Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a 611 mile day trip on monday. It was pretty good except for two things. This was much worse out of the two.

As copy pasted from my blog:

"After pulling in and checking on the GPS (I finally had to pull it out) that I was indeed on the right path, I manage to get behind an old ford Bronco that is driving in a rather unpredictable drunken manner, weaving in the lane, abruptly changing lanes for no apparent reason. I'm scared beyond belief of this truck so when all the cars come to a stop at a red light, I carefully split the lane to just get away from the Bronco. As a result, I end up beside some kid's souped up Mazda Protege wagon.

Apparently, Mazda kid didn't like the fact that I came up beside him. When the lights turn green, I give it a little more gas to try to get ahead of the cars I passed, and this Mazda just steps on it and squeals the tires. I think 'What is going on,' and I look over for a split second and see the girl in the passenger seat with a frightened look on her face. Then suddenly the guy swerves AT me. Thankfully, I'm far enough ahead that I only swerved a little on instinct, and I open up the throttle full blast and shoot ahead. I look in my rear-view mirror and see this guy is coming straight for me so I try my best to get away. I'm scared shitless at this point, but still riding calm and as best as possible. I get around the traffic and sure enough, he does the same. I turn off, he does too.

And all this time I'm thinking in my head. Really? Is pulling up beside you really that bad? Bad enough you want to kill me? The only way I can see this ending up if he caught us was either I died, I got the crap kicked out of me, or he got the crap kicked out of him. In the end, one of us would either be dead or dying, and my bike would be destroyed. I'm sorry Mazda driver. I'm sorry that I had to pull in your lane, but I really wanted to get away from that Bronco. Is that really worth it for you to endanger my life?

I really just cant believe that people don't realize that in a battle between a car and a motorcycle, the car will always win. Or at least I HOPE he didn't know the implications of his actions and wasn't actually trying to kill me."

I guess this is just a friendly reminder to everyone, some people dont have respect for riders at all. And some are also very hot-headed and can have very bad cases of road rage.

Happily however, the majority of the trip was good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In hindsight, I guess I should have pulled over and let the Bronco get a ways ahead of me. I really shouldn't have gone ahead the way I have.

All I know is, I probably never going to split lanes again, even in a similar situation. There's always more time and time to be patient.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That dude was a prick. You kept your head and did the mature thing. I carry a big crowbar strapped to the side of my bike for little air headed high school weenies like that. A souped up station wagon. Wow

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Karma is a mofo. Mr. Mazda probably flipped it or got a ticket by now.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You split lanes at a red light and not on the highway right? Where do you live? Even though it is illegal in some states its pretty accepted that small bike split lanes in traffic situations. From what you described the protege was way out of line and prob trying to show off his manliness to the GF. You handled it the saem way I would of. You didn't really say what the outcome was, I assume you pinned it and got away? Good move.

I sometimes carry when I ride fir this exact reason, its truly life or death sometimes. There are plenty of times similar situations have led to dead riders. You never know what kind of nut case is on the road and what kind of day they are having. If its you or them, they lose.

Thanks for posting, good read.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
I am glad the outcome was peaceful

·
Registered
491 Posts
I live in NY and split lanes every single day...and most people are courteous enough to move a tad bit over to let me by. The only way I'll do it on the highway is if there's a lot of traffic.
I don't think it's because you split to get ahead at the light that he went after you. The guy must've already been fired up, maybe with an argument with his girl, and took it out on you.
Good thing you kept your head cool. :01_thumbu

·
Registered
939 Posts
I went on a 611 mile day trip on monday. It was pretty good except for two things. This was much worse out of the two. .
What was the other thing.....?or was it the Brono and the Mazda?

I lane split all the time over here in the UK and I always try to give a little sign of acknowledgment so that the car driver knows I know that what I have done might be a little annoying and that I understand how he might feel about it. Just the same when I pass a car who has pulled over to let me through..using sign language and simple gestures can help cool some of these nutters down.

·
Registered
143 Posts
damn crazy cagers. you never know what they are going to do next

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well, that's unfortunately a product of the society we live in. He didn't see you pulling up next to him as anything but a threat and a challenge, and responded as such.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Wow... Glad you came out of that without injury. I've lane split a few times and had one guy swerve towards me at the light, roll down his window and say "Do that sh!t again and I'll flatten your f*cking @ss."

I just got away from him as quickly as possible. I carry every time I ride nowadays. It doesn't seem to occur to some drivers that them messing with us like that can be a matter of life and death for us. The sight of a 9mm will usually stop that quickly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I split the lane at the red light when everyone was stopped. It's really the only time i dare to anyway, and only on emergencies like this.

the other bad incident on the trip was really just getting a ticket. The park ranger was not exactly outlandishly nice, but he was thorough and efficient, so its really better than what it could have been. He wasn't rude or mean or anything.

Thanks for all the support, I thought I might have been scolded for my actions. So getting away was really the right thing to do then? I was debating whether or not I should have pulled over, but I really didnt want to get into a confrontation with the guy. I dunno what he's carrying, or how angry he really was.

I think the worst part of it all was that it was just a lose lose situation. I felt like **** afterwards, and I'm sure the guy did too. I'm sure i also pissed off lots of other people trying to get away as well.

The rest of the article is here by the way, for those that are interested: http://friedstinkytofu.blogspot.com/

I used to write car reviews on there, but recently, I've been planning a tour around north america called the North American Circle

·
Registered
193 Posts
Afew nights ago i went to pass a lady on the right, because she was driving slow in the left lane (i wasnt being an ass about it either) and as soon as i get next to her rear tire she swerves over... im like WTF i slow down and switch lanes and pass her on the right, smoothly, somewhat fast incase she was gonna swerve again... i get to the light ahead and shes hangin out the window tellin me im a f*cking retard and that im stupid and that shes callin the cops on me.. i give a thumbs up (really a thumbs up) and she flips me off and then turns right on red... its not uncommon for people to be crappy to riders, especially in your case..thats some bs!

sorry for the thread jack, just had to share

·
Registered
491 Posts
The problem is that people are sh!theads when they're behind the wheel. They lose all sense of manners while driving.
Besides, what's so bad about passing on the right anyway?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Although you didn't mention what happened toward the end and left us hanging, I assume you got away from the Mazda as well?

Two things the angel would have done differently.

1. Pull off to the side and the that 'drunk' driver drive ahead so you watch and prepare for his action from behind. I wouldn't want to go in front of him and let him control your safety.
  2. Take off fast to avoid being ran over from other cars, but I would slow down in the clear and let the Mazda catch up and pass me (rare, but it can happen). They'll most likely pull next to you and rev. Just let it go.
Glad you made it to safety and be wise about it. I'm sure the guy was trying to impress his gf at your expense.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Honestly i probably would have done the same thing. At least you manager to get a away..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Glad your okay. But this **** happens to me all the time. I lane split when **** is just way to slow. One of my biggest pet peeves with driving is people staying in the left lane and not passing. It kinda puts me over the edge and I just pass them on the right. I try and see who is behind the wheel before I flip out on them. Most of the time its just some old lady so I just nicely drive by. However when its just some young retards you let them know who is number one while speeding away. Again sorry for the hijack on your thread and I'm glad you came out okay. Just remember everyone is out to kill you every time you ride. Only way to look at it nowadays.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
More than likely his actions had little to do with you and more so to do with showing off to his girlfriend or trying to scare her because they were fighting. Either way the guy is an idiot. You have to get away from crap like that so you did what you had to do. Glad to see it worked out and nobody was hurt. That guy keeps acting like that, it will catch up with him real soon and hopefully not at the expense of some other person's safety.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is just another reason why I ride on the street much less than I used to. Last time I rode I went to pass someone in the right lane on the freeway, they were going slower in the left. He was in a big SUV with his family and decided to swerve over at me and eventually took the right lane. I went back to the left and flew on by him with a one finger salute while hes hangin out the car yelling like I can hear him. I'm sure he felt awesome realizing it was a girl.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts