Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, i installed steelbraided brakelines on the front. I bled the brake but i wont get good enough pressure. I can still push the lever to the handlebar if i press hard enough. I used a vacuum pump and i pushed fluid in from the bleeding nipples and use the banjobolt as a bleedingnipple but it just wont get any stiffer, does anyone know a other solution?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Rebuild the master cylinder. Sounds maybe its not pushing deep enough. Or the little nipple is missing/broken.

Assuming it's all air tight but if it wasn't you'd be leaking some fluid.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rebuild the master cylinder. Sounds maybe its not pushing deep enough. Or the little nipple is missing/broken.

Assuming it's all air tight but if it wasn't you'd be leaking some fluid.
What little nipple do you mean? Its an 05 btw

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,935 Posts
if they worked fine before, then you don't need to rebuild anything.

just keep bleeding. you probably have air in the master itself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if they worked fine before, then you don't need to rebuild anything.

just keep bleeding. you probably have air in the master itself.
I have been bleeding it for ages now hahah, thinking to take it to a dealer

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,935 Posts
get rid of the vacuum bleeder. just bleed it conventionally, beat on the lines with a screwdriver handle, open the reservoir and push the pads back into the calipers (forcing fluid up, and taking any air with it into the master).

you just have a trapped pocket somewhere it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
get rid of the vacuum bleeder. just bleed it conventionally, beat on the lines with a screwdriver handle, open the reservoir and push the pads back into the calipers (forcing fluid up, and taking any air with it into the master).

Thanks! I will try that monday will keep you posted

·
Registered
2,116 Posts

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I’ve had it happen before, conventionally bleeding always has taken care of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A good tip I found was to tie the brake lever to the throttle with a zip tie and leave it over night. Helps to force any bubbles to the top of the lines. Then check it again the next day to see if it's still a firm lever. But obviously do this after you've managed to get it working properly.

Yeah I would definitely do it conventionally it's easier and you'll get better results. Just takes a bit of time to get it going.

·
Registered
264 Posts
One thing I have found over the years is that bleeding brakes is a BLEEDING pain in the ass!

Using a vacuum pump as you have described helps speed up the process getting plenty of brake fluid into the system, but I would also suggest you finish off with a conventional bleed: pump the lever a few times, hold brake lever against bar, open bleed nipple to allow fluid to escape, close bleed nipple, pump lever again. And repeat that process.

Once the lever starts to feel firm, stop. Then, as previously suggested, tie the brake lever as far back to the bar as possible and leave over night. This helps any air to rise back up to the master cylinder.

Even when I'm just putting fresh fluid in I will fill and drain the master cylinder about 4 times per caliper.

As you had no fluid in the system at all after fitting new hoses, you can reuse the fluid that you bleed out as it's still new.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,935 Posts
if you do zip tie the lever all you're actually doing is getting the fluid up to the master. to clear the air out you should push the pads in or apply pressure from below to migrate that trapped air into the reservoir. there's no assurance it'll actually do it itself.

·
Registered
2018 S1000RR Blue/White/Carbon 2015 R3 Red/White 2006 CBR600RR (blacked out)
37 Posts
if you do zip tie the lever all you're actually doing is getting the fluid up to the master. to clear the air out you should push the pads in or apply pressure from below to migrate that trapped air into the reservoir. there's no assurance it'll actually do it itself.
Sorry but you're not right in saying that.

I installed brake lines on my GSXR 750 one winter and had a hell of a time bleeding all the air out as I had the same low pressure feeling at the handle. Zip tied the lever to the bar and left it overnight. Next morning VOILA problem gone.

You understand that air is lighter than brake fluid yeah? Therefore when the master is fully depressed and the return port is opened inside the master, gravity does the rest. Air bubbles will rise to the top of the lines and enter the reservoir eliminating the air stuck in the system. No need for fancy vacuum tools.

Prepare an empty water/pop bottle and drill a hole in the cap slightly smaller than the outside diameter of some fuel or vacuum hose (cheap to buy at any auto part store sold by the foot)
install the hose into the cap about an inch or so, attach the lid onto your bottle

Step 1) park the bike and lift it onto stands to get it level
Step 2) remove the reservoir cap and place rags all around the reservoir to catch any spilliage
Step 3) have someone squeeze the lever multiple times and hold it
Step 4) attach your line to the bleeder screw on the caliper and slowly open the bleeder. the lever will compress further but keep it held until you retighten the bleeder.
Step 5) perform step 4 2-3 times per caliper ensuring you top up the fluid as needed not going over the full line
Step 6) zip tie your lever fully closed or use a bungee cord
Step 7) crack open a cold beer for you and your friend and leave the bike till morning
problem should be gone by morning

** side note brake fluid level is indicative of pad life in that as your pads wear fluid remains in the caliper so make sure when topping up your fluid that you return it back to the original level for a visual representation of your pad life. Its a closed system so fluid stays in the caliper as pads wear and you see your level slowly get lower in the reservoir. Every other fuel up or maybe every oil change you can actually check your brake pads by turning the wheel and looking into the caliper.

Same applies to your car, pop your hood and take notice of your brake fluid level when pads/rotors are new and your level should be at MAX. If your level is halfway between or closer to LOW then your pads front and/or rear could require replacement. Front brakes are bigger than rear brakes and therefore hold more fluid as the pads wear down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No matter what i do i keep having this spongy brake ( whatch the video)

Are you sure that's a spongy feel? It looks to me like you are having to squeeze fairly hard at the bottom when the lever is near the bar? When I did mine, it was super obvious that it wasn't right as the lever was limp and had a very weak pull. That to me looks like it's pulling under pressure. But, it's difficult to judge by the video without me feeling the lever myself. Did you try the lever zip lock technique overnight?

The lever should only feel firm and have a nice grab to it. It will never be rock solid.

If you are really struggling maybe see if a garage can take a look? Get a second opinion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No matter what i do i keep having this spongy brake ( whatch the video)
video doesn't do much to show how much pressure or resistance there is when squeezing. It does look easy to squeeze but my lever moves the same amount and the pressure "felt" when squeezing is what could be compared. You could have an issue with the master if the system is bled correctly where it leaks internally and instead of going to the pads the fluid gets past a seal in the master and returns to the reservoir. Did you install the lines correctly? Do both lines go from the caliper to the master individually or from one side to the other and only one line to the master and to one caliper? If only one line to the master and a link line from side to side did you stack the lines in the correct order?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you sure that's a spongy feel? It looks to me like you are having to squeeze fairly hard at the bottom when the lever is near the bar? When I did mine, it was super obvious that it wasn't right as the lever was limp and had a very weak pull. That to me looks like it's pulling under pressure. But, it's difficult to judge by the video without me feeling the lever myself. Did you try the lever zip lock technique overnight?

The lever should only feel firm and have a nice grab to it. It will never be rock solid.

If you are really struggling maybe see if a garage can take a look? Get a second opinion.
I really think it should be firmer but i could be wrong tho, i did the ziptie like 5 times now hahah
Yea thinking of taking it to the dealer

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really think it should be firmer but i could be wrong tho, i did the ziptie like 5 times now hahah
try pressure bleeding the calipers with a water bottle and then do the zip tie.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
video doesn't do much to show how much pressure or resistance there is when squeezing. It does look easy to squeeze but my lever moves the same amount and the pressure "felt" when squeezing is what could be compared. You could have an issue with the master if the system is bled correctly where it leaks internally and instead of going to the pads the fluid gets past a seal in the master and returns to the reservoir. Did you install the lines correctly? Do both lines go from the caliper to the master individually or from one side to the other and only one line to the master and to one caliper? If only one line to the master and a link line from side to side did you stack the lines in the correct order?
If it bleeds internally shouldn't the feel fade away when applying presure? I have 2 lines both go from the master to the calipers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah if in doubt get a second opinion. You might find they say it's ok? Brakes are always a faff to get right. Took me a while to get mine sorted. The first few bends at Oulton Park on brand new pads, new discs and freshly bled brakes were definitely scary! 😂

1 - 20 of 45 Posts