more top end than the cbr 250, but hey its the same idea. Your question has gotten me thinking what do I actually do. I've been riding so long its just mostly instinct these days lol, which is horrible when giving advice to newer riders. Im in that process with my girlfriend right now actually.
Anyways while I dont know the CBR250 ,I'd assume with having a lower redline than my ninja your gears may be taller than mine. I'd say for now you should be fine making the turn in question in 1st. Do you happen to know what rpm you hit? Generally speaking I'd probably short shift into 2nd right before making the turn, and ,on the ninja anyways, have plenty of power to speed up if needed and if really needed a bit of clutch work goes a long way too. Those are all things that are more advanced kinda.
One side note I figured I'd mention since teaching my girl to ride is forcing me to relearn what it is like to be new and have to think about all the things I do without thinking is to really focus on rpm matching between gears and using your clutch to smooth everything out. I started riding dirtbikes when I was 8 and when on dirt my clutch hand is always working. I'd say easily sometimes 20 or 30 times a minute depending on what Im doing. That has to some degree carried over to street, though not used nearly as much as on dirt good clutch control is important to master, and learning to be smooth when making shifts, or rolling on/off the throttle (specially as a noob) makes life so much easier as you wont be rocking the bike back and forth when slow speed maneuvering. Anyways good luck to you and stay safe.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
http://www.superbikeschool.com/news/press-coverage/bike_this_man.php

Good throttle Control crops up in just about every lesson and is based on the fundamentals of motorcycle design. "It should be your intention every time you lean the motorcycle to use smooth throttle through the corner," Code says. A bike’s suspension is designed to work best under moderate acceleration, according to Code.

get the twist of the wrist II book or dvd. K.Code knows his stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha, funny that you should mention Twist of the Wrist II. I've been hearing raves so I bought it last night.

When going around the turn my bike revs at 6000 at its highest when there's a bit of a distance to complete the turn. It's still a couple thousand RPMs away from red lining, but since the bike is new (I got it with literally 0 miles on it) I was told to break it in with at least 300 miles before revving above 6000. Also since I'm new to motorcycle riding, anywhere above 5000 just sounds somewhat high to me so there could be that little psychological element working into the equation. Today I tried everything that you guys suggested, and I think what seems to be working best for me is to short shift into 2nd before a left turn if the intersection is large enough, and for a right turn I ease on through in first since it's really quick and short.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts