Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to istall some turn signals on my YSR and since you guys are so smart I figured I would ask... The fairings I have on it are fiberglass and I need to drill a hole on both sides (tail and front section of the bike) to mount turn signals. Does anyone have any good tips as to how I can get them both even and spaced right on both sides?

Thanks.
Jason

PS: Also, should I just use a regular drill bit to drill into fiberglass?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Use a laser level to get the point in the same place.

Find a good reference point or two on the bike to measure from on both sides.

Some laser levels will allow you to set the angle of the beam, so you may be able to line up the beam on the front and rear at the same time.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is what i have done on different applications where the object isn't the same on both sides...

Put your front tire against a wall (make sure the bike is 90* to the floor), then rig up a laser pointer so it is horizontal to where you want the hole. When it is time to do the other side, simple measure where the laser pointer was i.e. distance from wall, and height from the floor, and flip it to the other side of the bike.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck!

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a laser pointer but should I buy a laser level?

Thanks so far guys.

Jason

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coskibum00 said:
This is what i have done on different applications where the object isn't the same on both sides...

Put your front tire against a wall (make sure the bike is 90* to the floor), then rig up a laser pointer so it is horizontal to where you want the hole. When it is time to do the other side, simple measure where the laser pointer was i.e. distance from wall, and height from the floor, and flip it to the other side of the bike.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck!
Maybe it is just me but this sounds tricky.

Jason

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Just put some masking tape where you want to signals and mark the holes. Then verify they look square from the front of the bike. Leave the masking tape on when you cut the holes so you won't chip the paint.

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
NewRedRider said:
Just put some masking tape where you want to signals and mark the holes. Then verify they look square from the front of the bike. Leave the masking tape on when you cut the holes so you won't chip the paint.
The fairings are only primer right now, should I still use tape and any sorta special drill bit?

Jason

Pix...

I got flush mounts for the front and the tail.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I suggested a level because it generates a wide spectrum laser beam that should go from the front to the rear of the bike vs a single point beam. I like NewRed's idea of the tape markers, just be sure they are even on both sides.

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess maybe I can get it close enough measure from corners and by eye.

Jason

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
The masking tape just give you something to mark on with a pen. It doubles to protect the paint but seeing as yours is primered it doesn't really help there. I think you will be fine by locking the bike in place and measuring.

Here's a thought. You have two fairing bolts on each side. Use a compass or a small piece of string to scribe a measured mark in an arch from both bolts. Wherever those two marks intersect should be exactly the same on each side if both fairings/bolts are the same on each side. They should surely be close enough. Does that make sense? You're basically drawing an arch the same length away from each bolt.

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was out looking at this again tonight. I think I am just going to mount one and then measure off that one to mount the other like it.

Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts