Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
so i installed my K&N today, considering that im compleatly unmechanicly inclineed, getting access to the air filter was a PITA. I've read other posts saying that the 3 tabs screwed are tight as hell and many have stripped them out but i got them out easy, i thought this was going to be the hard part. You have to loosen the 3 tab's screws on the bottom for the filters tabs to slide in right.

Putting on the new filter was rediculously crazy, the three screws just werent lining up, I finally got the two sides in but the top wasnt lineing up right. Then i dropped the screw, luckly it didnt go into one of the ports, it fell between the first port and the wall of the airbox, I reached in to get it but it slipped and went further down. There was no way I could get it out, I tried everything. Its like right undernearth the first tab. I dont know how to take the bike apart even more so i gave up after I scraped and cut my fingers up trying to get it and put everything back together

I don't think theres any way for it to go into the ports if the only open part of them is the top rim of each. Should I just let it be or do I have to get it out.

Sory for the long read and thanks

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
try using a magnet on a stick or bubble gum on a stick if you can see it. else take it apart. not good to leave it in there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeah, go to an auto parts store and get a magnetic stix. Works wonders. Also try a dollar store, sometimes they carry them as well. But don't leave it in there.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx, its wedged in there pretty good and theres like no space to get in there, I can take the cover for the airbox off but thats as far as i can go, to get more access, i'd prob need to take the sides of the air box off. You have to take the gas tank off to do that right? I took all the screws out from its out base but it just wasnt comming off. THe front of it (near the forks) was comming up but not the rear wich is up against the gas tank.

Do I need to take the tank off to get the air box out and over the ports?
Is it hard? Remember I am not a DIYer at all and I loose at least one bolt or screw everytime i take my bike apart haha.

thanks

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Imagine this. You hit a nice big bump or land a wheelie. That wedged in screw comes loose and oops, goes into the intake, through the open valve and then gets slammed around the cylinder by the piston which is going up and down 250 times a second if you are at 15000 RPM, punching holes through the top of the piston with each pass and bending valve stems...........
Not sure the dealership is going to foot the bill for a new top end and pistons once they find the offending screw and a shiney new aftermarket filter missing a screw.

·
Registered
428 Posts
joe_rocket65 said:
Imagine this. You hit a nice big bump or land a wheelie. That wedged in screw comes loose and oops, goes into the intake, through the open valve and then gets slammed around the cylinder by the piston which is going up and down 250 times a second if you are at 15000 RPM, punching holes through the top of the piston with each pass and bending valve stems...........

Yeah what he said..... Get it out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeai plan to get it out but if i cant get it out with a magnet stick, is it fairly easy to remove the rest of the side of the air box up and over the intake ports, liek i said, the front of it comes up a few inches (up by the forks) the back of it (up against the tank istn comming up, i took all the screw out of the base of the air box. Do i need to take the actual gas tank off to get the rest of the air box up and over the intake ports?

Whats keeping the back of the box in place? It comes up all the way around till it reaches the tank.

Is it fairly simple to take the gas tank off if even nessasery?

Thanks, and damn you guys reply fast

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I think the best thing to do is walk away and come back to it the following day. Seem like it's got you all worked up. May not be so hard once you relax a little.

Jason

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i went at it today with a magnet stick and needle nose pliers, it just wasnt pulling up. I jammed my fingers down into there as hard at i could cutting them all up and finally got the screw out, turns out the tiny washer was down there too, good thing i found that also.

all in all this wasa good experience, it's the farthest i've gone with my bike mechanically and i feel more confident and more in tune with how my bike works.

Thank for all the help guys, next is to learn how to take the wheels off

·
Registered
81 Posts
TonyBarron said:
Bikes are female, nice to ride and an absolute bitch at times!
well @ least bikes dont talk **** all the time. LOL. I dont care how cool a girl is, just wait till you get married or join up.....Dr. Jekel and Mr. Hyde.:female:

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Next time just pick the bike up, turn her over and shake that bitch out...

·
Registered
24 Posts
magnet,chewing gum,whatever just get it out....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts