Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Ontario, we have a 3 stage licensing system....first am "M1", which is a beginners license. It is good for 90 days, during which, an endorsed (MSF)course can be taken to obtain an "M2" license. Then, after a period of time, a "M" license can be obtained via test-out, and you are now a fully licensed rider. The M2 (including the MSF course) is almost mandatory in obtaining any kind of reasonable insurance rate on a CBR-RR....for obvious reasons! With an M1....you might as well buy a Ferrari as your first car?

Anyway, being a new rider up here in Canada, and having my M2 and course, I have recently gotten my first bike insurance policy. I shopped around big time, and was absolutely amazed at how much cheaper State Farm is then anybody else around. I'm talking huge difference in price. Unlike every other company I inquired with, State Farm does not differentiate between sport bikes and other bikes.....it is simply a "CC" issue. 650 being the next step!

But...I was also perplexed (big word...cool!) about something, 2 different insurance companies that I inquired with asked if it was an RR, or an F4i. I said RR, and asked what the difference in policies was? The answer was "same price for full package, but if it is an F4i, then no fire/theft policy without an alarm installed". I guess the theft rate must be that much higher???

·
Registered
928 Posts
I never heard that when shopping around about the F4i but I did know that a few companies, like State Farm quote based on CC's and not the style of bike. Good for us.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah I've also heard that State Farm is by far the cheapest, for most people, in Ontario. I'm not looking forward to shopping around next season though cause I know my rates are going to go up. I'm a student in Ontario, from Prince Edward Island, and right now I only pay $27 a month for full coverage, through an insurance company in PEI. I'm sure it's going to be a lot more than that in Ontario even though I have my full M and I'm 26. But we'll see I guess....keeping my fingers crossed that's for sure.

Jordan

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
voguesilverciv said:
Yeah I've also heard that State Farm is by far the cheapest, for most people, in Ontario. I'm not looking forward to shopping around next season though cause I know my rates are going to go up. I'm a student in Ontario, from Prince Edward Island, and right now I only pay $27 a month for full coverage, through an insurance company in PEI. I'm sure it's going to be a lot more than that in Ontario even though I have my full M and I'm 26. But we'll see I guess....keeping my fingers crossed that's for sure.

Jordan
Actually....the magic number was 700 bucks a year with State Farm ($54 a month)....if I put my car policy there too....which was quoted to me as the same price as my current car ins. co. ....or $1100 without my car, and no other ties to them! The best I could do anywhere else with my M2 and course was $2500 a year (7 quotes). Like I said.....big time savings, with or without my car policy.....AND......State Farm is the only one that would allow me to pay all year round instead of that 4 summertime payment system crap!!! Now...keep in mind I am in rural Hamilton, and have a clean driving history...and no tickets?? (knock on wood).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts