1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Fiend for the track pipe.
113 Posts
A rear hand brake system is ideal for 'stunts' as it allows the rider to have more control over the modulation. This type of use is likely why he's got the cage and 12 o'clock bar on there as well. That being said, I'd probe as much as possible regarding services done to the engine/clutch. Those practices are as hard on the internal components as they can be on the fairings, if not worse.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
"Never stunted or dropped" but has a cage and a rear hand brake. Smells fishy to me... 5500 for 18k? No thanks. I'd pass.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was talking to this gentleman and he said he never got around to stunting the bike since he just paid the bike off. That being said, how should I go about on checking the clutch/engine?

And with him just paying his bike off, he does not have the pink slip but he said it should be here within a week or so. Would I be safe with a bill of sale with specific details or should I just wait for the link slip to arrive?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Bill of sale can be tricky. It depends on what state you are in. If he bought the bike in the same state that you are buying it from, then there should be no problem. Some BMV's won't give you a temp or license plate until you get the title, even with a bill of sale. Again, just depends on the state.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill of sale can be tricky. It depends on what state you are in. If he bought the bike in the same state that you are buying it from, then there should be no problem. Some BMV's won't give you a temp or license plate until you get the title, even with a bill of sale. Again, just depends on the state.

Hmm I think it should be alright in CA. Still kinda iffy about the whole "no stunt" thing but he seems like a cool/mature older gentleman. I'm going to see what he's like in person and go from there. I'm sure I can walk away with this bike for $4800.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Haha just seen that it has a wheelie bar on the back... Yea this guy is blowin smoke

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
If you were to look at it, check out the plastics. Lots of Chinese companies make those OEM look a like. It looks like he's missing a few OEM stickers and I don't know if he removed them or ordered a kit like that. If it's knock off I'd walk away.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you were to look at it, check out the plastics. Lots of Chinese companies make those OEM look a like. It looks like he's missing a few OEM stickers and I don't know if he removed them or ordered a kit like that. If it's knock off I'd walk away.

What's a good way to check if they are knock offs or not while everything is still intact?

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
What's a good way to check if they are knock offs or not while everything is still intact?
Easiest way on a white bike is the pearl. The OEM white pearl on the CBRs is beautiful. Gorgeous bike in person. Although I've heard some people saying they added a pearl to their paint jobs. I guess the next way would be to see if the stickers on the body (except the tank) are clear coated over.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Easiest way on a white bike is the pearl. The OEM white pearl on the CBRs is beautiful. Gorgeous bike in person. Although I've heard some people saying they added a pearl to their paint jobs. I guess the next way would be to see if the stickers on the body (except the tank) are clear coated over.
Ok I'll keep an eye out for the clear coat and pearl in the paint job. This bike is in my price range, the color scheme I like with no physical damage. Reason why I'm pursuing this bike, especially if I can get the bike under $5k.

Anything else I should look out for? I know forks would be a great indicator if the bike was heated on or not, but I don't know what to look for exactly.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah check if the fork seals are leaking - the shiny metal part of the forks will look wet if so. The problem is, sounds like the guy is willing to lie a bit to sell the bike. NEVER stunted? After specifically modifying the bike for it? Smells like BS to me.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah check if the fork seals are leaking - the shiny metal part of the forks will look wet if so. The problem is, sounds like the guy is willing to lie a bit to sell the bike. NEVER stunted? After specifically modifying the bike for it? Smells like BS to me.

Thanks bud, I'll keep an eye for that.

What do you guys think about this?
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3741198669.html
I would like to walk away from this deal for $5,500. He said $6k after I offered $5k, maybe reason with him and meet in the middle?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts