Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the gain is very negligible, however I was wondering if anyone has cut / smoothed 3 out of the 7 fins on the coolant pump impeller.

Not something I would do, but interested to see the kinds of things people do to squeeze every bit of power / free up engine.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,812 Posts
did you read about people doing this? it would make the pump out of balance for one, but also i imagine that the efficiency of the thing would suffer greatly

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Your prolly thinking fly wheel stator theres a kit u can buy and its like 2 to 9hp or something. I forget who sells the kit tho a little searching will turn up something. I dont get the obsession with hp at all that people have.

I guessing your just asking out of curiosity. I totally understand that part of it i love learning about stuff like this myself. I would never do it tho. Stuff like this is for top tier racers best in there class etc.

I have alot of aftermarket stuff not one thing to add horsepower tho and i will never buy anything to add horsepower. No one needs more than an oem exhaust and if they did what they need is a liter bike. Dont get me wrong tho i understand people like to add **** to there bike and tinker with it and some are just for show and some are for go. To each there own.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, just out of curiosity @mran556 - I'm not worried about HP, if I wanted a lot of HP I would buy a 1krr. Mine is a daily commute.
@wibbly Usually done to cars, IIRC if the coolant impellor had 7 fins, you shave 3 off in a triangle so not out of balance. I do believe there are companies that make aftermarket pumps like that though more so for cars.

·
Registered
966 Posts
how would removing 3 of 7 retain balance?

and why would you want to move less water?
Imagine a triangle. Removing 3 out of 7 leaves a triangle. As for moving less water, if the engine RPM is up the entire time you'll be moving more then enough water. This is the same concept as underdrive pulleys for auto's. Turn the pump at slower speed moving less water, consuming less power.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,812 Posts
Imagine a triangle. Removing 3 out of 7 leaves a triangle. As for moving less water, if the engine RPM is up the entire time you'll be moving more then enough water. This is the same concept as underdrive pulleys for auto's. Turn the pump at slower speed moving less water, consuming less power.
maybe you need to imagine a triangle. only an equilateral one would be balanced. you can't take 3 out of 7 and get a triangle anyway, you get a quadrilateral, and it certainly isn't symmetrical.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how would removing 3 of 7 retain balance?

and why would you want to move less water?
I guess then remove enough to retain balance. I just happened to see it online somewhere the other day, and was wondering about it. Might do some more reading.

As I said, not something I am after, or plan to do. Just interesting to read about all different things people do to try and get more power. More so research for myself.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,812 Posts
what people do if they are mental enough to worry about the itsiest bitsiest THEORETICAL mechanical drag on the engine is put an electric water pump on.

taking a die grinder to a part that was engineered specifically to work properly in this motor is a bit silly if you ask me

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what people do if they are mental enough to worry about the itsiest bitsiest THEORETICAL mechanical drag on the engine is put an electric water pump on.

taking a die grinder to a part that was engineered specifically to work properly in this motor is a bit silly if you ask me
I agree, I was just asking of THEORETICAL or ACTUAL things people COULD do to get every little bit of performance. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
There's no way to remove any amount of fins from a 7-blade impeller and still have it be balanced. I love tinkering but this one just isn't worth it to me. I'd rather remove weight than add power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts