Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep, i knew this day would come. I went to pick up my oil filter from the Yamaha center, and my son went googoo over the bikes. He is about to turn 11. I don't want to be a nazi mom, and i love that he is getting excited about the sport and even cheering me on finally, but what should i get for him? the little dirtbike, or whhhat?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dirt bikes are always a good place to start. Get him a used 125 and send him on his way. Great way to learn the basics and controls. My son just turned 2 and we already bought him a 50 before they stop selling them lol. He will hopefully be on his way in another yaer or so

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guess mine's a late starter then. lol thanks! i will certainly look into the 125's.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I started on a dirt bike at age 9.... You could also get him one of those Honda 50cc track bikes... Have him do track days with you

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
You could also get him one of those Honda 50cc track bikes... Have him do track days with you
:+1: That would be awesome. I will be getting my daughter a 50cc dirtbike around 2 or 3. Hopefully by 11 she will be road racing if its what she wants to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I highly recommend a KTM in whatever size fits your son best. Love the quality that goes into their bikes. I started riding when I was 8. I was a late starter but hey it happens.
Been one of the best things in my life.

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay = thanx for the input....still lurkin and deciding...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Pick up a CRF50 or XR50 (same bike) and let him learn the basics on that. Once he outgrows it in a couple of years, you'll be able to sell it for what you bought it for, or even more if you got a good deal. They hold their value well.

I would never recommend a 125 to an 11y/o.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
+1 on getting a 50cc dirtbike. Any brand (Honda, Yamaha, or whatever) as long as you get your kid started early. Wish my parents were like you and started me on riding when I was a kid (i didn't start riding bikes til my mid-20's).

Like they say, start them young and the possibilities are endless! Maybe your son will be the next Rossi!

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
i'm putting myself up for adoption, ninja rr, you can be my mom anytime. :crackup:

how about this.

·
Registered
351 Posts
:+1:
was just wondering if you would like to adopt im very friendly i work and provide for myself?
....oh and the 50cc is a great idea i started out on one when i was 10 more than enough power in those bikes now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts