Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you guys who don't pay attention to the MX world, there is a man by the name of David Pingree who used to be a pro mx'r. Now he writes for RacerX. He has an online article where he answers questions and I thought this was a good one. What do you guys think?

p.s. In the MX community Pingree's word is law.

Dear Ping,
This may be outside your area of expertise but I would like to get your thoughts on road riding etiquette because the sad truth is that I don’t get on my dirt bike nearly as much as I’m fortunate to ride my road bike to work. One of the cool things about motorcyclists is the fraternity and solidarity that transcends virtually all styles of riders whether it’s crotch rockets, cruisers, dual sports, hogs, supermotos or sport touring. It doesn’t matter if you are at a stoplight or riding past each other at a combined speed of 120 mph, there is almost always a salutation of some sort whether it’s a nod of the head or a gesture with the clutch hand. It’s our way of saying, “peace, nice bike, ride safely, two wheels are better than four, etc.”

I say virtually all styles riders because I’m not quite sure how to handle the growing number of scooter riders taking to the road these days, nor do they seem to be aware of this unspoken language. Part of me wants to sympathize with their efforts to save money on gas and applaud their entry into the world of two wheels and yet another part of me keeps hearing the old adage about mopeds and other forms of less attractive chassis, “they are fun to ride but don’t let your friends see you on one.”

So my question is, should I welcome these two-wheeled, red-headed step cousins into the brother/sisterhood of motorcycle sublimation and extend my good graces or would doing so be a bastardization of everything that is holy and sacrosanct about riding the world on two wheels? If you think they should be welcomed and indoctrinated with the proper respects then I will do my part to share the love. However, if you think that would be uncool, I could just as easily flip them off.

As usual, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Adam

Dear Adam,
Oh, that’s a toughie. On the one hand you’re glad to see more people joining the brotherhood of all things two-wheeled, even if it is on a bike built for their little sister. On the other hand its kind of hard not to point and shout, “Haha!” like Nelson from The Simpson’s every time you see a man ride by on one of those emasculated machines. I’ll tell you what: Do your best to ignore them for now. There are plenty of great bikes out there, many of them very affordable and easy to ride, so they don’t have any excuse not to get a real machine and get rid of their current bike, which was built for passengers with female reproductive parts. If they don’t realize that they are embarrassing themselves after a certain amount of time than I will give you the green light to pull out your middle finger and get to work. Happy riding.

PING

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
hahaha...nice:icon_lol:

·
Registered
293 Posts
haha wow

i have been having alot of people on scooters waving to me as i ride past on my bike... i just think its funny....if they wave to me ill wave back but i dont wave at everyone that i drive by

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
I wave, but laugh at the same time. Ping is right though, why ride a scooter? Just buy a Kawi 250R, great on gas and you don't look like a pansy. Plus there cheap for a brand new bike

·
Registered
743 Posts
I wave, but laugh at the same time. Ping is right though, why ride a scooter? Just buy a Kawi 250R, great on gas and you don't look like a pansy. Plus there cheap for a brand new bike
lol, that is an awesome suggestion, BUT they are almost impossible to find. You have to put an early deposit down on one almost to get one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts