Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching around for insurance and the best quote I've got is ,from AIS and State Farm, $1,100 per 6 months. This to me seems outrageous but I was told it was because I have only 7 years driving experience and I am not putting a car on the policy. I was told the premium would drop significantly after 9 years of experience(2 more years for me).

I have a perfect record so what gives with the insane price? What were your guys experiences with your first bike insurance policy?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I shopped around for about 2 weeks and finally went with Progressive at about $550.00(full coverage) for the the entire year. I got quotes as high as you did and thought that was insane. The next closest was through the insurance company that insures my car at $666.00. Call me superstitious but I declined their offer.
I have been driving for over 19 years with no citations within the past 3 years.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Call several different State Farm agents. You would be surprised how prices can vary per agent. Also consider adding your car, this will usually get you the best rate. They claim thath they need to make a certain amount of money from you. I had a perfect driving record for over 20 years and still was getting quoted like 24 hun. I told them to go somewhere. I never gave up, and eventually got state farm for $50 per monts SWEET!!!

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a quote that included my car for about $40 for the bike. Unfortunately that car will either be sold or put on Non-Op very soon so there is no point in me getting a quote with that. My other option was putting my 67' Mini on the policy, but seeing as how it already has a ridiculously cheap insurance rate on it there is no reason to. I have to insure just the bike. My only savior might be getting on my dad's insurance, maybe.

·
Registered
142 Posts
ya, i would recommend calling another StateFarm agent. I have full coverage w/ medical for under 40/ mo.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Progressive gave me the best quote.

That said, it's a lot easier to insure a bike that is appropriate for a beginner. Insurance companies aren't dumb; they know that you're a lot more likely to do expensive damage to a fancy supersport than to a beat up beginner bike. So get a beat up beginner bike. Save some money on the short term and on the long term, and learn how to ride properly before you jump astride a 600-cc supersport.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've been searching around for insurance and the best quote I've got is ,from AIS and State Farm, $1,100 per 6 months. This to me seems outrageous but I was told it was because I have only 7 years driving experience and I am not putting a car on the policy. I was told the premium would drop significantly after 9 years of experience(2 more years for me).

I have a perfect record so what gives with the insane price? What were your guys experiences with your first bike insurance policy?

All you can really do is call around...don't just settle. I too was in the same situation and there is an on-going thread about this with state farm. You should really give them a call. Not only does it depend on the size and type of bike you are riding...it also depend on the area you store the bike. I was originally quoted like 2500 a year....which is utterly ridiculous. I shopped around and found a State farm agent that quoted me 580 per 6 months full coverage with 1000 comp and collision. I found out she made a mistake on the my zip and that alone changes the price. So I gave them my friends info on where i would store the bike...and it dropped it to 522 per 6 months with full coverage.

Honestly just keep calling around.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All you can really do is call around...don't just settle. I too was in the same situation and there is an on-going thread about this with state farm. You should really give them a call. Not only does it depend on the size and type of bike you are riding...it also depend on the area you store the bike. I was originally quoted like 2500 a year....which is utterly ridiculous. I shopped around and found a State farm agent that quoted me 580 per 6 months full coverage with 1000 comp and collision. I found out she made a mistake on the my zip and that alone changes the price. So I gave them my friends info on where i would store the bike...and it dropped it to 522 per 6 months with full coverage.

Honestly just keep calling around.
That's all I've been doing, I even met with 2 State Farm reps because the first didn't know what she was doing and quoted me a completely unrealistic price....unless of course I had a car under the policy(which I won't).

The search continues.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have no car with them....i've been driving for 5 years, i'm 22, turning 23. One accident not at fault. First bike....and i'm paying 1044 for a year. I think you should call a bit more places....where in la do you live? You might want to find someone you know to see if you can use their address as the storage for the bike. IF you live in downtown for sure the prices are going to be high. It really depends on your age, your driving(cage experience), how many accidents...stuff like that

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no car with them....i've been driving for 5 years, i'm 22, turning 23. One accident not at fault. First bike....and i'm paying 1044 for a year. I think you should call a bit more places....where in la do you live? You might want to find someone you know to see if you can use their address as the storage for the bike. IF you live in downtown for sure the prices are going to be high. It really depends on your age, your driving(cage experience), how many accidents...stuff like that
I live in downtown Culver City which is pretty much one of the safest neighborhoods in LA, plus the bike is stored in a private locked garage. Also I'm 25 with a clean record.

I'm thinking about putting my Land Rover on the policy and going with State Farm, which would cost me about $120 a month.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well there you go...you live in culver..you kind of need to go away from downtown...to get decent prices...

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well there you go...you live in culver..you kind of need to go away from downtown...to get decent prices...
I don't live in downtown LA i live in downtown Culver City.

·
Registered
659 Posts
But its really close to LA....thats your problem. IMO its not the safety aspect, but rather the amount of traffic, what the city has to offer in terms of amount of people cars and things of that nature. I thought the san fernando valley would get a decent price, but because of the amount of people living here, and the high traffic volume...i origianlly got offered 588(at best) every 6 months. Just google up some OC or any beach city zip and tell them the bike is being stored there. And what you said earlier about the bike being stored in a garage...they don't care about that. ITs more like if its stored in an area where its safe in terms of accidents, then you are less likely to put yourself into an accident.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
659 Posts
^np man..let me know how things work out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts