Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out about this today but was wondering if any of you can give some insight on this situation. My roomates friend ( also our neighbor ) has a friend down in mass who is stuck with a bike that one of her friends left with her. I belive it to be an 07-09 CBR600RR but am waiting for pictures to be sure. The bike was bought by a young girl ( early 20's I believe) and was never ridden b/c she does not have her licence ( not sure why she did not have her permit ) but either way the bike was left at her friends house and the friend has been trying to contact her for over a year for her to come and get the bike.

It is at an apartment complex and taking up one of the tenent parking spots. Every attempt to contact the owner of the bike results in no communication as far as the issue of the bike. The girl that owns it lives here in Maine now but the bike is down in mass. It has never been registerd or insured and the title is with the bike. The friend who is stuck with the bike wants to get rid of it but is unsure how. She does not know if she can just sell it or not. The girl that owns it has been down to mass in the past year but just seems unwilling to get the bike or any need to want it. Apparently she has rich parents from what I was told so I'm sure its not high on her priority list apparently. My question is that is there anyway to legally obtain this bike? The girl who is stuck with it is willing to just give it to my roomate and she would then let me have it but I do not want any legal hang ups. Is this bike considered abondoned? Attemtps to contact the owner have been made and no attempt by the owner to come and get it. The owner knows it is there but does not seem interested in actually getting it.

I also offered to bring the bike here and store it at my place to get it out of the parking spot at the apt complex but of course I would not ride the bike or treat it as my own. So what course of action should be taken? Is there anyway I can end up getting this bike w/ out a few years from now going to jail for being in possesion of a stolen bike lol?

Thanks for the advise guys. Sorry for any foggy deails I am still trying to find out more myself. Also I am not sure if this bike was bought new and paid for or bought used considering the title is with it.

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
I would think you/or current bike possessor could go to the dmv and apply for a lost title. They can run vin to see if bike has any stolen liens.

Seems to me the best way would be to have current person with bike apply tho so he/she can document the bike being abandoned and in her possession. Then sell/sign over to you. That way if it's ever reported stolen there's a paper trail.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would say call your local DMV and see if there's any laws regarding abandoned vehicles. Make sure you tell them that the person at the apt complex has possession of the title. Chances are they'll just want it towed to a police impound yard where it will sit for even longer, and eventually auctioned off or scrapped.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just noticed title is with bike. No way to get owner to just sign off the title?
Just sign that sh*t.... He he he. Done and done. She obviously doesn't care or want the poor bike. Seriously though, I would call a lawyer. The roommate probably has a claim. I watch a lot of stupid court shows and usually of a roommate leaves belongings for a period of time and won't return calls or make an effort to get the belongings the roommate can get rid of them.

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm still not sure on how the bike ended up there. The girl that "owns" it and the girl that is trying to get rid of it were never roomates but the bike ended up at this girls apt complex somehow and the friend just never came to get it. Guess I need to find out what year it actually is and if its a 600RR or not or if its new or used. Kinda makes me wonder if the title is singed as well.....

Not dig on females but this all invoves my friend, our nex door neighbor who is freinds with the girl that has the bike at the apt complex and the owner of the bike who is also female but 3 out of the 4 dont know much about bikes as far as the actual type even though I was told it was a sliver and blue 600RR but I'm not positive. I wish I could get her to turn the key to see the mileage to know if its new or used. As stated the title is with the bike along w/ the keys.

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
Lol Ill take it.

Here is some dmv q&a for ma:
http://dmvanswers.com/search/Massachusetts/Abandoned-Vehicle-Title

What is required to obtain an abandoned vehicle title?Obtaining an abandoned vehicle title for a vehicle left on your property is usually a joint process between the DMV and law enforcement. To find the specific requirements for your state, try contactin...

How do I claim ownership of an abandoned vehicle?There is no countrywide or even statewide rule for abandoned vehicles. The statutes for obtaining ownership are usually defined by your state and/or town of residence. For a definitive answer contact...

What are the vehicle title fees in Massachusetts?Massachusetts Vehicle Title Transactions and Fees There are a lot of title transfer or vehicle title situations, ...

How do I title a vehicle in my name after I pay off the car loan?If you’re like the majority of American drivers, you used an auto loan to purchase your vehicle. Until the loan is paid off, the lien holder maintains the car title. This is because the lien ho...

Is a title transfer required when giving a vehicle as a gift?Gift, Gifts and Gifting Yes, a title transfer is required when giving used cars as gifts. All states have different title transfer requirements, but you'll find gifting is similar to any other car ti...

Do I need to transfer the vehicle title as the surviving spouse?Surviving Spouse Title Transfer It's in your best interest to transfer the title into your name. This will eliminate any future snags or complications should you try to sell the vehicle. Before takin...

After paying off an auto loan, how do I get the lien removed and title the vehicle in my name in MA? Massachusetts ... to accomplish this matter once you've satisfied the terms of your car loan. Electronic Lien and Title Transfer The RMV uses an Electronic Lien and Title (ELT) program that allows lienholders to e...

How does title information end up on vehicle history reports?...ownership information reported on a vehicle history report is up to date and accurate. Order a Vehicle History Report To review title information on a used car, you can contact the DMV directly....

Will a vehicle history report check for a clean vehicle title?Absolutely. In fact, many people use a vehicle history report just for that purpose. It's so important to know - before you buy a vehicle - that everything is in order with its paperwork and history. ...

How hard is switching names on a vehicle title?Not that hard – as long as you have all the required documents and fees. Each state has its own procedure when it comes to switching names on a vehicle title, which is also called a title trans...

What is required to legally operate a salvage title vehicle on Massachusetts roads?Massachusetts You'll first need to gather a bunch of paperwork as part of this title process, including: The salvage title. A completed application for inspection form (available online through the RMV). ...

How is vehicle abandonment defined?..., contact the Department of Motor Vehicle division in your state. ... contact your local DMV branch. Titles for Abandoned Vehicles Af...

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, I was looking for links like that. I'll read up on it more later when I get home. If I can get this thing quick and for cheap it will be the best thing to happen in a long time.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Don't **** over the girl who has the bike at her apartment complex, either, though.

She's had to look after that thing for a year or more and you're going to just take it or have her sign it over for a dollar?

Compensate her, maybe not with resale value of the bike but at least a percentage.

No reason to take it from her when she could sell it for $5000, that's wrong.

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not the one getting it directly its my roommate and she said she would give it to me. That girl said she just wants it gone, she will give it away to a friend or sell it if she does not know them.

I'm finding out more details about it later. One thing I misunderstood before was that the bike is actually here in Maine, the girl that "owns"it moved down to mass so I think its pretty local to me but I'll find out exactly where hopefully later today.

If the bike is given to my roommate and then given to me who am I to compensate anyone when its been free gifted twice? I never kicked my roommate out when she lost her job and I paid for her part of the rent and pretty much carried her for a over a year and put myself in debt over it so if she wants to give me a bike I'm not going to second guess it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't think it's right to take an item from someone who could sell it for thousands without compensating them at all.

Must be a southern thing, who knows.

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not taking anything, Its possible that it is being offered to someone and then offered to me. They know damn well they can sell it once all the paper work is submitted and its considered abandoned. I'm not going to hold her hand and tell her she needs to sell it, if she wants to give it away then that's her choice, its common sense. Must be Northern thing.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
you would have to send a notice to the owner, just like a eviction notice, that she has one month to claim whats hers or it is forfeited. Best bet would be to talk to either the dmv, or even a tow yard. They deal with that crap all the time

·
Registered
573 Posts
Lol compensate the girl because she had to "look at it" at her apartment complex for a period of time? People think they're owed something for nothing these days don't they. The bike is parked outside of an apartment that she rents, I can say with 100% certainty that there are other vehicles parked in that same lot. You doing the legwork to remove the bike will be compensation enough, no need to pay that chick any amount of money that she didn't earn.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I agree with oveRRide, I'd pay some sort of cash as a sign of appreciation. You sound rather ungrateful of the fact you may be getting a clean bike for cheap, I mean free. That girl has no reason to give it to a friend that would in turn give it to you(which I'm sure the girl knows it would be going to you) when she can make solid cash off it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
663 Posts
Lol compensate the girl because she had to "look at it" at her apartment complex for a period of time? People think they're owed something for nothing these days don't they. The bike is parked outside of an apartment that she rents, I can say with 100% certainty that there are other vehicles parked in that same lot. You doing the legwork to remove the bike will be compensation enough, no need to pay that chick any amount of money that she didn't earn.
So if you were her you would give it away and not worry about getting anything for it?

Damn. Where are y'alls manners? Doesn't matter if she isn't asking for it, it's polite to at least offer.

And what's other cars being in the lot have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Man that is a tough one! Every state has different laws, so I would contact an attorney.

But if it was me in Alaska. I would first try to get a power of attorney, then just sign the title over. If she can't even be bothered to do that, it would be very tempting to just sign her name. But you could get in some serious trouble with that.

Actually if the bike was going to be mine. I would drive/fly whatever to where the current owner lives, and just have her sign the title. Even if it costs a few bucks to do, you are still getting a bike for nearly free.

Oh not sure if you mentioned or was asked, but there isn't a lien/loan on it correct? If there is, I would just contact the bank and let them pick it up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts