Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Going along with our recent post about doing mods. This kind of falls inline.

Some guys won't even turn a wrench on their bike. Except maybe adjust clutch Cable or Chain Tension. :biggrin:

Others have no problem rebuilding a motor, or tearing down their Suspension.

Do you DIY for everything, or do you draw the line at certain things. ??

·
Registered
33 Posts
For me it totally depends on the machine.

My cars only ever see a garage if there's something I physically can't do myself or don't have the tools for. The rest I do myself.

However, when it comes to my bike (which I've only owned for a couple of weeks) it has only done 5,000 miles since 2005 and has full dealer history - I'll keep taking it back to them in order to keep the documentation comprehensive despite the fact there's nothing I couldn't do (granted a lot of it I'd need to thoroughly research beforehand) on my own.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I can do most of the maintainance by myself...

There are two things I would never touch...

1º Changing fork seals/fork fluid
2º Valve checking/adjusting

i have no problem with electrics, brakes, coolant or oil...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I can do most of the maintainance by myself...

There are two things I would never touch...

1º Changing fork seals/fork fluid
2º Valve checking/adjusting

i have no problem with electrics, brakes, coolant or oil...
This is my opinion as well I've done fork seals and they are messy and a pain so I have the local shop that I trust do it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I do almost everything myself, can't fit tyres because I don't have the equipment & I get my suspension done by a local guy, apart from that I do my own maintenance. valve check was the last major thing I done

got my haynes manual & .net if I get stuck

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
no I don't bother, this will be a track bike eventually anyway & I know whats been done so there not much point. FSH is good for a future resale but I have no intention of doing that

·
Registered
661 Posts
yeah mine is on stands when I'm not using it. I like to work on my bike, it keeps me away from the mrs when shes moaning about something lol
Oh how true. Half the time the moaning is cause I pay more attention to it anyways:D

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah mine is on stands when I'm not using it. I like to work on my bike, it keeps me away from the mrs when shes moaning about something lol
That's a good point, but then again when that happen's I just go ride or go to Best Buy.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That's a good point, but then again when that happen's I just go ride or go to Best Buy.

:thumbup: thats another solution

I've already suggested it many times actually! she keeps saying no...but harder to get in and out though but the bedroom is next to the garage :crackup: not by choice, somebody beat me to rent the en suite, but im happy i didn't i barely manage the current rent :O plus it makes sense im the only user of the garage and im next to it
I hear you on the rent, its a biatch! more than half my monthly wage goes on rent & I could have a house in the country for the same price in Scotland surrounded by great bike roads. I can't wait til my gf's masters is finished, hopefully she'll get work up there

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do everything! There is far to much info out there to let some shop take advantage of you. as far as im concerned if i have the time to do something, i will try my best to do it myself. An oil change or any fluid swap on a bike is pretty easy, brake pads and such are easy. I have yet to fiddle with the chain, but when that time comes im sure it will be a walk in the park. of course having the tools and the right tools makes all the difference. The local shops around here charge an arm and a leg, they wanted 200 to install frame sliders(sliders not included) on my 09, i literally laughed in the guys face, like are you kidding me? it took me 20mins to get the lowers off, marked, tapped and cut with an 8 dollar alignment tool oes sold me with the sliders, and an 8 dollar hole saw. I'll admit one side came out ever so slightly off center, but 5mins with a dremel and it looked fine. saved myself 180 bucks.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seem's like most shop's have to pay their guy's so much that they bump the flat rate time on job's to help pay them, But then that drive's the customer away.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know I like doing most of it myself also. But I guess I'm lucky cause I have a friend that is a mechanic and he will come over and help if I need it. Which I'm glad does not happen very often since I have not had any major problem's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts