Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sup guys, just wondering if this gap between the 4 header collars/flanges and the engine is anything to worry about. I put squares around them in the pic so theyre visible. All studs were torqued down to OE specs (9ft/lbs) and new gaskets were used too. Just wondering why there's still some gap there, as you can see. Bike makes no noise, I feel no air escaping. I just dont want to over tighten and strip a bolt but at the same time I dont want it loose enough where maybe it'll have an exhaust leak. What do you all think?

If you installed headers on your bike, is this normal to have that gap between the collar/flange and the engine casing?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply. Did you torque them down to spec (9ft/lb) or just hand tighten? Im tempted to tighten them just a lil bit more (for peace of mind I guess - bc I heard over time these things come loose) but I dont want to strip a bolt, or the threads inside the head.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I did both and the gap was still there. I even took the bolt out and figured why it cant go all the way up. The middle of the bolt has no threads its just fat to snap in place.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea youre right. I was comparing it to the OEM flanges and how there's hardly any gap with those but I guess thats because the OEM flanges are a bit thicker so they take up more room

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I havent looked at my arrow headers to notice any gap but I'm sure its there. We tq'd it down well and used new gaskets so dw about it.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
yea just checked mine and another friend who has a leo vince system on his rr - same kind of gap. My guess as to why there's a gap: The stud has a skinny end and a thick end. The thick end goes into the head and the flange for the header bolts down inside the skinny end of the bolt. Also, there's no thread in the middle of the bolt. So long as you dont see any remaining thread on either end, then it's right where it needs to be. I believe the aftermarket flanges for headers are slimmer than the OEM which accounts for the gap you may not have seen before.

For the pro's, does my reasoning sound about right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts