Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Jeffro600 said:
At 17 you gonna get raped through most any company...but i would check state farm...theve been by far the cheapest ive ever seen, to include USAA.
USAA will beat the pants off State Farm if you are in the right state. The problem is, USAA is different state to state. In some states they won't insure bikes at all, in some they do, but they underwrite the policies through progressive which makes the rates on them outrageous, and in a few lucky states, they still insure the bikes directly and have awsome rates.

As Jerrro600 said though, rates vary but generally if you're not a cantidate for USAA, State Farms is usually the best. However, if you don't have your cars through them or if you have any tickets they won't insure your bike either. If that's the case, check with Foremost insurance. Definitely higher priced that State Farm but they'll insure you for a decent rate when people like progressive want to bend you over and do you dry.

·
Registered
928 Posts
USAA is not offering new motorcycle policies. They will continue if you have an exsisting policy only. State Farm and Progressive ended up providing me the best quotes.

I am in Texas, over 25 (okay 40), and I have a few tickets. Full coverage was about $1,600 per year. Not sure what it would be with a clean driving record.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i'm with ALL-STATE and i'm about to get a 2005 SV650S, with them i'll be paying $360 a year. oh and i'm 16!

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
289 a year with State Farm for me. One speeding ticket, married, full coverage with 50 dollar deductibles. USAA will open new polices, you just have to be in the right state. I know SC for one allows new polices.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Jeffro600 said:
Do you have a list of states that USAA will open bike policies with...not underwrite them??
No, I just know that because last time I was talking to them on the phone the rep told me that. I only know SC is that way because they started to quote me as a SC resident before they realized I was in Georgia.

·
Registered
573 Posts
State Farm. They only base it n CC's, age, and driving record. I recently sold a 03 Harley 883, and the 600RR is less than the Harley by $75 per 6 months. But State Farm will only insure your bike if your auto is with them. A friend of mine tried to get a Gixxer and they told him they would not even insure it at any cost, blackballed. Not sure of the Insurance company he dealt with.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I would love to know why so many people are told that State Farm will not cover you if you don't insure you cars through them as well. I seriously think they just say it to get you to sign up. I have State farm for my bike only. ($330 a year) When I signed up, they asked if I wanted to include my cars as well. They couldn't beat my current rates, so I told them no. End of story. I also had two speeding tickets, one of which was a 65 in a 25. (before anyone rips me for this one, it was 2:00am in an industrial park. No other traffic at all. Me and a few others just seeing how fast our cars were.) My point is, there is either vastly different criteria from state to state, or someone is lying to you guys.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was in the same situation, but i was 18.... now im 20. But Your gonna have to get a used bike. Unless your extraordinarily rich you wont be able to afford a new bike. The only way to get insured without having to pay thousands of dollars a year will be Liability, until you've had your liscence for 3 years. Then the price drops substantially.

This is what i did.

- Saved up for 2 years
- Took the MSF Course when i was 17
- Used my graduation money from my family at 18 and Baught a Used 04 RR with 1900 Miles on it for 6600 out the door
- Got LIABILITY INSURANCE through a company called Markels Insurance Company.
- And i pay 192 Dollars a Year.

Thats pretty much the only way to go.

So this is what i think you should do

1) Take the MSF Course
2) Buy an older bike
3) Pay for the bike Outright, because you're most likely going to go down/ drop the bike sometime in the first 3 months, and NO one wants to make payments on a Busted Bike. Plus you might not be able to afford the payments.
4) Get Liability Insurance, because anything else is really expensive.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
wuclan99 said:
I would love to know why so many people are told that State Farm will not cover you if you don't insure you cars through them as well. I seriously think they just say it to get you to sign up. I have State farm for my bike only. ($330 a year) When I signed up, they asked if I wanted to include my cars as well. They couldn't beat my current rates, so I told them no. End of story. I also had two speeding tickets, one of which was a 65 in a 25. (before anyone rips me for this one, it was 2:00am in an industrial park. No other traffic at all. Me and a few others just seeing how fast our cars were.) My point is, there is either vastly different criteria from state to state, or someone is lying to you guys.
Statefarm will cover you without a vehicle, but they rape you in the process...my bike alone through state farm would have been 200+ a month...with two other cars on my policy, just for the bike its 49 bucks. Their requirements do change state to state however, but in MOST states, this is how it is.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
wuclan99 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of State Farm agents straight lie to you about not being able to insure your bike alone. I was told that when I started with State Farm in January this year so I went ahead and put my cars with them as well even though USAA could give me a much better rate on my cars. However, the higher cost of my bike insurance anywhere else still would be higher than the increased car rates between USAA and State Farm. After my six months are up I may try to just not renew my cars and only renew the bike and see what happens. They are written on seperate policies so I'm thinking they may keep the bike alone even if the rate goes up a little.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Jeez guys...state farm does not "lie" to you. If you want to find out if they will cover you or not with or without an auto, just call their corporate offices to get an unbiased(un brokerized) opinion...if you talk to one of your "local" brokers though, god only knows what your buying! They will tell whats true and whats not.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Jeffro600 said:
Jeez guys...state farm does not "lie" to you. If you want to find out if they will cover you or not with or without an auto, just call their corporate offices to get an unbiased(un brokerized) opinion...if you talk to one of your "local" brokers though, god only knows what your buying! They will tell whats true and whats not.
OK, no, not state farm directly, but some of their individual agents....same thing IMO.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts