Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

So i mostly intend to educate Albertans, but everyone who rides can take this stuff home and chew on it. Mods, move this somewhere else if it suits. I just wanted maximum exposure.

So yeah, i got pulled over by a checkstop going southbound up Groat Rd (Edmonton). After waiting, he ticketed me for plate angle (its OEM, wtf??) and for no reflectors (prev owner). Not one to give up, i'm going to court with my guns loaded.

"How?" You might ask. Know thine enemy. These links should answer any Q's about whether or not a modification follows the law. It's the full docs that say exactly what the specifics of _____ are in design and function. Now you can screw around with your bike while staying inside the law's reach. Good luck, peeps.

Vehicle Equipment Regulations, Alberta...
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-122-2009/latest/alta-reg-122-2009.html

Traffic Safety Act...
(main page is http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/556.htm to look for other relevant links)

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=T06.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779738533

Rules of the Road...
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-304-2002/latest/alta-reg-304-2002.html

(main page is http://www.programs.alberta.ca/Living/Dynamic.aspx?N=770+667+672 if you'd like to look more, plus it's got stats and all kinds of stuff if you care to know)

So yeah, that's a start. To anyone who sees this as a useless thread... please decapitate yourselves. I think it's very important to know the law and abide by it. It's a sign of respect for officers if they see you've put time in to learn how the law works. And furthermore, you'll have a stronger defence against an officer or a JP because you've read the law; no more ignorance, i hope.

For instance, T has some SWEEEEEET LED mods in his arsenal, but some cops i've talked to say no no no no leave it stock blah blah blah. So now if i make sure the mods are satisfactory in the law's eyes, a cop will be doing nothing but wasting my time if he/she attempts at arguing.

Good luck, riders, and be safe. Also, big thanks to the officer who helped to hook me up with all this info. It appears that there ARE some cops who don't completely hate bikers. Weird.

Dave

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
So yeah, that's a start. To anyone who sees this as a useless thread... please decapitate yourselves. I think it's very important to know the law and abide by it. It's a sign of respect for officers if they see you've put time in to learn how the law works. And furthermore, you'll have a stronger defence against an officer or a JP because you've read the law; no more ignorance, i hope.

For instance, T has some SWEEEEEET LED mods in his arsenal, but some cops i've talked to say no no no no leave it stock blah blah blah. So now if i make sure the mods are satisfactory in the law's eyes, a cop will be doing nothing but wasting my time if he/she attempts at arguing.
I'd be careful with that... Not all cops respect you for showing them your "knowledge" of the law. You can very easily come off as a smart ass and cops generally don't like smart asses.

I'd explain my case/reasoning and if the cop ain't having it... save it for the court. You're not getting anywhere by arguing on the side of the road... doesn't matter how right/wrong you are. If you're phone has a "memo"/note taking mode where it can just record conversations might be good to turn that on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i should rephrase that... i'm not the arguing type. I just mean that i'd have to try to explain how even if they didn't like a certain mod on the bike, the law is the law, and my mods would be abiding as such. And so what i mean is that, as you said, i would be informing them that -with all due respect- i would go to court to prove its legality. So in this case, i'm not trying to piss people off with my "knowledge", but moreso i'd explain how i've made rigorous attempts to ensure my bike follows legislation. It is absolutely unreasonable for an officer to feel that i, the owner, cannot modify the bike whatsoever. It's not his decision in the way of inventing new laws; he can make sure i've followed the law, and that's it. Otherwise, court date :-S

And furthermore, an officer's authority to "exercise discretion" over the law wouldn't be much of a consequence to me. I say this only because the officer who educated me agreed to sign a thing or two saying that he (and possibly another one or two officers) validated my mods according to legislation. In this way, the only guy/gal who could trump their judgment calls is someone of higher rank, ie. NOT his peers. And nobody's gonna escalate this kind of thing to the higher ranked officers.

I'm not saying i'm bullet proof now, but merely making the claim that any issues should be severely subsided with appropriate evidence. And can you not see my line of reasoning? I'm trying to revert from ignorance here. I'm not trying to measure my manhood.

Dave

·
Registered
412 Posts
FYI, the po-po here in Edmonton, AB are on an anti-bike crusade... They've publicly stated this and I've even been warned by an officer that they are out for blood.

I think I know exactly the location that you got pulled over, they had a laser aimed down from the overpass, but they were pulling over EVERY bike, regardless of their speed. You and countless others got tickets that day.

GL in court... I know a local guy who helps bikers out with things like this, PM me if you want his info. If there's a chance they will throw it out, this guy will have it thrown out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's cool of you. yeah i saw the guy up on the bridge but i knew i was going slow and i thought my crap was in order. i had someone tell me it's the new captain in edmonton who's out for blood. they say his mandate is to make bikers pay just to breathe freely. but thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts