Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here so not sure if I'm posting in the right area.
Had my bike bog stock for a while unti I started reading on here.
So I got a jardine rt1 dual, shortened it 50mm as per the instructions here, re packed it properly, wrapped 2 layers of the what looks like brass metal matting (from my old WR) first so the direct heat doesn't harden the packing and than packed it neatly, Not too tight but filled every void (**** of a shape to pack, this muffler).
I did over tighten the clamp though, dented the pipes a little bit, hope this will not affect it too much, couldn't detect any leaks around it and it's not backfiring on decell.
Installed an evotech tail tidy and smaller led blinkers. Looks so much better, should have done it ages ago.
Today was the test ride, sounds awesome, not loud and deep, just what I wanted. Feels a little lighter I think but power increase (if any) isnt anything to write home about.
I did notice notice it ran smoother but 5C hotter than normal, previously it ran at 74C now 79C, at lights it got to 104C where as before it would only reach up to 100-101C max.
Is this normal or is this a sign of being lean?
Dynobike have an offer for a PC5 (I think) installed and custom mapped for fixed price of $850, but I would rather updated my helmet for that amount if I don't really need it.
Does it sound like its lean, or is the 4C nothing to worry about?

Great site btw, found tonnes of good info here.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks.
Think I undersold the pipe though. Took it for another ride on a long smooth familiar road, and pleasant surpris.
I hit the throttle and at 6k the front wheel came up and kept coming up till I backed off at approximately 11.5k cos I though it will flip.
Wow, it has never done that before, stock at 6k felt like you're towing a caravan, didn't wake up till 7.5k before.
The muffler made a big difference, not sure about HP but delivery of it is much better.
I found a new love for my bike.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yeah an aftermarket exhaust will help smooth things out a little in the powerband, but not much. These bikes from the factory already come a little lean, and An exhaust WILL make your bike run a little more lean. Give your bike a bit to get use to the change. if you do anything other mods, I'd recommend you get a power commander or Bazzaz Zfi fuel module. Wouldn't want to keep making the bike lean and not being able to tune it correctly

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Give your bike a bit to get use to the change. if you do anything other mods, I'd recommend you get a power commander or Bazzaz Zfi fuel module.
Thanks, I think it sort of got used it, the temp dropped a bit and it seems to have quietened down a little more.
I think the next few bits and bobs for me will be a PC V with custom tune, 2 teeth up on the back sprocket, a 190/55 rear tyre and a gear indicator.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thanks, I think it sort of got used it, the temp dropped a bit and it seems to have quietened down a little more.
I think the next few bits and bobs for me will be a PC V with custom tune, 2 teeth up on the back sprocket, a 190/55 rear tyre and a gear indicator.
There ya go! Just gotta give everything time to break in :) just FYI, I've heard people going to a 190 In the rear and HATING it. I'm not too familiar with what it does exactly or what the benefits are, but all I know is I've heard numerous times that the steering geometry never works out in their favor

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
79C running & 104C at the stoplights is still pretty cool IMO so you're safe as far as temps go, try burping the cooling system of air, you might have some trapped inside causing the temps to fluctuate.

As for the 190 vs 180 debate, i was a skepric before & i interviewed racers who ran the 190/55 on their 600's & swore never to go back on the 180/55 so i gave them a shot & i was pleasantly surprised with the results, more cornering & acceleration grip than the 180/55, made a few geometry & damping changes to suit the bigger rear tire. I love it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
79C running & 104C at the stoplights is still pretty cool IMO so you're safe as far as temps go, try burping the cooling system of air, you might have some trapped inside causing the temps to fluctuate.

As for the 190 vs 180 debate, i was a skepric before & i interviewed racers who ran the 190/55 on their 600's & swore never to go back on the 180/55 so i gave them a shot & i was pleasantly surprised with the results, more cornering & acceleration grip than the 180/55, made a few geometry & damping changes to suit the bigger rear tire. I love it.

Great news.
I'm far from a racer and know FA about geometry, I just want a 190 cos I like the look of a tyre with more meat on it.
Might throw in some shorty levers while I'm at it.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Mine was on 110c the other day, was 40c outside with 80% humidity.

Average is for me is around 100-106c.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts