Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine, has a uncle who has a lisance to buy things from insurance and bank auctions he says. He said laid down CBR's and repo'd CBR's pop up quite frequently. So im going to start going with him to the auctions to see if I can end my hunt for a rr.

My question is, have any of you ever dealt with or experianced one of these auctions? Is there anything I should be aware of in the buying process or anything to make sure to look out for?

D

·
0 Posts
A license to buy from bank and insurance auctions? Those things are open to the public...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I wasent really sure what he was talking about either, I thought they were open to the public as well, however; I have no idea where they are and the process that occurs at one, so going with someone with experiance regardless of their "lisance" or not seemed like a good idea.

Knowing my luck ill end up going with him to some "auction" and getting mugged or something.

·
Registered
857 Posts
went to one a few years back. you can inspect the vehicles before the start. deals werent that great to me but from what i understand if you go all the time you can pick one up really cheap every now and then.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i thought you had to have a business license to go to them actually.

down south u always got to watch for flood bikes, i see them all the time.

·
Registered
857 Posts
i went with a guy who was an auto broker. here in houston there are two competing locations "houston auto acution" is one dont know the name of the other. they are open like every thursday or something. my bud had some kind of pass around his neck. but since i went it must be open to the anyone and just need i license to bid?. i have heard a radio commercaal that said "open to the public" good luck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i went with a guy who was an auto broker. here in houston there are two competing locations "houston auto acution" is one dont know the name of the other. they are open like every thursday or something. my bud had some kind of pass around his neck. but since i went it must be open to the anyone and just need i license to bid?. i have heard a radio commercaal that said "open to the public" good luck.

You went to a "dealers auction." You have to either go with someone with a dealer's license or wholesaler's license. They have them all over the nation from different companies, the largest being manheim. This is where dealerships buy and sell cars for their lots. Certain days they have some bikes. A friend of mine has a dealership in MD, he rides and was going to pick me up a bike. He never found what I was looking for, besides I got tired of waiting...so I just got one on my own. You never know what they will have, and if they do, you have to be able to really check everything out quickly. C6r

·
Testicular Fortitude
8,952 Posts
I missouri you have to have a dealers license or a rebuilders license to goto the auto actions atleast around where i lived

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Dang. I'm getting mixed info on what is needed to purchase these bikes at insurance auctions. I live in California and looking for a project bike. I always see some people posting salvaged bikes on craigslist that are in need of repair. I call these people up and they say that just bought it from an insurance auction. Seems like these people just go there, buy it, then resell it the next day or are in the process of fixing it back up. So this guy that I spoke to didn't have a dealer or dismantler license and I asked him how he got into the auction. He said that you didn't need to have a dealer/dismantler license and that you just needed to have a business license.

Where do you go to find these auctions in California? If you had a business license from "Quikstar" would you still be able to go to these auctions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are public auctions all the time. But alot of them you have to have a license to attend the auction.

D

·
0 Posts
This should clear it up some.
Public auction: Anyone can attend. No license is required.
Dealer auction: You need a dealers license to attend.

Auctions will always say if it's a dealers or public auction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts