Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am a newbie, when I am not at the back of the grid at start off, I let the riders in back shoot pass me going into turn 1.

The reason for this is, I figured the riders in back of me on the grid are novices like me, and not skilled at passing in real close quarter racing. Experts can pass quickly and cleanly. I am not an expert and neither are the riders in back of me. :) I figured if they are faster than me, they will be in front anyway, and if they are slower, I will picked them off.

I am going to be doing this until I get faster.

comments?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
I don't like the strategy. It may seem weird, but I think its safer to stuff it into t1 and get away from the wacko midpack guys. I would rather be passed by a good rider behind me than to be passing "enthusiastic" guys that are slower than me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,793 Posts
Let's not forget the one critical component here... YOU ARE RACING!!! Even after reading your reasoning, I still have to ask. Why would want to give yourself an imediate dissadvantage like that? If you need to the practice, do it at trackdays, NOT during a race weekend...

I've been racing my RS125 primarily this season. So, when I pulled out my 600 for one round this season, I had to start from the very back of the pack. And, let me tell ya, it was the scariest experince I've ever had racing. It might seem like a good idea working your way up thru the slower folks, but once you get to the mid-packers, well the only way I can put it is, they are unpredictable... They're just fast enough so you can't pass quickly and they're squirly enough to make passing very very difficult...

Do yourself a favor and just race your race... Don't worry about the racers behind you, and do your practicing at trackdays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Like mule said your Racing so race. also dont you think when you slow up to let people by you on the start someone could run up the back of you. No matter what you do your involved in a risky sport, you could get taken out on the cooldown lap or on pit in. This is just something to think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, it seems like 50,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong!!

All good points. And one of the main reason I was doing the lay back thing was, even though this was my 5th of 6th race the jitters and nerves were there. When I let the riders go by at that start, that eased the jitters and the nerves.

However, like it has been pointed out, I am racing, why give up that space. Also, rethinking my good points and bad points in the races, I was a little leary going into turn 1, even when it was no traffic.

I am in the intermediate class and I got one trackday coming up on Oct 2nd, at the same track (SP Main). I am going to be working on passing and going in deeper on turn 1. Coming up on the 16th of Oct, TMP has a trackday, and some races at SP Main. Just booked in for the trackday and 2 races.. More practice and tracktime coming up.. :pimp:

Thanks for all the feedback,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mule-madness said:
they are unpredictable... They're just fast enough so you can't pass quickly and they're squirly enough to make passing very very difficult...
You called it right on the head. Exactly the way it is.

More time on the track and more races is what I need.

Nothing like the experience of doing it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
lol thats a good way to start.. i just was told to try my best and kept gettin nudged that some1 may be watching.. so i went from 22nd to 3 b4 i had a brake fade problem.. then i was doomed.. but i say, most people say when their gettin sucked in that they r watchin the other rider.. i never pay "them' the attention, just where i think they might be weak.. then i was slapped and was told im watchin people.. ha, random but it makes scinces.. tricks and tips in a random form.. get a different line then everyone else works too..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
cehoward600rr said:
Wow, it seems like 50,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong!!

All good points. And one of the main reason I was doing the lay back thing was, even though this was my 5th of 6th race the jitters and nerves were there. When I let the riders go by at that start, that eased the jitters and the nerves.

However, like it has been pointed out, I am racing, why give up that space. Also, rethinking my good points and bad points in the races, I was a little leary going into turn 1, even when it was no traffic.

I am in the intermediate class and I got one trackday coming up on Oct 2nd, at the same track (SP Main). I am going to be working on passing and going in deeper on turn 1. Coming up on the 16th of Oct, TMP has a trackday, and some races at SP Main. Just booked in for the trackday and 2 races.. More practice and tracktime coming up.. :pimp:

Thanks for all the feedback,
I'll let you in a little secret..........EVERYONE HAS THE JITTERS AND NERVES. Especially in t1. You have the right idea, just a little more practice on passing and you'll be fine....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
814 Posts
It's racing not a trackday. I've never heard of any racer letting someone by that they were racing against. If you don't want to compete why bother racing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
hey, Ive seen them do it in nascar..............but thats reason enough to not do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I took advantage of a good start last weekend and passed three people before the first turn. When that flag goes down all I can think of is covering the track in the least amount of time- other riders are simply pylons.
 

·
WCR Racer
Joined
·
1,550 Posts
You should try to keep up with the pack. Not everyone is fast.
Also if you are getting some points and you get placed in the front more so than now.
If you do what you have been doing you might get ass packed by a faster rider than if you were keeping pace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
I Think You Have The Hardest Part Down. Your Out There. Not Many Of Us Have Touched A Track Yet, Yet Alone In A Race. Congrats On That!

I Used To Tell My Litle Brother In Racing Dirtbikes...even If You Are The Slowest One Out There - You Race The Track Not Your Buddies. THEN WHEN YOU GET THE CONFIDENCE, SHOW THEM WHAT YOU GOT!! BUT, Dont Ride Over Your Head. If Your Not Comfortable At The Faster Pace. Then Slow It Down But Keep Pushing Yourself.

Good Job On Gettin Out There Again!
O2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
799 Posts
*** ahhh, stttrrretch... just stopping by and saw this thread, had to comment.

Dude, this sounds like an excellent was to get a$$ plugged... seriously.

If you want to avoid drama stay on the outside of the first corner entry. Most psycho banzai dudes go up the inside. At a race earlier this year, going into the first corner at CMP I had a funny feeling and I delayed my entry just a bit. It was then that a guy going about 50 MPH too fast came asphalt surfing by.

Let's remember that some of the worst accidents happen on the grid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
chkaotic said:
I would suggest trackday practice in intermediate/advanced groups to get you more used to close-range passing, raise your comfort level..
+1 on this suggestion. Do more trackdays in the advanced groups to get comfortable at the faster paces and with people passing and you beginning to pass more people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hessogood said:
It's racing not a trackday. I've never heard of any racer letting someone by that they were racing against. If you don't want to compete why bother racing?
Good point, first of all, I am just starting this, therefore, I don't know all the ins and outs. Second, those that I let by that time, I caught and passed them.

I bother to get into racing, because it FEELS good to me.. Also, don't put words in my mouth. Never said I didn't want to compete. All I said was on my FIRST couple races, not to be so in a hurry to get through turn one with the crowd..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
predikt said:
+1 on this suggestion. Do more trackdays in the advanced groups to get comfortable at the faster paces and with people passing and you beginning to pass more people.
That's what got me into racing. I did a couple racer's pratice days, and I loved it. They come from anywhere. No problem with that.. However, in racer practice, you can pass from anywhere, but they don't start you from the grid!!

So far, I am comfortable with people passing me, experts do it cleanly. And I am trying to be fast enough to keep the not so experts behind me.. :)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top