Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Have some questions for you about insurance recovery. I have full coverage, and I went down not so long ago (front wheel washed out) at a moderately low speed. Most of the damage seemed cosmetic par the broken clutch lever and rear pass. peg.
Anyway, I just got the estimate back, and it came in at $5700. The bike (an '05) has a KBB retail value of $5900. I'm concerned that the ins. co. will total the bike, but I'm not sure what the ramifications of that are. Do they (ins. co.) keep the bike then and just pay me the retail value? How would buying it back work then etc.?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Pictures?

Who did the estimate? Cosmetic damage shouldn't amount to $5700

And if they were to total it out, ideally, they would pay you the BB value minus your deductible. The bike would go to their possession.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't take pics. A local shop that is well respected in the m/c community looked at it. He said the parts are ~$4300 alone. I am awaiting a copy of the estimate.

I don't think it's out of line considering that there was ~$2000 worth of damage when a lady literally just knocked my bike over (backed into it) and all the damage was on the side that met the ground.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I didn't take pics. A local shop that is well respected in the m/c community looked at it. He said the parts are ~$4300 alone. I am awaiting a copy of the estimate.

I don't think it's out of line considering that there was ~$2000 worth of damage when a lady literally just knocked my bike over (backed into it) and all the damage was on the side that met the ground.
Did they tell you what needs to be replaced or is that information on the estimate that you're waiting for?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Endurance, 2-3 mos. left.

You know, I've kept my bike pretty pristine, so I'm not familiar w/ what are expected prices.

Anyone have any experience "buying" the bike back from the ins. co.?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Premature advice (due to not having all the facts): would be to go through insurance company. If they total it you get paid out minus the deductible like Jyn said and then it is time to go shopping for upgrade! A fortune in disguise perhaps?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Seems kinda steep as people have stated before, maybe if you are familiar w/ parts and such just piece it back together and see how much it would cost to replace yourself....just my opinion, gl

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey all,
Thanks for all the above by the way, I just wasn't sure about the mechanics of it.
Anyway, here's the update. Ins. says they're totaling the bike and are offering me their proposed value for the bike (which by the way is absolutely ridiculous-so I'm fighting with them right now). Because they are totalling the bike, I do have the option of buying it back, but with a salvaged title. Needless to say, their buy-back value is not worth it considering the amount needed to allegedly bring the bike back into pre-accident condition.
So, I'm bikeless now and will be for a while as I'm unsure of what I'm going to do. Been tossing the idea around about the Ducati 848, but I'm not entirely interested in taking on a new note right now. Anyway, thanks for the info. everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts