Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put in my time on the little cruiser (the shadow vlx) and want an rr. My biggest hurdle at the present is the insurance (the sorrows of a 22yo single male). On my current bike I don't have any comprehensive and only pay $14X a year. I reasoned that it i did crash on some back roads i would be unlikly to do more that $1500 (the extra cost per year for the comprehensive) of damage per year. I also figured most damage that is shy of totaling a bike is often minimal (scratched engine covers, broken lever/pegs etc) and would be unlikely to even surpass the deductible which would have been $500 for me.

So , I ran an online quote and w/o comprehensive on an 05 600rr and i will pay around $526 a year, which i can handle. Im not the type to go wheeling down the freeway or try to throw down on the tank stoppies with the sixk street ballaz, but i know i have a much greater chance of going down on a sport bike. So i wanted to see what you guys would recomend for coverage, looking back on you first bike. I've driven mustangs since i was 15 and had the bike since i was 19 and my record is clean, in case that influences your advise. Oh, and with a $500 deductable comprehensive play i would be paying $3000 a year.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I have always had full coverage on my motorcycles. I started riding when I was 19 and I am now 30. I would lean towards full coverage for a couple of reasons....theft, 600rr parts are rather expensive, but most importantly for me, peace of mind.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i am 21 and have an 06 rr...this is my first insurance policy in my name and im only carrying liability on it for 157.29/yr from state farm. they quoted me 967/year for full coverage. progressive quoted me 4000/yr for full coverage. the way i look at it is if ur going to pay $4000/yr ur almost better off just fixin the bike when it goes down with that 4000 u payed into insurance...or over the course of ur loan for the RR u will have payed almost 15000 in insurance...haha thats only 2 RR's ....ill stick with liability

·
Registered
787 Posts
try going to your local insurance agent (i.e. state farm) instead of going online (progressive..geico)

i only reason im with progressive right now is because i cant get a policy at state farm...where they look at 5 years of my driving history...im 21 now and when i was 16/17 my driving record is BAD...been 3+ years violation free now, but since state farm look at 5 years, i cant get a policy...so ill have to wait another 2 years or so

by the way, im paying 186/year minimum liability only (no uninsured/underinsured motorist and no medical payment) through drive insurance (progressive)....if i want full coverage with a 1000 deductable, it wouldve been 2000...im gonna wait til i can get a policy with state farm and get full insurance than

·
Registered
84 Posts
Teg's right. You'll probably get a lower rate and better service going with a local agent. I have my 600RR with Farmers and it's 484 for 1 yr. I'm 24, clean record, and it's full coverage with 250 deductible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
waterman said:
Im not the type to go wheeling down the freeway or try to throw down on the tank stoppies with the sixk street ballaz, but i know i have a much greater chance of going down on a sport bike.
Jeff
Why on earth would you have a greater chance of going down on a sportbike? An RR is MUCH more responsive than your Shadow so if you're not being stupid, you should have less of a chance of going down. You will also have a better view of traffic because the seat is higher.

I work for an insurance company and I find it hard to believe that your yearly payment goes from $526 to $3000 a year just for comp. Either someone made a mistake or you need to find a new insurance company. Theft falls under comp, so you're going to want that for sure.

·
Registered
936 Posts
yeah insurance is a tricky thing. I personally have only liability, $173/year. If you are a responsible guy and dont plan to commute on your bike then i think liability is Ok. The only thing I would worry about is having the bike stolen. That would really suck.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Go to State Farm...

Im OLD (36) but get a multi policy going like your car,suplimental medical insurance etc. and you will be surpised on your yearly policy cost.

Ohh and shop around from State Farm agents they do vey from place to place.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Best rate I could get for my bike was 3k a year, and that's with my car covered by the ame company (Allstate). No one wants to cover sport bikes in Philly. VERY high theft rate around here. State Farm wanted 4k, and Progressive wanted 7k. Amazing huh?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Go to an insurance broker. It will cost you $100 but you will get the best deal possible and wont have to call every insurance company to find out they wont even give u a policy. My time was worth $100.00. I have 3 points on my record and most companys wouldn't insure me and the ones that would want alot of money. One company wanted $16,000.00 for 1 year for full coverage and that was the lowest. I have liability and paid around $500 for the year. So if you want the lowest price and dont want to waste time calling go to a broker.

·
Premium Member - BOTM 02/2010
1,540 Posts
my bike is older and i just got it insured again this year b/c im 21 now, so with my insurance company, its $173 a year for liability. if i wanted a new bike with full coverage, it would be around $900 a year. I have Rider insurance which is a company i believe only in NJ. but i hear State Farm is the best. I would be with state farm except they only take motorcycles if you have something else insured with them, like your car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts