Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motomatters interviewed Mike Webb, race director for motogp.

Part 1

Part 2

Couple of interesting thoughts based on his comments.

The lack of consistency in applying points is a serious problem. The idea of penalizing based on precedent is just stupid. Either you penalize for aggressive riding or don't, but waiting to penalize based on previous precedent fails to change behavior which is what your are trying to do. Some type of rolling points system needs to be instituted where penalty points are carried over to sometime the next race year.

If they knew the penalty at PI was exclusion, why didn't they just put that on the paper as well. Wouldn't have changed what happened to Marquez IMO, as they just made a boneheaded decision, but if you know what the penalty is going to be just let everyone know that.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Thanks for posting, definitely an interesting read. I agree with some things but not all. Precedent sometimes plays a role whether you like it or not, but you still have to look at the subtleties of every situation. I personally thought Marquez's move at Jerez was more audacious than Rossi's. Both were very hard racing, but not exactly similar.

The whole points system and whether points should have an expiry or not is interesting, but I don't think they should carry over to the proceeding season.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Imagine a court system where precedence didn't play a role in sentencing. A system where first time offenders are given the same sentencing as repeat offenders? Inherently we would revolt saying that some leniency is needed for first time offenders and harsher penalties for repeat offenders.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Imagine a court system where precedence didn't play a role in sentencing. A system where first time offenders are given the same sentencing as repeat offenders? Inherently we would revolt saying that some leniency is needed for first time offenders and harsher penalties for repeat offenders.
Yes, in general, repeat offenders deserve harsher penalties. But the type of offense plays a role. A rapist doesn't deserve an ounce of leniency whether its his first or fifth conviction.

Maybe having two different type of offences would be a better bet. Sort of like yellow and red cards in football. In a racing application, the red card would carry on to next season but the yellow wouldn't. Gets a bit complicated I know but it's a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts