Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The M1’s engine block begins as a 90kg (198 lbs) chunk of aluminum that, says Yamaha, costs about the same as a VW Golf. Some 40 hours of machining later, it is whittled down to just 4.5kg (9.9 lbs)! The crankshaft inside undergoes seven different heat treatments over a 12-to-15-week period to ensure robust strength.

Boardroom Meeting!! YES PLEASE ;)

·
Registered
14,365 Posts
Working for the factory team would be a high stress job. It would be a very cool job, but the penalty fr failure is high, and the hours are long I'm sure.

Here'a good example of the machining process.

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Working for the factory team would be a high stress job. It would be a very cool job, but the penalty fr failure is high, and the hours are long I'm sure.

Here'a good example of the machining process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfcW7cbn1HE
amazing you can program a computer hit start and it'll make and engine block or a rim for a car.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
amazing you can program a computer hit start and it'll make and engine block or a rim for a car.
Yes you are right, last week I was at an "additive-manufacturing" demonstration for the company were I work. it is amazing to see these machines creating the part(s) for you. there were just "plastic" printers live demo, but we saw videos on metals/alloys too. For sure this will be the future and the improvement in weight reduction would be amazing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts