Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my fuse from the battery keeps blowing randomly. i took the bike apart followed the wire and the wiring on the bike looks brand new! i think one of the components are going bad because i could ride the bike for a whole hour and let it sit for a few mins go ride again and it would blow 50ft down the block, it has also blown on me on a cold start so its very random. PLEASEEE HELP im going crazy not knowing what it could be its been sitting in the garage for 8 months and im finally finding time to fix it..

D

·
0 Posts
Trace the wires again and find the short in the system, and replace or fix the short or component that is bad.

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
I am still searching for a link to the shop manual the links i had for the 05 / 06 RR do not work any more

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i checked the wires i used my fluke 902 clamp meter. the wires are 100% good. so my next idea was a bad component but which components are on the same circuit.. im really stumped with this one. ive been reading alot about these bikes having the same fuse issue and no one really has an answer. i really appreciate your help moeman!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i forgot the size but its the inline fuse thats coming directly off of the battery. theres a wire and the fuse is like 6 inches or so after it

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
so its only the main power fuse?

if so, im going to apply where my logic would take me..

main fuse is larger than all the other fuses ... so if it was something on the non powered side of the fuse, other fuses would be blowing before it, no?

with that said, lets make sure ALL the fuses in the fuse box are good, and nothing is circumvented (fused with a piece of wire for example, because some one was too lazy to trouble shoot why a specific fuse keeps blowing.)

if its nothing like that

my next step would be to ask what electrical mods are installed, how are they installed, and through what fuse are they wired in to the system? -- Does the system get better if said mods are disconnected?

Does any one know of a stock component that would not be in the standard fuse block, i can think of one, maybe, the starter .... but this SHOULD NOT be causing massive power draw on the main fuse, unless its getting stuck on?

from there...

What side of the fuse is the actual charging system on? what i mean... does it go stator, rectifier, fuse, battery .... or stator rectifier, battery fuse?

if fuse before battery it would be possible that the rectifier, or stator is shorting causing high current demands to go backwords through the fuse, possibly causing it to implode ;) (not because of direction of flow, but because it surpases the rating)

from there, if the OP is dead set certain that its not a short in the wires, perhaps some how a short on the battery it self is exploding things?

and then there is the obvious, you missed something, just cause you have a fluke wtf ever, doesnt mean you know how to use it (im not trying to be an *******) but i have handed smart enough people a 1000 dollar fluke network tester who look at me like im a moron cause they havnt got a clue how to use it, but can wire a network blindly.

D

·
0 Posts
That's a whole bunch of stuff on that circuit. If you traced the entire wire/circuit, you'd have found the issue, unless you stopped before you got to the engine stop relay.

From there you have the fuel cut relay, Pin 25 of the 32p black connector on the ECM, Fan control relay, PAIR valve, DLC connector, Pin 16 of the 32p of the gray connector on the ECM, O2 sensors if you have them, Pin 20 of the 32p black connector on the ECM, fuel pump, secondary and primary fuel injectors, the exhaust control valve, and I think that's it.

The one connected directly to the battery is a 20A fuse while the main fuse is a 30A.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just looked and its the inline 20 amp fuse not the 30 amp.. when the issue started i had an intergrated tail light, led blinkers and the led license plate but ive had that for an entire year before the issue even started. its like this started happening out of no where. after the issue occured i put installed the power commander 3 the same day that i put a new 20 amp fuse so i know for a fact it has nothing to do with any components i installed. all of the fuses in the fuse box is fine.

D

·
0 Posts
The tail light isn't on the same circuit as the stuff above, so that isn't the issue.

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
How about a loose ground wire ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've got the shop manual PDF. PM me an e-mail address if you need it and i'll send it to you. The link I pulled from seems to be dead.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks tom i pmed u.. and no i didnt think the tail light was on the same circuit and no loose grounds anywhere.

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
Tom
Thanks for supplying a link to a shop manual that will save me from looking some more

·
Registered
180 Posts
I dont have an active link. I've got the PDF but its too big to throw in an e-mail. Anybody know how to compress it, break it into pieces, or know a place I can upload for everyone to get access?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tom do you have aim? ill give you my screen name and you can send it to me that way

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks alot tom! im going to look over this service manual and i will keep you guys posted on what i do and what happens

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Chances are that its only blowing when you apply a certain amount of pressure on a particular point on the bike... That fuse only feeds the engine stop relay and then from there the fuel stop relay and onto the fuel pump.

Get your bike running and then start applying pressure to various parts of the top and left hand side of the bike cause your problem is a crushed wire, when you apply pressure the wire shorts out and pops your fuse, find where to apply pressure and the crushed wire will be directly underneath that point.
This method also has the added bonus of working even if the problem is in a taped up part of the harness and you don't have to remove all of your fairings to find it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts