Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of you picking up your new bike make sure you inspect it very well before you leave the dealership. I didn't and I have a cracked lower fairing on the left side of the bike. The fairing was pushed up against the exhaust and it melted some, and there is a crack about 8 inches long directly in front of it. I noticed in my garage after putting about 60 miles on the bike. I took it back to the dealer and they said they'd have to call Honda. The service manager thinks I ran over something, but there is not a mark anywhere, just melted plastic and a crack. And advice on what I should do? If I would have done it I'd own up and pay for a new one, but I know I have not ran over anything.

·
Registered
847 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Unfortunately, that's why you have to inspect the piss out of it before you take it off their lot. at least it isn't anything very serious.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Was it assembled wrong or do you think it's a defect from the factory? There's no reason for the dealer to decline warranty work, Honda pays for the parts and the labour for doing the work.

Call Honda and inquire. It's a brand new bike, they probably don't want an unhappy customer and may assist with the cost even if it's not a warrantable defect.

As always, be polite to the people you speak with. If you spark off and sound like a tard, you may as well just hang up the phone and call it a day.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke the dealer today and they won't cover it under warranty. But he said the part is about $96 at their cost, and he'll split that with me, and install it for free. So it'll cost me just under $50 to get it fixed. I think the bike was just assembled wrong, not a factory defect.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Call honda corp and tell them what happend. They'll ask you what dealer was it and maybe you can get what they call a "good will service" and repair it for free. How can a crack melt something? Its obvious they put the lower fairing on wrong. Its a new bike! Call Honda.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Don't forget, the dealer is independently owned. American Honda has no jurisdiction over how they conduct their business.

If you really did nothing wrong, you should stand your ground and get the whole thing covered. Use the fact that the dealer is willing to pay half, leaving you with only $50.00 to pay as leverage. It's not the $ amount, it's the principle, you spent your hard earned money and got a damaged bike.

Remember, stay polite.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't forget, the dealer is independently owned. American Honda has no jurisdiction over how they conduct their business.
They do. Get American Honda involved, they'll have a DSM come out to look at the bike- or since the part is relatively inexpensive, they may simply allow the part and repair to be "Goodwill" work. Trust me, Honda is very easy to deal with.
Bri

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
They do. Get American Honda involved, they'll have a DSM come out to look at the bike
That's not Honda having jurisdiction over the dealer, that's them sending their road rep out and if they agree, providing their $ toward the repair. I also really doubt the rep would come out due to that small repair. Maybe if he was already scheduled at that particular dealer maybe.

Anyhow, I do agree that he should call Honda but I really doubt the other half of the repair will be coming from the dealer as a result of that call. You do though have a good chance of getting the cash from Honda with it being a new bike and all.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Which dealership did you buy it from?
To my knowledge, the set-up guys wouldn't mess with the fairings, so there is a good chance it was damaged in the crate.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Yeah, get the dealership's name up here and let them in on the thread if they want to discuss it. At least they'll know they won't be getting any new customers from here if they don't fess up. Don't pay! The fact that the guy offered to split the cost makes it sound to me like they want to brush this under the rug and hope nobody hears about it. If it were really your fault and they knew it, why would they offer any assistance whatsoever. Not to mention the fact that they're suggesting you're lying by making you pay.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
i didn't think about inspecting my bike either when i got it new last year and i noticed that there were some scratches on the bottom of the clutch cover. i was too excited to inspect the bike and just wanted to take it home at that time. i don't think the dealear will own up to their mistake once the bike leaves the lot.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I spoke the dealer today and they won't cover it under warranty. But he said the part is about $96 at their cost, and he'll split that with me, and install it for free. So it'll cost me just under $50 to get it fixed. I think the bike was just assembled wrong, not a factory defect.
That sounds pretty reasonable. Chalk it up as a cheap lesson in inspecting a new bike before you ride it off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a problem similar to this when I picked mine up in '05. Actually it was my fault, I installed a resistor to close to the side fairing and it got hot and melted the side fairing. I took it back into my dealer and he sent me a new one under warranty no questions asked. I've done a lot of business with this dealer so that might be why, but the dealer could easily make it seem like a factory defect or a shipping damage and get it covered for you. But it still seemed to work out good for you.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
^ Honda kinda frowns on that kind of thing. It's called fraud meng.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts