Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I do a lot of commuting, which means a lot of tolls. I don't know how many states even use the Ipass system, but Illinois does. I don't really want to mount my Ipass on my bike, or carry it with me everywhere, so my question is, do the Ipass cameras even detect motorcycles, or are they not big enough? And can the cameras even read my plate because of the way I have it mounted? I have a bracket mount where its mounted way under the exhaust and angled down a bit. I might have already answered my own question though, because I've been going through tolls for awhile not and haven't seen anything in the mail. Also I sometimes try to drive really close next to the car in front of me so when their ipass is registered on the "open road tolling" lane, where its 50mph, that it just kinda counts me too and doesn't take a picture?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I hate this state. More $, More $, More $. I just posted not long ago about magnets under my bike to trigger inductive loop stoplights. It works. I "think" the IPASS sensors work the same way. I don't know how sensative they are but if traffic signals can't detect us, maybe the IPASS can't. But then you have the offramps with tolls. THose might be harder to get past. I just don't ride the bike on the tollroads. I set my GPS to route me away from tolls.

Now to rant:

The tolls DO NOT GO TO THE UPKEEP OF THE ROADS, as my IL neighbor knows all too well. That money got blown on Payoffs to various Orgs, individuals, and social classes, legal or otherwise. Money's gone, so what did IL do??? We put a mole in the White House. At least the roads are starting to get fixed due to the home court advantage... kinda pissed they are still doing gravel shoulders though.. Nice new pavement covered in marbles. LOL

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
The IL toll lanes definitely pick up bikes.

I lost my license plate on the way out there in March, so I decided to just go through the Ipass/EZpass lanes the whole way to Bristol, Illinois. I looked back each time and saw the lights above me light up for the camera to snap a picture. I didn't have a plate though, so I didn't have to worry about it.

The thing you have to look out for is if there are cops sitting right near the toll booths. They will get your ass on the spot, then you're screwed with BIG fines.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Last time i was out coming back from Wisconsin i ran out of cash after the first toll, so i blew every single one by drive through the I-pass lanes. That was back in December and i have yet to hear anything about that. So as far as i see it, i'm just going to blow them all again on my way to Wisconsin in September...screw it!

·
Registered
140 Posts
If the one you have is small enough you can either put it in one of your inside pockets of your jacket or in your tail in you have enough room in there... Mine doesn't..

Up here in ME its also called EZpass

·
Registered
444 Posts
You do not have to carry your IPASS with you. If you register on their IPASS site, you can put in your license plate. When you drive/ride thru their IPASS lanes, their cameras will pick up your plates (assuming it was visible) and the toll amount deducted from your IPASS account automatically.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So I do a lot of commuting, which means a lot of tolls. I don't know how many states even use the Ipass system, but Illinois does. I don't really want to mount my Ipass on my bike, or carry it with me everywhere, so my question is, do the Ipass cameras even detect motorcycles, or are they not big enough? And can the cameras even read my plate because of the way I have it mounted? I have a bracket mount where its mounted way under the exhaust and angled down a bit. I might have already answered my own question though, because I've been going through tolls for awhile not and haven't seen anything in the mail. Also I sometimes try to drive really close next to the car in front of me so when their ipass is registered on the "open road tolling" lane, where its 50mph, that it just kinda counts me too and doesn't take a picture?
So...just to get this right?...you want to break the law and not pay for the toll because you are too lazy or don't like the look of the Ipass on your bike? Yes, the cameras can read your license plate. Yeah you answered your own question.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You do not have to carry your IPASS with you. If you register on their IPASS site, you can put in your license plate. When you drive/ride thru their IPASS lanes, their cameras will pick up your plates (assuming it was visible) and the toll amount deducted from your IPASS account automatically.
You are correct. you dont have to have the ipass on you. Here's what my online account says.

Date/Time Type Amount Agency Location* Plaza Lic Plate
05/01/09 VTOLL ($0.25) ISTHA Plz 79-Butterfield Rd. 79
08:23 AM -Ln 04

On a couple of occasions, it did not pickup my licence plate (atleast it does not list in my account which one of my vehicle passed the toll) but somehow the toll system knew it was my bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts