Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just heard from tony at cheetah racing bodies that the mounting points where our sliders mount (on the 600RR) are made of a structurally weak metal and are prone to snapping off when crash forces are applied directly to that area. he told me that they have a crashed 600RR that this happened to, and when they contacted slider manufactures about it, they all said they had 10 or 15 calls reguarding this happening. if this is true and you do crash with sliders on and they snap off a piece of your frame, your insurance company will consider your bike a total loss no matter how little other damage there is. now... taken with a grain of salt this info comes from someone who has a very vested interest in seeing more sales of body work.... but i had already commited to getting race bodywork and this was conveyed well before this topic came up... so take it for what you will... anyone who has crashed on sliders please post what happened and how fast you were going... ect. personally i've crashed my bike 3 times without sliders and i'm suprised about how tough the bike is... i've been able to pick it up and keep going each time. just a few bent brake levers and rearsets... of course my plastics are trashed... but nothing like snapping off a frame mount. i'm taking the sliders off my bike tonight. so... thoughts?
mark

C

·
0 Posts
hmmmm :headscratch:
There has been ZERO reports of that from people that have crashed their bikes with frame sliders on. I'm investing in sliders.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I think I'll keep my sliders....if the bike goes down hard enough to do that, I'd probably rather it be totalled anyhow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
there is a guy at cbr600rr.com that says he had this happen to his bike. I personally have frame sliders on my bike. the main reason i have them is because the last two bikes i owned had them an they were tested with good results. I am sure what is being said can happen, when aluminum is stressed it will some times snap. that being said there is never going to be two crash the same. so i guess you could be taking a chance either way. I personally will take my chances with frame sliders.

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
i've laid my b*tch a few times...i have yoyodyne frame sliders and they work GREAT!!! it saved me a few times before the last...

- D

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
The guy who your talking baout that it happened to is cbr600rrjeremy who lives in San diego and I know. He knows the guys who make cheetah skins and some guy was riding his bike crashed it and he says that sliders did more damage then if he didn't have them on. Now. sliders aren't for all crashes, some thay will prevent damage and some more will occur. Now it's your choice weither you put them on or not. but if you crash ard enough your insurance is going to total it anyways and that's where the gap coverage I hope everyone bought helps out so you get your bike payed for.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've heard of people saying that the sliders did more damage than if they weren't on the bikes. But whos to know what would or wouldn't have happened. I guess you just take your chances. Some fairings are designed to take on most of the damage. But if you take a bad fall......then either way isn't going to be good. Just gear up and be aware of everything around. I'm still probably going to get sliders myself. I guess it depends on what kind of insurance you have.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Think about what you said dude. The frame sliders mount to the engine mounts. If those mounts break that easily, don't you think that the torque from the motor would actually cause this before a wreck. Some of us have never crashed our bikes(hopefully never will) and ride the hell out of them.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Really think about where force is applied in a crash. When the bike goes over on it's side the force is distributed across the whole fairing side. Some points uderneath the fairing like the fairing mounts will absorb more force than others as well as other objects that portrude such as pegs, bars, turn signals, case covers, etc. Without sliders the forces are distributed among many points and surfaces. A lot of bike would have to be ground away before you got to the frame and motor mounts. With sliders the same crash focuses most of those forces to one point; the frame slider and the supporting structire it's mounted to. For modest impacts like a sliding lowside or stationary tip over (doh!) this is probably not a big deal. The slider and it's mounting point are probably more than sturdy enough to absorb the impact and save the less sturdy components the slider is intended to protect. In a really violent crash like a high side the bike is coming over and smacking the ground like a hammer. In that case the first point of contact will be that slider and I wouldn't be surprised if it does damage what it's mounted to. So it all depends on how you want to take your lumps. Myself I wouldn't trust those Lockhart Phillips or other vanity sliders that are moslty solid aluminum. I'd stick to ones that are mostly nylon. In those hard hits the nylon should deform and lessen the shock to the frame. Those solid aluminum slider seem like they would act more like the head of a hammer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts