1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Street BOTM Winner 10/11
4,320 Posts
i thought you were going to comment on the presidential debate. lol

·
Registered
586 Posts
Looks like the speedo stopped at 299, but you actually went faster. I just don't see how the speedo could hit a wall like that at 299, and have it be actual speed. I think your bike went faster than indicated on your speedo.

Can you take a reading with the speedo on say 280, and see what the GPS says?

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Looks like the speedo stopped at 299, but you actually went faster. I just don't see how the speedo could hit a wall like that at 299, and have it be actual speed. I think your bike went faster than indicated on your speedo.

I may be wrong but doesn't the speedo max out at 299? And how does this end the debate? You were going faster than 299 on your speedo so we can't tell the exact amount it was off.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you watch it, when you first hit 299 on the speedo the gps is at 280 and doesn't seem to be lagging behind much at all as you aren't accellerating too quickly by then.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

Agreed...need to keep it a lower speed prior to maxing out to get a more accurate comparison.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Whoa now...That's not me.

I would at least wear full gear when tripling the speed limit on a public road.....

Remember, safety first.

EDIT: I didn't think about the speedo stopping counting @ 299. Thats gay, I figured that was limited and the GPS was catching up.

One of you guys throw your bike on the stand, in KPH, peg it out in 6th and tell us what it stopped at.

Again, thats not me

·
Drama Queen Extraordinaire
778 Posts
My 03 RR, I had 120/70, 180/55 tires with a 520 conversion -1,+3

Speedo read out at 172mph 6th gear red lined

Through math, actual speed was 146.6mph

I didn't have a GPS to verify.

·
Registered
606 Posts
^Oh and demented, it was on a closed course.
That's why he pulled along side s semi at the end.... Right....

If you go up to exactly 100, you can get the precise percentage off you are for your speedo healer. Say you take the bike to 100 on the GPS and the speedo reads 112, you know you're 12% off...

·
Drama Queen Extraordinaire
778 Posts
That's why he pulled along side s semi at the end.... Right....

If you go up to exactly 100, you can get the precise percentage off you are for your speedo healer. Say you take the bike to 100 on the GPS and the speedo reads 112, you know you're 12% off...
I was talking about my experience on my 600rr

Lies! Lies and slander!
Was waiting for you to chime in, :burnout:

·
Registered
383 Posts
It seemed like after he pegged 299 the GPS was indicating his bike was still trying to get up to that speed......Maybe the GPS was slower to record actual speed.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I think the speedo is off exponentially as one goes faster.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok...

We all already know speedometers are not 100% accurate.

And the innaccuracy must be exponential, or if it weren't, it would register some number other the zero when at a stop.
Brilliant!

The whole point of this thread was to try and see approximately how far off indicated speed is/was from actual speed on a GPS.

I don't really see the speedo stopping at 299 on its own, not like burying a needle in a car you know?
299kph converts to 185.7899 mph.... pretty close to 186mph.... Busa's limited at 186mph right?

I think the GPS is lagging a little, catching up to actual speed. Did you see how far it lagged when dude hammered down?

It would be nice if; liked mentioned earlier in this segment; someone could ride at an indicated 100mph on speedo, and check it against a GPS while manitaining 100mph.......Any takers??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts